Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: PE Wild Dogs do the PE 2008 Toy Run  (Read 592 times)

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
PE Wild Dogs do the PE 2008 Toy Run
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:10:26 pm »
This is not really a Ride Report as such, just some photographs showing some of the PE Wild Dogs in action at the annual 2008 Toy Run.

My pillion for the Run, KTM-Wanna-bee Woefie, getting ready for the day - his first off-road experience!

Pre-race briefing (off-road bikers).   The tar jockeys did not want to listen as they were to busy doing wheelies and making doughnuts.  Luckily somewhere else ...

The ever growing toy pile at the registration point.

Quite a few of the local Wild Dogs were not keen at all to follow the tar adventurers, and opted for the off-road route.  However, we decided to depart last, not being willing to be showered with stones and sand by the plastic crazies as they overtook us.

Wild Dogs in attendance:  Soon-to-be WD, Fugly, Tyger, SlowPoke, Watty, Redtiger, Gerhard.  Not in picture: TwoOneFour and KTM-Wanna-bee Woefie

First to go were the novices and little guys.

KTM-Wanna-bee Woefie keeping an excited eye on the procession.  Soon he will taste real dust!

Our first stoppie just before venturing into the lair of the Sand Monster.

Another stoppie to celebrate successfully getting thru the sand - only one not feeling so happy was KTM-Wanna-bee Woefie.

KTM-Wanna-bee Woefie made a big moan about to many ups and downs - he was feeling sea-sick.  Typical KTM rider - no stomach for the tough stuff.

Bikers everywhere.

Bikes of all types and sizes.

Reported figures of over 7 000 bikers registered for the 2008 PE Toy Run, 3 500 more than 2007!  

A Fantastic turnout  

Any other pictures taken in PE ... please add them...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:20:30 am by Watty »

Bospadda

Re: PE Wild Dogs do the PE 2008 Toy Run
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:27:52 pm »
 :thumleft: Nice write-up.  Did the tar route from Honda Wing in Walmer ... gee what a bunch of posers some of those road bikers can be  :P

ps Like your pillion Watty.

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Algoanet
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:06:11 pm »
Also did the tar route from Walmer. What a disappointment - Worst organised run EVER. There was no traffic marshalls to stop the cars at robots / crossings, with the result that that it did not look like a mass ride but rather small groups of bikes. 7000 bikes? one comment I heard from a spectator was that he thought it was only a couple of hundred bikes. everybody had to stop at the robots so there was only 50 to 100 bikes in a group with a lot of cages in between.

I for one will not be doing the mass ride on tar next year unless they get their act right. The idea of a mass ride is surely to keep the bunch together........... :(
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline Fugly

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:45:56 pm »
Fugly had a blast guys! Thanks Watty  :thumleft:
Don’t worry about things that aren’t, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline Go Big

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
I second that. poor organising! The finish at rover was also not suited for all bike types.
On the road run there was a guy down at the second traffic light!!!
THE FASTER YOU GO THE MORE YOU SEE!!!

Offline Carlos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • Design
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:21:09 pm »
I hate rover but it was a good cause

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Algoanet
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:47:30 pm »
I hate rover but it was a good cause

and thats about all....................................
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline SlowPoke

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Can't stop staring at Manic's avatar...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 04:21:58 pm »
Man I don't know which rover you okes went to. After the sand (which by the way was a m03r of alot of FUN!) and a short run on tar we were greeted with ice cold beers, a shady spot from where to ogle all the biker chicks and watch all the shenanigans. Boy were there some babes that made leather look GOOOOD! could not move Fugly from his post inna da corner!  :mwink:

I think we had the most fun out of everyone. Lekka sandy strips to play in, a shortish ride that did not leave us knackered and with black dust masks, and because we were finished early - good parking spots (for our bikes and bums). Our bit was well organized and fun.  :ricky:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in a large group...
There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary, those who do and those who don't

Offline Big E

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hou my BigE dop...ek wil vir jou ñ trick wys
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:35:03 pm »
Also did the tar route from Walmer. What a disappointment - Worst organised run EVER. There was no traffic marshalls to stop the cars at robots / crossings, with the result that that it did not look like a mass ride but rather small groups of bikes. 7000 bikes? one comment I heard from a spectator was that he thought it was only a couple of hundred bikes. everybody had to stop at the robots so there was only 50 to 100 bikes in a group with a lot of cages in between.

I for one will not be doing the mass ride on tar next year unless they get their act right. The idea of a mass ride is surely to keep the bunch together........... :(

Do you perhaps have any photo's of the guys that did the tarr route?
Nou kyk nou net waar het daai hond loop lê!

Offline Jman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
  • Ride the freewind like you stole it
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:39:09 pm »
Here some of my pics, we also did the tar run with back seat drivers, it was lekker driving iin the big group, but weaving through sunday rush to the shops traffic was terrible!
Big E was scared his monkey was gonna run away he starpped him up "tight like a tiger"
It was quite emotional watching him placing old BOB the gorrilla on the toy pile, looks like he grew on him like the real Bob did on Zim.
 ;D

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 03:21:28 pm »
this link was sent to me :  http://www.eccla.co.za/gallery_frame.asp

pics are in gallery 7 and 8

Have to agree that the mass ride was not up to scratch.

But the truck full of toys left behind by all who took part  is what is more important.