Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Motocross sidecar  (Read 695 times)

Offline Oggy

Motocross sidecar
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:19:43 am »
Hi Folks, newbie to the site and looking for some info etc... I'm moving to CT in January and bringing my MX sidecar with me, hoping to road register it there. It's a BSU KTM 640 and does not have lights. Day time registration (no lights required) is permissible where I come from (the Isle of Man) but I was wondering if that is possible in SA?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Motocross sidecar
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 08:29:59 am »
I think a minimum set of lights will be required here, and the Cape police are more "educated" in the requirements (but not like the UK) and once registered no annual MOT etc only when you resell, always fancied one of those sidecars, I was a monkey back in the days on a grass track outfit.  ::)

Get as much paperwork as possible, police clearance, frame numbers etc etc, others may be able to give more info. expect some work and a couple of days in queues, its not UK style here. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:36:11 am by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Oggy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 08:55:48 am »
Morning Welsh... I got that feeling it ain't gonna be so easy. The bike doesn't even have a chassis number, but I reckon it might get one soon 😉 Decided to put it through its Manx day time reg to legitimise it a little bit, at least I'll have an export document showing previous road registration! Trawling Ebay for E stamped lights etc, I'm sure it's easier getting the stuff here than in SA.

Online Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 08:56:18 am »
Cool   :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 09:03:19 am »
Morning Welsh... I got that feeling it ain't gonna be so easy. The bike doesn't even have a chassis number, but I reckon it might get one soon 😉 Decided to put it through its Manx day time reg to legitimise it a little bit, at least I'll have an export document showing previous road registration! Trawling Ebay for E stamped lights etc, I'm sure it's easier getting the stuff here than in SA.

Chassis number a definite, "E" stamp much less an issue and the testing stations are NOTHING like the UK (technical knowledge minimal), but the licence authorities like paperwork, proof of ownership, Police Clearance etc.

Speedo needed but a bicycle type one is fine, sidecars are almost ignored by legislation here, but getting a home built trailer registered is near impossible.   ::)

I know your island a little, my cousin raced there, back in the mid 60's my cousin was monkey and mechanic on the midlands sidecar championship winning outfit, they ran 750 Puma Triumph's then Konig boat engine two strokes, then TZ700's from memory. He still rides at 70+ probably much better than me. :biggrin: 

The sidecar guys on here like Gerrard are quite well educated legally, they went into dodgy legal professions and will hopefully advise on whether or not you need to bolt in a plastic garden chair for the passenger to get it through the test.  ::) 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 09:20:45 am by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 01:45:43 pm »
There were roadworthy kits available for mx bikes a while back. Ran off a separate battery pack, as I recall.Good enough for a roadworthy test.Get hold of justbendit, he might be clued up on what to do in your area, regarding licensing, etc.

Do those mx sidecars have drive to the 3rd wheel?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 01:47:38 pm »
There were roadworthy kits available for mx bikes a while back. Ran off a separate battery pack, as I recall.Good enough for a roadworthy test.Get hold of justbendit, he might be clued up on what to do in your area, regarding licensing, etc.

Do those mx sidecars have drive to the 3rd wheel?
No drive as far as I know, not needed on a 640 😎
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Old Bugger

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Silence is better than BULLSH*T
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 01:51:47 pm »
That is nice!!! 8)

Offline Oggy

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 02:02:53 pm »
Will think about that chassis number issue! I spoke to the guy that developed the BSU and they never gave them chassis numbers.
It's rear wheel drive only, I think the Ural is probably the only one with two wheel drive.
Actually this BSU is a Ural of a fashion, the U part of BSU is Ural as they were built by Ural to the specification of the company in the Netherlands Brouwer (Motors)Siep (Development) Ural (Manufacturer) is BSU.
I saw those lighting kits for sale, but I think I can do better, plus it has a charging circuit and battery still.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 04:03:59 pm »
Will think about that chassis number issue! I spoke to the guy that developed the BSU and they never gave them chassis numbers.
It's rear wheel drive only, I think the Ural is probably the only one with two wheel drive.
Actually this BSU is a Ural of a fashion, the U part of BSU is Ural as they were built by Ural to the specification of the company in the Netherlands Brouwer (Motors)Siep (Development) Ural (Manufacturer) is BSU.
I saw those lighting kits for sale, but I think I can do better, plus it has a charging circuit and battery still.

