Safe Driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cisco kid

I was sent on a drivers training course last week, the Smith System, it is not about helping you throw hand-break turns, but how to drive safely.

The system has 5 keys that one should employ whilst driving, All Good Kids Love Milk (AGKLM), or:

1: Aim high in Steering - look ahead, not down, try to raise your vision to about 15 seconds ahead of you. Look for obsticles, hazards etc, and make decisions before the time, i.e. do not race up to the traffic light and then screech to a stop, gear down, take it easy
2: Get the Big Picture - this follows on from the above, try to keep at least 4 seconds (I found this a bit optimistic, 2 seconds more practicle) between yourself and the vehicle in front. Hanging back allows you to see what going on in front of you and gives you time to make decisions
3: Keep your eyes moving - do not fixate, move your eyes all the time, at least every 2 seconds, check mirrors every 4 - 5 seconds. It keeps you alert and aware
4: Leave yourself an out - keep the gap, be aware of being boxed in, etc. Always think, if there going to be an obstacle, or a doos in a car pull in front of me now, where to can I go. Do not race across an intersection if you were caught at the traffic lights - wait 2 seconds before heading across - maybe not to practicle, but message is keep eyes out for okes shooting the lights
5: Make sure they see you - try to keep eye contact with drivers around you, put on lights/brights, wear bright clothing, be aware of the blind spots on vehicles. If you cannot see them, they cannot see you

I try to sort of keep the 5 keys in my mind when riding, it does make one a bit more aware