FACT or FICTION

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
With so many posts on bikes being stolen over the last couple of months , its just a craze situation , and I am sure insurance premiums are going to go up soon if this carries on , What I found interesting and not so sure if indeed possible is that some guys state that the bike was parked in front of a big Bakkie , locked with a chain and and all . bike was then lifted over the roof of the Bakkie , and carried away . Responses was that if they want it they going to take it !
what has me thinking this is just bull twang , to pick up a 200kg plus bike , lift it up and over the roof of a Big Bakkie just does not seem possible , and this done with  no damage to the bakkie , A gs must be more than a meter wide over the cylinders , top of the roof close  to 6 feet off the ground, and not much space for say two persons on either side .
then lift it high enough , turn the bike on its side and pas it over the roof , doing this holding on to the tire , if the steering lock was broken in the theft part , that will put the front wheel at a  up angle, the guys on that side will need to be close to or taller than 6 ft .
then it depends on the gap between the roof of the Bakkie and the ceiling in the garage , to have clearance to do this, and once tha bike is over the roof , then it still need to go over the load bin , and out the garage door , if possible then the door should possible also stand open , while this is being done .
Next part is that all this has to be done quietly !

I just not so sure , cant connect the dots . but by no means calling anybody a liar , I think in most theft cases , the purp go for easy targets , bikes not locked , possibly with keys in the ignition . Or a inside job , info sold .

This calls for some brain storming to come up with a solution in how to prevent the theft of bikes in general .