How bike collections start....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbler

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
As most of us can attest, 2020 has been a kak year.
For me, I've only spent 14 weeks at home this entire year - and that was in 3 increments.
I'm not complaining however, as the alternative was staying home and not working, so I'm grateful.

What it has done though is bring tings into perspective a bit.
Ie - do the things you want to do. Sooner rather than later.

For me it started in 2015 when I did Killi with my quadriplegic friend, which was an absolutely awesome experience.
But, I've stalled since then.

All of this is a long winded way of saying that as of 2021, I intend riding more.
Doing the trips I've always said I want to do, but never gotten around to.

So....
Anything from a long weekend through the Cederberg, a week up the west coast and Namakwa eco trail area, maybe Richtersveld or Kaokoland.
You get the picture.

Now this is where I hit a fork in the road.

I have an awesome 990S that I really love riding.
It's comfortable and does everything I want of it, but for the type of riding I'm wanting to do more of it is a) heavy and b) thirsty.

As I see it, I have 3 options:
- Just deal with the weight and short fuel range and get on with it... I don't want to damage the bike dropping it unnecessarily -its tall and when loaded with fuel and gear is quite top heavy - I'm tall at 185cm, and pick the bike up just fine, but its always cringe when I drop it.
- Buy a cheap lightweight something that meets the criteria - Maybe R50k - thinking a nice 525 if I can find it, a 640 perhaps. Maybe a CRF, WR or some such iteration?
- Sell the 990 and go and buy a kitted 690, 701 or similar

Shit man, I just don't know.
Can I enjoy a 690 as much as my 990 if its an only bike?

Everything is some sort of compromise that isn't helped when you form an attachment to a bike.
I already have 4 bikes and all sorts of other toys, so space is starting to be at a premium.

:ricky: