Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: IndoChina Piece of Monkey Shit 790 Strikes Again  (Read 8922 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: IndoChina Piece of Monkey Shit 790 Strikes Again
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2020, 04:20:04 pm »
So. What have we here. One disgruntled customer and now all 790's are kak? I'm not saying the bike is perfect, buttt how many people are dissatisfied with their 790's?
Mine has had a few troubles butttt not enough to warrant moaning

This is the thing about KTM ownership.

It's like LandRover and Alfa guys.  You find a Landrover owner that ever complains about his vehicle, yet Landies have probably the worst reliability record in the automotive world.

I get that the 790 may go so well that owners do not mind cutting short trips due to shocks bursting their seals, or sandpapering clutchplates over weekends, like on old brit bikes.

BUT......imagine if they went this well, and they went that long? :biggrin:

They can and do! Just buy the right one!

I agree, but the 790 has just too many complaints against it.

The cable clutch was a first thing I noticed and realised this is a step back for KTM.  Costcutting. Made in Indo-China. :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2020, 04:21:28 pm »
I would actually not feel all that relaxed about a fuel tank that's showing stress cracks.

It does contain a highly flammable liquid. This could actually have very serious implications in responsible markets, like the US and EU.

so after repeated hits, same hits that would take out a radiator and leave you stranded on most other bike designs, and then showing stress fractures (not leaking) this is still a bad design?

The stress-cracking is not about poor design, it is simply poor quality.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2020, 04:54:16 pm »
So. What have we here. One disgruntled customer and now all 790's are kak? I'm not saying the bike is perfect, buttt how many people are dissatisfied with their 790's?
Mine has had a few troubles butttt not enough to warrant moaning

This is the thing about KTM ownership.

It's like LandRover and Alfa guys.  You find a Landrover owner that ever complains about his vehicle, yet Landies have probably the worst reliability record in the automotive world.

I get that the 790 may go so well that owners do not mind cutting short trips due to shocks bursting their seals, or sandpapering clutchplates over weekends, like on old brit bikes.

BUT......imagine if they went this well, and they went that long? :biggrin:

They can and do! Just buy the right one!

I agree, but the 790 has just too many complaints against it.

The cable clutch was a first thing I noticed and realised this is a step back for KTM.  Costcutting. Made in Indo-China. :imaposer:

I hear you Dan but some would say cable is better because it can be fixed on the run anywhere in the world.

Also

The KTM hydraulic clutches are not without problems. The 640 and the 990's have a long history of master and slave issues.

Personally I dont give a shit. My biggest issues are always suspensions that are made for fitment on delivery bikes. Large waffer banks and decent valves in suspension can make it both comfortable and capable in most situations. But bean counters and below average test riders seem to have the last say. Rather spend money on window dressing and fancy dashes.

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2020, 07:27:09 pm »
I personally like a cable clutch, only problem is that it needs regular lubing.

The cable itself also need to be of a good quality.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2020, 08:02:45 pm »
I personally like a cable clutch, only problem is that it needs regular lubing.

The cable itself also need to be of a good quality.

I also prefer cable clutches, because over the last 3 weeks I have repaired 4 KTM/Husky masters and/or slaves.  But my bikes with cable clutches have these new-fangled Teflon lined jobs.  Never need lubing, in fact, lube it once and you have to keep on lubing it.  But in terms of 790s: I believe if it looks wrong, it is wrong.  And those droopy tanks look wrong.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 08:10:52 pm by Bill the Bong »

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2020, 08:09:53 pm »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
Asj ywil kak kwyt raak oor n 700 Tenere mag jy nie tensy jy die ding gery het.
790 is open season.
En daai Yank hoort nie op die forum nie.Laat hy sy eie een tuis kry, of nee hulle weet ook hy is n vet ....
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2020, 08:17:00 pm »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.
En daai Yank hoort nie op die forum nie.Laat hy sy eie een tuis kry, of nee hulle weet ook hy is n vet ....

:imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2020, 08:21:40 pm »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

Yamaha is a holy cow...... :biggrin:

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2020, 09:08:44 pm »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

Maar hy kom nie uit Indie nie?.... ;)
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2020, 09:53:17 pm »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

Norrafok. :thumleft:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2020, 02:22:45 am »
Yamaha is a holy cow

Maar hy kom nie uit Indie nie?

Eerlik gese dink ek dis die antwoord van die jaar  :thumleft:

:lol8:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2020, 07:25:05 am »

If the 790 indeed has such superior suspension and performance, how would the "average" owner manage to abuse them so much?? ;) :ricky:

It does not take much skill to hit rocks at too high a speed and leave it to the bike's suspension to sort out...
Or hit a ditch and think that was nothing to be concerned about I can hit the next one harder....increase speed until the bike feels unsettled or something breaks.

Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2020, 08:09:22 am »

If the 790 indeed has such superior suspension and performance, how would the "average" owner manage to abuse them so much?? ;) :ricky:

It does not take much skill to hit rocks at too high a speed and leave it to the bike's suspension to sort out...
Or hit a ditch and think that was nothing to be concerned about I can hit the next one harder....increase speed until the bike feels unsettled or something breaks.

Not even the best set-up enduro bike will hit a rock "at too high a speed", and simply sort it out. It always throws a bike off-line, and unsettles the chassis.

Read your own words again, how will a 790's rims survive your scenario of "hitting the next ditch even harder"?? :imaposer: Especially with the on-the-limit rear shock seals? :imaposer: :imaposer:

Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2020, 08:23:19 am »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

Los die Yank uit!! Die feite wat hy gee spreek boekdele,  :deal:

Elke keer as Big Oil iets oor 'n KTM790 sÍ dan tref hy een moerse senuwee raak in Runner se gestel.

Jy ry mos ook self  'n KTM 790 so hoekom argumenteer jy nie met feite teenoor sy feite wat hy hier stel nie.

Doen dit sommer ook in Engels sodat die man kan verstaan as jy hom sleg sÍ. :-[

Speel die bal en nie die man nie of bly dan maar net stil as jy niks goed het om te sÍ nie. ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:25:22 am by Tyre kicker »
It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2020, 08:25:30 am »
2SD:
"Not even the best set-up enduro bike will hit a rock "at too high a speed", and simply sort it out. It always throws a bike off-line, and unsettles the chassis.

Read your own words again, how will a 790's rims survive your scenario of "hitting the next ditch even harder"?? :imaposer: Especially with the on-the-limit rear shock seals? :imaposer: :imaposer:"

Struggling to see if this is you stirring again
too high a speed is relative, higher than it would have with poorer suspension is "too high a speed"

and ditches havent broken my rims, it has in the past bottomed out my suspension and broken other stuff. With tyres at high pressure you will manage a fairly hard hit before breaking the rim anyway, and on top of that, most owners wont complain if the rim is shot and just upgrade it like on any other bike anyhow.
rear shock seals...you are trying a bit to hard there...there was a weak batch, and ktm pays the repair anyhow

taking hard hits is where the 790 will outshine the t7 the most. Its oversprung with people weighing less than 100kg having to take out all preload and go low on compression settings. This also gives it the harsh ride.
2SD you yourself just said the 43mm tubes on the T7 will have less friction will have better compliance on smooth gravel.
The T7 is undersprung, with even 80kg riders needing stiffer springs, this is not brand bashing, fitting springs for your weight is normal, but most riders dont.

so most riders will baby the T7 because you will bottom out on the hard hits and most riders will not have to baby the 790 but to the contrary feel the bike beg for harder hits because thats where it shines.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2020, 08:29:30 am »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

Elke keer as Big Oil iets oor 'n KTM790 sÍ dan tref hy een moerse senuwee raak in Runner se gestel.

Jy ry mos ook self  'n KTM 790 so hoekom argumenteer jy nie met feite teenoor sy feite wat hy hier stel nie.

Speel die bal en nie die man nie of bly dan maar net stil as jy niks goed het om te sÍ nie. ;)

Tyre kicker kan jy darm die ironie in jou antwoord hier sien?
Speel die bal as iemand iets teen die yank gese het? jy grap seker, gaan bietjie op ons resident yank se profiel in en kyk sy comments, die man het n talent om mense sleg te se. No jokes, dit is next level. Ek is al lank op die forum, nog geen persoon ooit was al op daai level so konsekwent en verbeeldingryk met beledigings nie.

en watse feite het hy neer gesit? mense wat moan sonder konteks is nie feite nie...

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2020, 08:53:53 am »
Vertel my hoe werk die:
790 is open season.

Tyre kicker kan jy darm die ironie in jou antwoord hier sien?
Speel die bal as iemand iets teen die yank gese het? jy grap seker, gaan bietjie op ons resident yank se profiel in en kyk sy comments, die man het n talent om mense sleg te se. No jokes, dit is next level. Ek is al lank op die forum, nog geen persoon ooit was al op daai level so konsekwent en verbeeldingryk met beledigings nie.

en watse feite het hy neer gesit? mense wat moan sonder konteks is nie feite nie...

Almal op die forum is geregtig om sy 2c te gee en almal doen dit nou en dan en daar word ook baie bike en brand bashing ook gedoen wat ook ok is maar as Big Oil iets sÍ dan klim sekere mense klokslag op hul perdtjie en wil dan net die man uit haal.

Sy manier om goed te sÍ is uitlokkend en ook soms dubbelsinnig maar as jy 'n Amerikaner reg verstaan sal jy weet hulle is uitgeproke en kras maar dit is in hulle natuur daarom sÍ ek speel die bal en nie die man wat die bal het nie.

As iemand soos oom 2SDan byvoorbeeld presies sou sÍ wat Big Oil sou sÍ sou niemand eers daaroor frons nie  en waarskynlik skerts daaroor maar omdat Big Oil 'n Yank is weet hy te veel en is hy sommer 'n P@#pol.
Ek sÍ NEE, ek dink die man is moerse intilligent om mee te begin en as mense net luister na wat hy sÍ en nie hoe hy dit sÍ nie sal hy nie so in die moeilikheid beland met sy manier om homself te verdedig nie en hy sal ook minder geban word.

Dit is regtig nie moeilik om mense te beledig en name te noem nie maar dit is ook nie altyd die uitweg om dit te doen nie. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:03:24 am by Tyre kicker »
It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2020, 09:07:47 am »
If you don't like a motorbike, or a particular thing about it, then say so and give your reasons or even just say that it's rubbish without having a rational reason.

There's bound to be someone else who disagrees with you and wants to argue about it but there's no need to develop a personal animosity such that the law of crimen injuria is tested, and only the width of the ocean stands in the way of fisticuffs!

I say this because I like having our American friend here on the forum and it's disappointing when he gets banned again. I enjoy the writings and pictures about his homeland even though I'm not so into huge 4x4's and find it difficult to fathom what's to like about cold weather!  :lol8:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

The following users thanked this post: Odd Dog

Offline GravelFox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2020, 09:12:41 am »
Looks like the Chinese (CFMoto) are continuing with the 790 engine. The bike has strong resemblance to other brands such as BMW and Truimph.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/cfmoto-mt800-revealed-in-leaked-designs/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GravelFox
ex, MT50, XT250, XT550, KLR600, Africa Twin, XRE500, GS1200, DRZ400, CRF250L,
Now: XTZ660, 1200 GSA LC

Online sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2020, 09:25:52 am »