Make a plan on the chassis number, its an issue, an aquaintance had a Stanley Steamer, couldn't register it, eventually he and the testing guy found a number stamped in the firebox, used it as the chassis number all cool.  :biggrin:
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Oggy

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 06:29:13 pm »
Thinking I get some stamps n knock letters n numbers into a piece of stainless plate and rivet it on!
TZ700 outfits, those were the days! I used to race a Maxton TZ350, Spondon TZ350 and an RC30 amongst other things, even a Domi racer and and a Triton...

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 06:47:53 pm »
The Pumas were a 750cc kit for the triumphs, with stupid machined cranks minimal flywheel weight etc, the Konig and TZ a different era, I guess you know the mid Wales region, I was dragged up there enduro’s and silly road bikes for the twisties, had I have stayed I probably wouldn’t be alive. 😎
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 06:55:06 pm »
 :dousing:
Thinking I get some stamps n knock letters n numbers into a piece of stainless plate and rivet it on!
TZ700 outfits, those were the days! I used to race a Maxton TZ350, Spondon TZ350 and an RC30 amongst other things, even a Domi racer and and a Triton...
Find a suitable number on the registration document or something and stamp the frame, a plate may not cut it, others can advise,  I had a “road legal” Montessa Capra I raced in enduro’s over there, it had lights etc, driven by a dry cell battery in the air box. 😎
A very silly Suzuki GS750B with an 820 kit smooth bore Mikunis and morawaki cams etc, an animal but big grins.
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Oggy

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 07:29:33 pm »
I recall something like the Puma and also the Morgo and NRE stuff, how inventive they were... I had a GS1000, an ill handling beast, and an RGB500 MK7 like Bazza used to ride, wish I still had them 😒😒😒 Will have to think quick about this chassis number, thinking to use the KTM engine number in combination wirh the letters BSU, don't fancy stamping the frame if at all possible.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 07:31:47 pm »
I recall something like the Puma and also the Morgo and NRE stuff, how inventive they were... I had a GS1000, an ill handling beast, and an RGB500 MK7 like Bazza used to ride, wish I still had them 😒😒😒 Will have to think quick about this chassis number, thinking to use the KTM engine number in combination wirh the letters BSU, don't fancy stamping the frame if at all possible.

I am sure someone more intelligent will advise tomorrow.  :sip:
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 11:44:22 am »
I have a sidecar on a registered bike. To register as a bike with sidecar is a schlep. I cant even begin to fathom the problems you going to have. Just ride it. I've been stopped at several roadblocks and the cops have no idea what they looking at, except it looks cool in a selfie.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 11:51:58 am »
In SA you have two types of bike registration. Motor cycle without sidecar and motorcycle with sidecar. The only way I think you'll get it registered here, is to first get it registered as road legal where you are as motorcycle with sidecar. 

Then when you have it here you find someone who does grey imports to help you with the paper work to get it on E-Natis.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:55:05 am by Gérrard »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

The following users thanked this post: Oggy

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 01:26:54 pm »
Hi Folks, newbie to the site and looking for some info etc... I'm moving to CT in January and bringing my MX sidecar with me, hoping to road register it there. It's a BSU KTM 640 and does not have lights. Day time registration (no lights required) is permissible where I come from (the Isle of Man) but I was wondering if that is possible in SA?  Thanks in advance.
Not going to happen in SA, that is deemed an unroadworthy vehicle, same as quads, off road and MX competition bikes. But looks like heaps of fun on a track or the Isle of Man where the authorities are bike crazy and let a lot slide... :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:39:26 pm by RobC »

The following users thanked this post: Oggy

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 01:33:16 pm »
I am catching tips!!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
I see not all the sidecars are on the same side? Is there a rule  or can you fit it were you like it best?

MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 04:33:41 pm »
Going back many years, but I built a Triumph Trident with a 'factory' frame which had no number. Getting registered as a new road bike was no great problem but the frame number - which I devised and included my initials - had to be stamped into the metal of the frame. A riveted on plate was not acceptable.

Probably bears no relevance to today's regulations in South Africa.  ::)
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.