Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: IndoChina Piece of Monkey Shit 790 Strikes Again  (Read 8921 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: IndoChina Piece of Monkey Shit 790 Strikes Again
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2020, 08:33:23 am »
I would actually not feel all that relaxed about a fuel tank that's showing stress cracks.

It does contain a highly flammable liquid. This could actually have very serious implications in responsible markets, like the US and EU.

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2020, 08:35:27 am »
I was riding yesterday with two friends with 790's, I've ridden a few trips with them before. They both love them despite the fact that both have experienced some or most of the troubles mentioned on this thread, especially the rear shocks. And they are both disgusted with the poor dealer service with regard to replacement spares availability even under warrantee.

And yet they still love them. I can well understand them loving the way they ride, even though I haven't managed to get a ride  :( I can still see for myself the way they disdainfully make light of the terrain, but I'm not sure myself if this is enough to compensate for the obvious drawbacks of ownership.  :-\

Must say I dont get it, the average 790R owner abuses the bike twice as much as any other owner, but we expect the bike to even be more reliable?
You can make anything reliable if you make it slow enough, my current favorite quote and very applicable.

This reminds me, I learned to ride on the old 1200GS (broke it), then got 1190R, broke it and upgraded the suspension, got a random 1200GS again to sell for a profit, first ride on the whoops behind my house I pop a fork seal with a nasty clack, hits the 1190R could then take with a smile, repeatedly.
Eventually I broke the 1190R again (and an Excel rim), with even harder hits, cause the goal posts were moved.

Take away all these breakdowns and perceived issues on the 790R, and you will find the next weak-point in line, cause they will just be put through more abuse, and the same thread would still be created...
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2020, 08:37:55 am »
I would actually not feel all that relaxed about a fuel tank that's showing stress cracks.

It does contain a highly flammable liquid. This could actually have very serious implications in responsible markets, like the US and EU.

so after repeated hits, same hits that would take out a radiator and leave you stranded on most other bike designs, and then showing stress fractures (not leaking) this is still a bad design?

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2020, 08:41:56 am »
I too would be terrified to ride a 790R with its poorly designed fuel tank.

When I was a fast as fuck young lad racing motocross, I witnessed what happens when gasoline ignites a rider.

Apparently dad didn't get his sons fuel cap tightened enough, it came loose during the race, fuel dumped all over the hot engine, ignited, and melted the poor kids motocross clothes off of him.

His testicles were hanging but there was no nut sack around them.

Horrible horrible accident. 

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:02 am »
ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2020, 08:56:44 am »
I too would be terrified to ride a 790R with its poorly designed fuel tank.

When I was a fast as fuck young lad racing motocross, I witnessed what happens when gasoline ignites a rider.

Apparently dad didn't get his sons fuel cap tightened enough, it came loose during the race, fuel dumped all over the hot engine, ignited, and melted the poor kids motocross clothes off of him.

His testicles were hanging but there was no nut sack around them.

Horrible horrible accident. 

Horrible picture. And getting my son onto a PW50 now so great reminder of how important some stuff can be.

WRT 790 tank, the 990 tank setup was similar, and plenty broke in offs. Not aware of any that caught alight.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2020, 09:14:31 am »
Just noticed that KTM are allowing CFM (who are making the KTM stuff in China) to come out with their own version of this motor and bike which weighs much more and costs much less than the KTM  (in Oz.)

PS. Am going to go for a ride with a man on a KTM990 after Xmas miles from anywhere. What's the chances it breaks down and he needs a pillion home like all the rides with a 990 in the past? 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:19:25 am by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2020, 09:36:43 am »
Just noticed that KTM are allowing CFM (who are making the KTM stuff in China) to come out with their own version of this motor and bike which weighs much more and costs much less than the KTM  (in Oz.)

PS. Am going to go for a ride with a man on a KTM990 after Xmas miles from anywhere. What's the chances it breaks down and he needs a pillion home like all the rides with a 990 in the past? 

Jammer meneer, ek sal n versys se gat lek om by my 990 te hou offroad, 1000 of 650

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2020, 09:53:56 am »
Big Soil en 2SD is besig met `n Zoom meeting.
Hulle strategie is heel opgedonner deur daai Chicco ou.....

No amount of Yamaha's breaking down can make the 790 reliable. Only KTm can, themselves, without the Indo-Chinese.

