Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tragedy at Bush Boys Adventure Camp  (Read 1382 times)

Offline DjfLoYd

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Wannabe Dirt Ninja
Tragedy at Bush Boys Adventure Camp
« on: November 30, 2020, 08:09:20 am »
Not sure if folks have seen this. Spare a thought for Joe and Ruth. This must have been very traumatic. I'm posting this here only as a show of
support for them and to make people aware that it seems no place in this land is safe anymore. Also my sincere condolences to the victim's family.

It's one of my favourite places in the area (along with Highside) and I hope they can survive this mess. Strongs to them.

https://wecanstopthegenocide.com/2020/11/27/len-pretorius-murdered-at-unsafe-adventure-camp/?fbclid=IwAR0kM0U2niUS4ceuickM7-EC1KD7UPobhdmuCtDxkZ8Vno8hAF56YWkO3m8

Online Mev Vis Arend

Re: Tragedy at Bush Boys Adventure Camp
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 08:31:02 am »
My hart huil  :'( :'( :'(

Sterkte vir hulle en hul liefmense. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Shake what ya mama gave you.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:33:27 am »
Sad story, but a very kak article that seems to want to place the blame on Uncle Joe for not making a absolutely beautiful bush setting into a guarded prison.

The following users thanked this post: RobC, BullFrog, OomD

Offline DjfLoYd

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:39:21 am »
I also thought that. If we wanted burglar bars and armed guards we could've just stayed home in Gauteng.

Sad story, but a very kak article that seems to want to place the blame on Uncle Joe for not making a absolutely beautiful bush setting into a guarded prison.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 09:07:01 am »
Read the article and I have to say that the "attack" on the owners is clearly unwarranted. No burglar bars can save you from bullets. :'(

Offline bud500

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 09:17:30 am »

Agreed. Dis kak!
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 09:20:52 am »
I was there 2 weeks ago with the 2nd group ride after lockdown and Joe is fantastic host, known him for many years.
This is very sad and. unfortunate and probably happened because they were the only people in the camp? I think the golden rule in SA is to always expect the worse everywhere and be prepared for it as much as you can.
I will keep on supporting Joe and go back there as soon as possible.
I have no respect for the local media and try not to support them ever !!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:24:02 am by SchalkL »
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

The following users thanked this post: dirtyXT, XRRX

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 09:39:21 am »

Agreed. Dis kak!

Agree. No fault of the owners
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline MonkeyNot

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 10:55:38 am »

Agreed. Dis kak!

Agree. No fault of the owners

+1
Current: KTM 790 Adv R,  KTM 500 XCW-F
Previous: KTM 950 Super Enduro R, KTM 990 Adv x2, BMW G650 X-Challenge x4,  Yamaha XT 660R,  Honda XR650L, BMW R1200GS

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 11:36:45 am »
It's incidents and opportunistic crimes like these which will simply kill what is left of the tourism industry.

Strongs to the owners, I hope that this doesnt sink their life savings.

I also hope that there will be complaints about how this article was written.. shoddy to say the least,
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 12:53:56 pm »
It is reality that the onus is on the owner of any SA travel destination to safeguard his patrons.

Otherwise it is goodbye patrons.

It is simply part of the impossible to rescue SA scenario.

The following users thanked this post: petri oosthuizen

Offline BLK

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 01:08:45 pm »
It is a disgusting state of affairs that all law abiding citizens find themselves in this prediciment.This appauling ANC government should be charged in an international court for all its misdemeanors.Enough said.

The following users thanked this post: RobC, XRRX

Online petri oosthuizen

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 01:37:41 pm »
ONLY one to blame here is our Govt that let Crime Stats soar to the horrific level it currently is, with no hopes (plans) of it getting better in the foreseeable future.

A bush camp or rustic camping is exactly what it is.

NONE of us want to go for a breakaway and lock yourself in behind alarms/fences/bars anyway - rather then just stay home.

This is tragic.

Not just the terrible Murder, but also the way we are forced to live.

Even more tragic.........is that we are getting more and more "used"  to this, up to the point where we all just accept this kak we all find ourselves in.
XT 600 Tenere

Offline bud500

• Grey hound
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 02:25:32 pm »
It is reality that the onus is on the owner of any SA travel destination to safeguard his patrons.

Otherwise it is goodbye patrons.

It is simply part of the impossible to rescue SA scenario.

This is the problem.

I agree an owner should take reasonable precautions. But at the level of crime in this country, that risk is shared and not just on an owner.
If I decide to book accommodation in the bush, I assume some of the risk as well. I for one don't want to sit in a cage and look at the veld.
There are very few places you can feel safe in SA, there are even less where you actually are safe in SA.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 02:56:05 pm »
And this is the tragedy of the day and a bigger problem at large. My family and I for the last 3 years go camping over Christmas and new year however with current happenings this now appears not too be the safest option it once used to be. The lockdown has created an additional 2 million unemployed people and counting. Of this 2 million + some will resort to opportunistic thuggery. Even the simple task of driving to these once Oasis's of peace is fraught with the potential of violent service delivery protests enroute. Even the national roads are a warzone with the current truck attacks. Its a fukup. Bottom line is dont let your guard down. Keep your loved ones close and If you are armed stay armed and be prepared. Thats just how life is for us at the moment.
Pass this way once!

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • This site contains cookies.....
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 03:17:18 pm »
And this is the tragedy of the day and a bigger problem at large. My family and I for the last 3 years go camping over Christmas and new year however with current happenings this now appears not too be the safest option it once used to be. The lockdown has created an additional 2 million unemployed people and counting. Of this 2 million + some will resort to opportunistic thuggery. Even the simple task of driving to these once Oasis's of peace is fraught with the potential of violent service delivery protests enroute. Even the national roads are a warzone with the current truck attacks. Its a fukup. Bottom line is dont let your guard down. Keep your loved ones close and If you are armed stay armed and be prepared. Thats just how life is for us at the moment.

:thumleft: shoot first, make sure there are no witnesses, get rid of the evidence..... it worked well for the maffia...... :peepwall:
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 03:45:21 pm »
Holy crap. I have stayed over at Joe's place plenty over the last few years. That is horrendous
:(

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline XRRX

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 04:02:20 pm »
F&%K!!! :angry4:

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 04:31:14 pm »

:thumleft: shoot first, make sure there are no witnesses, get rid of the evidence..... it worked well for the maffia...... :peepwall:

Will do what ever I need to in order to keep my family safe, even if that means doing nothing. That should go for us all. Vigilance is key at the moment.
Pass this way once!

Online Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 06:56:07 pm »
Got the news Sunday morning and have been in a bit of a haze since then. Iíve probably stayed with Joe and Ruth in  20 -25 times in the last 3 or 4 years. On several occasions it was just me and one or both of my young daughters.

My heart goes out to Joe especially who has done so much for adv biking in our part of the world. Heís seen more than his fair share of tragedy. I sincerely hope that this will not damper his enthusiasm for what he is trying to achieve at Bush Boys.