Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3 day ride to Jakarta for Christmas  (Read 385 times)

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
3 day ride to Jakarta for Christmas
« on: December 25, 2020, 06:11:26 am »
Project in Indonesia is coming to end soon so chances to ride will get less as we wind up here and head back to SA soon. One for the bucket list for me was to ride across Java to Jakarta so used the Christmas break as a good time for it.

- Time required 2.5 days.
- Weapon of choice Yamaha Aerox 155cc
- Distance (estimated) + - 700km
- First night Wonosobo, second night Bandung

Actual distance was 753.91 km / 19 hours 33 min riding / 39 kph average / 109 kph max / 21676 m combined elevation

Pics to follow.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:14:47 am by tifua »
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Re: 3 day ride to Jakarta for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 06:33:27 am »
Day 1: Left office got home, packed and loaded bike. Made sure rain coat is handy because of the quick nature of rain coming. Arrives quickly and just as quickly vanishes but least is warm so you can ride in it apart from visibility. Left at 6pm for a 2 hour ride and got caught in bad mist for about 40 min and some light rain. Arrived at hotel, shower and relax
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:38:06 am by tifua »
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 06:42:55 am »
Day 2: woke up, had breakfast on rooftop restaurant of hotel enjoying view of mountains and volcanoes around Wonosobo. Lovely day and hit the road for a long ride to Bandung. Used main road to Purwokerto then tried to get off main roads and where possible also take in some dirt roads...sometimes with surprise results. Scooter with low ground clearance and street tires is not best combination for mud but eventually got through it. Arrived at hotel in Bandung covered in mud and exhausted but was great day riding with the most incredible scenery

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 06:46:06 am »
Day 2 pics continued
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:47:52 am by tifua »

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 06:52:57 am »
Day 3: Check out of hotel and wanted to ride around 3 lakes. Hot day and crazy traffic in Bandung and then the open road. High mountain roads with sweeping bends and incredible views around each corner. Green lush and the clouds and rain made it all more beautiful. About 3 hours from Jakarta got caught in heavy rain on a very high mountain with mist and no signal so once rain slowed down, took main road down the mountain for the last 2 hours to Jakarta with its heavy traffic and chaos. Arrived safely with a filthy bike but great memories.

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 06:55:56 am »
Day 3 pics continued

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 07:00:11 am »
day 3 pics continued
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 07:02:10 am by tifua »

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 07:04:39 am »
Very nice, thank you for sharing  :thumleft:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline 73 Peanut

• Pack Dog
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 11:14:17 am »
 :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 11:54:38 am »
Thanks for the stunning photo's tifua!! :thumleft:
First pic of your scooter what Yamaha is standing behind it? Nice big oilcooler on it.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 12:39:35 pm »
Thanks for the stunning photo's tifua!! :thumleft:
First pic of your scooter what Yamaha is standing behind it? Nice big oilcooler on it.
Comstom bike made to look like the Yamaha xsr 155 sold here. Many like that here

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 01:54:22 pm »
Can't wait for the end of Covid19 restrictions! Looks fantastic.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 02:15:51 pm »
I have managed 20k km exploring around central Java in last 14 months. Also explored Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa so happy to help anybody with routes and suggestions

Offline geno.box

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 10:33:40 am »
Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Offline BuRP

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 02:45:55 pm »
@tifua ,

lekker, green with envy!  :thumleft:

You mention Bali, high on my list to go visit and go ride of course.
Any specific tips, do's or don'ts you may know of, or I better know?
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 02:59:37 pm »
Interesting RR... all good till you hit the city.  :biggrin:

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 05:41:14 pm »
Interesting RR... all good till you hit the city.  :biggrin:

Yeah Jakarta is chaos. Traffic here is unreal and the size of the city makes Jhb pale in comparison. Here is comparison between Jakarta and Johannesburg https://versus.com/en/jakarta-vs-johannesburg

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 05:52:35 pm »
@tifua ,

lekker, green with envy!  :thumleft:

You mention Bali, high on my list to go visit and go ride of course.
Any specific tips, do's or don'ts you may know of, or I better know?

- forget big bike and big bike mentality. KLX 250 or CRF 250 is biggest you need. You cant use more power and no place to speed. Also just makes you stick out more and get charged more
- Asians can ride better than most of us. They start riding soon as they can walk and cars are also very aware of bikes. The danger is the idiot gap year tourists that cant ride and create chaos and statistics.
- Rainy season not so bad, rain is warm but can be heavy. Good time to go is Feb / March (low season) less tourists
- horns are a gentle warning not an angry insult so get used to it and dont get offended
- take pics of the bike you rent all round. I rent from one company every time I go because expat owned and professional service
- routes easy to work out, let me know how many days, what you enjoy and I will help you work it out. I have ridden all over on scooter, Versys, KLX 150, KLX250
- distances are deceptive. Can take you several hours to travel 50km.
- do a orientation ride before you explore more inland. Riding bikes in Asia is not like anything you have experienced before and its common to be surrounded by group of bikes all 20 cm from you

The following users thanked this post: BuRP

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 06:01:32 pm »
Can't wait for the end of Covid19 restrictions! Looks fantastic.

I still would like to put together a budget ride for 6 - 10 people from Jakarta to Bali over 10 - 14 days taking in all the best roads, passes, mountains and scenery. Small bikes to blend in, easy pace and best of Indonesia / Java with some historical places in it. Those that have done trips with me in past know I prefer the ride more than the tourist thing. Its about the road and what you can see while on two wheels.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2020, 07:07:23 pm »
That's aweome, my 60yr old aunt did a 350km roadtrip on a scooter around that area a week ago , something to do with her teaching  dissertation.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.