So, no, Chicco did not donner up our strategy, as discussed by zoom. :thumleft:

Ja, true.  It is however also true for BMW and you happily dragged them into the conversation.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2020, 10:08:51 am »
Even worse than you imagined m0lt3n. I'll be using a Kawasaki KLX250.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2020, 10:18:04 am »
Even worse than you imagined m0lt3n. I'll be using a Kawasaki KLX250.

haha no, that will have a suspension and will keep up perfectly well enough.
current riding buddy has a honda 250, I cant get lazy or I will have to play catch-up

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2020, 10:48:53 am »
I was riding yesterday with two friends with 790's, I've ridden a few trips with them before. They both love them despite the fact that both have experienced some or most of the troubles mentioned on this thread, especially the rear shocks. And they are both disgusted with the poor dealer service with regard to replacement spares availability even under warrantee.

And yet they still love them. I can well understand them loving the way they ride, even though I haven't managed to get a ride  :( I can still see for myself the way they disdainfully make light of the terrain, but I'm not sure myself if this is enough to compensate for the obvious drawbacks of ownership.  :-\

Must say I dont get it, the average 790R owner abuses the bike twice as much as any other owner, but we expect the bike to even be more reliable?
You can make anything reliable if you make it slow enough, my current favorite quote and very applicable.

This reminds me, I learned to ride on the old 1200GS (broke it), then got 1190R, broke it and upgraded the suspension, got a random 1200GS again to sell for a profit, first ride on the whoops behind my house I pop a fork seal with a nasty clack, hits the 1190R could then take with a smile, repeatedly.
Eventually I broke the 1190R again (and an Excel rim), with even harder hits, cause the goal posts were moved.

Take away all these breakdowns and perceived issues on the 790R, and you will find the next weak-point in line, cause they will just be put through more abuse, and the same thread would still be created...

If the 790 indeed has such superior suspension and performance, how would the "average" owner manage to abuse them so much?? ;) :ricky:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2020, 10:50:25 am »

No amount of Yamaha's breaking down can make the 790 reliable. Only KTm can, themselves, without the Indo-Chinese.

Ja, true.  It is however also true for BMW and you happily dragged them into the conversation.

Exactly why I would have dragged BMW into the conversation......

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2020, 10:58:17 am »

Exactly why I would have dragged BMW into the conversation......

So, BMW breaking down will fix the KTM?  Radical thought that!   :imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline BuRP

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2020, 01:19:44 pm »
If the 790 indeed has such superior suspension and performance, how would the "average" owner manage to abuse them so much??

Oh, that's easy to answer  ;)
The 790 is SO good that the biggest onnosel inexperienced clumsy twit, and here I myself may well serve as an example, will hammer the bike unlike anything he's ridden before because the bike makes it all so efforless!  :thumleft:
If then he lubricates his throttle cables with course grinding paste instead of light MP grease (hey, I keep them in the same tin, and we all drink at times don't we?) then your abuse becomes even more so.... and note that you did not mention 'on purpose' hmm?
 :lol8:

Seriously Dan, you've ever ridden a 790, and I mean off for a bit instead of around your garage?
This is a ~200kg bike which is THE example for the statement that "the weight disappears when riding" or "it handles almost like a plastic"  :thumleft:
If not we'll rectify such soon!  :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:20:55 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2020, 02:42:26 pm »
So. What have we here. One disgruntled customer and now all 790's are kak? I'm not saying the bike is perfect, buttt how many people are dissatisfied with their 790's?
Mine has had a few troubles butttt not enough to warrant moaning
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2020, 03:50:54 pm »
 :ricky:

If You're going through hell, keep going.

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline 73 Peanut

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2020, 04:02:32 pm »
Please guys keep in mind that both bikes are adventure bikes and not motocross or enduro bikes . I break and crash every bike I ride but accept the fact that if you ride it where it is not designed to go it will break . Adventure bikes aren't designed to be thrashed all the time . T700 has a fantastic motor and a lbw so it will be great on long gravel highways.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2020, 04:06:23 pm »
So. What have we here. One disgruntled customer and now all 790's are kak? I'm not saying the bike is perfect, buttt how many people are dissatisfied with their 790's?

This is the thing about KTM ownership.

It's like LandRover and Alfa guys.  You find a Landrover owner that ever complains about his vehicle, yet Landies have probably the worst reliability record in the automotive world.

I get that the 790 may go so well that owners do not mind cutting short trips due to shocks bursting their seals, or sandpapering clutchplates over weekends, like on old brit bikes.

BUT......imagine if they went this well, and they went that long? :biggrin:

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2020, 04:10:32 pm »

This is the thing about KTM ownership.

It's like LandRover and Alfa guys.  You find a Landrover owner that ever complains about his vehicle, yet Landies have probably the worst reliability record in the automotive world.

I get that the 790 may go so well that owners do not mind cutting short trips due to shocks bursting their seals, or sandpapering clutchplates over weekends, like on old brit bikes.

BUT......imagine if they went this well, and they went that long? :biggrin:

They can and do! Just buy the right one!
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660