Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ rear wheel spacers, Choke mod, new spokes and clean hubs  (Read 410 times)

Offline PapaDragon

DRZ rear wheel spacers, Choke mod, new spokes and clean hubs
« on: December 06, 2020, 09:52:06 pm »
So, the spacers on the rear wheel, that go on the axle, and the seals fit over, are 29mm. The respective seals are 29*42*6, and 29*47*6. Seems these are almost impossible to find, with 29 shaft diameter being very uncommon, and 28*42*6, and 28*42*7 being easy to get.

So the spacers on my wheels are a bit graunched anyway, and I reckon getting them machined down to 28mm is a win win, sorting out the surface where the seal sits, and making finding seals much easier.

I know I could always get a sleeve to get back to 29, but any reason why I shouldn't go to 28 and use the easier to find seals that I am overlooking?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:20:37 am by PapaDragon »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things that you didn't do, than the things you did. Mark Twain

Offline PapaDragon

Re: DRZ rear wheel spacers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:49:50 pm »
So, the spacers on the rear wheel, that go on the axle, and the seals fit over, are 29mm. The respective seals are 29*42*6, and 29*47*6. Seems these are almost impossible to find, with 29 shaft diameter being very uncommon, and 28*42*6, and 28*42*7 being easy to get.

So the spacers on my wheels are a bit graunched anyway, and I reckon getting them machined down to 28mm is a win win, sorting out the surface where the seal sits, and making finding seals much easier.

I know I could always get a sleeve to get back to 29, but any reason why I shouldn't go to 28 and use the easier to find seals that I am overlooking?

Thanks

Any thought before they get machined tomorrow?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things that you didn't do, than the things you did. Mark Twain

Offline PapaDragon

Re: DRZ rear wheel spacers
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:02:28 pm »
New bearings and 28mm seals installed, hoping to get the 28mm machined spacers back from machining tomorrow, wheel back on tomorrow night and carb float bowl gasket changed Thusday evening.. then back on 2 wheels  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline PapaDragon

Re: DRZ rear wheel spacers and other stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 09:07:05 pm »
New bearings and 28mm seals installed, hoping to get the 28mm machined spacers back from machining tomorrow, wheel back on tomorrow night and carb float bowl gasket changed Thusday evening.. then back on 2 wheels  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Should get the spacers tomorrow morning..

Wheels are looking very bling with new SS spokes front and rear, laced and trued, and hubs media blast cleaned by @AfricaOffroad.

Will change float bowl gasket as soon as wheels are back on and i can wheel it to a suitable work area.

Another thing to sort is the choke lever on the FCR carb doesn't like the small space left for it by the IMS long range tank, and it's very difficult to keep the choke out, keep the clutch pulled in, and press the starter. (I may bypass the clutch switch as well). I do have 2 options, a choke from a FCR MX carb, which seems will fit with a shorter lever, or remove existing, and shorten lever and shaft.. will look into both..

Have a few cosmetic plastic options to consider as well

Can't wait to get 2 wheel petrol powered again!!

Online chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:29:15 pm »
Pics pse!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Yamaha T7 Tenere

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 09:33:39 pm »
Pics pse!

Weekend, and I definitely will!!

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 09:39:00 pm »
And a cool little windscreen that I got with the bike from @flex , it was very blustery without at 120+, mounted the screen but probably too steep, so I have lowered the angle, Hoping it's going to be sorted now..

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 09:50:03 pm »
Got the spacers back, machined to 28mm, and new bearings and 28mm seals at the back, all seems good, no play at all.
Installed them yesterday,

Was thinking carb float bowl gasket, choke shortening lever to allow for long range tank, would be a quick job, along with grinding off some of the new external air screw, to allow a little bit more clearance from the starter motor. Went for a run/walk this morning, and started about midday. anyway finished earlier this evening..

Here is a link for the reason for shortening the choke lever, along with what this guy did https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/286705-fcr-clarke-tank-fixed-the-choke-button-shaft-problem-solved-pictures/

This is what I posted to a fellow DRZ owner, with what I did, and seems to be good:

So i took the carb out, which is a mission in itself, but some of them seems that you don't need to take it out. Then removed  the choke body from the carb. The shaft was peened over on top of the knob, so I drilled that to drive the shaft out. Seems like some are not peened and can just be driven out.

I took 12mm off the shaft and the back end of the knob. Looking at the clearance on my last pic on the group, I could have taken off less.

The shaft had a taper and the last 10mm or so was narrower diameter then the rest, I drilled out the knob to allow for
this. Weird thing is I measured the shaft at 5mm with a vernier, and drilled the knob to 5mm, but I still had to ream the knob a fair bit to get the shaft to go in.

Like i say, I reckon I could have taken off less, so one day I will lean the bike over, pull the knob off the shaft a bit, and then glue with Q-Bond. It's a very tight fit now, I had to drive it on, would imagine it would be fine without glueing.

Seems to be a few different types of carb and choke lever.

Have new side covers which I got from Barend in Richards Bay, a member here whose WD name I forget.

Will put all that on shortly, test carb and tune, and then post pics of the awesome DRZ!!!

Online chopperpilot

• Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 10:14:37 pm »
Good progress made!

Remember the pics!

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 10:35:32 pm »

Remember the pics!

Definitely  :thumleft:

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 07:30:55 pm »

Remember the pics!

@chopperpilot , here you go..

I need to decide on the white or yellow side covers, so far opinion is on Suzuki Yellow!!

Last pic (if it loads in order), is of the modded choke lever with plenty space between it and the tank.

Online chopperpilot

• Grey hound
Re: DRZ rear wheel spacers, Choke mod, new spokes and clean hubs
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 08:06:39 pm »
Looking good!

The yellow or white will be a personal preference.

Yellow is Suzukis KTM orange...for the MX/Enduro bikes at least.

What year model is your DRZ, and kms?

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 09:36:33 pm »
Looking good!

The yellow or white will be a personal preference.

Yellow is Suzukis KTM orange...for the MX/Enduro bikes at least.

What year model is your DRZ, and kms?

Thanks, have the yellow with the stickers on now, have 2 sets of white sidecovers, one pretty good, and one need quite a bit of tlc.

2005 model, 24***ks on. Took for a short ride this afternoon, really feeling good, hope for a longer ride tomorrow weather and work permitting..

Perhaps you can help me with 2 things?
1) How do I set the time on the speedo? Can't figure that out..
2) I need to understand the "dry sump" oil in the frame thing..

Despite google searches, I'm not coming right with either..

Thanks for your comments  :thumleft: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:53:19 pm by PapaDragon »

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 03:23:31 pm »

Perhaps you can help me with 2 things?
1) How do I set the time on the speedo? Can't figure that out..
2) I need to understand the "dry sump" oil in the frame thing..

Despite google searches, I'm not coming right with either..

Thanks for your comments  :thumleft: :thumleft:
[/quote]

Just bumping this, anyone have any input on the 2 questions above? Thanks