Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Gauteng dirt rides thread  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Padvark (ex Gee-S-rider)

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Gauteng dirt rides thread
« on: December 02, 2008, 05:46:32 pm »
Done a good ride around Gauteng recently?

Post it here with as much info as possible for other Dogs to enjoy.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Re: Gauteng dirt rides thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:13:03 am »
Nice idea  :thumleft:

1. Pinehaven to Parys.
This is a nice route for the adventurous type. It has a bit of everything in it.
Tar, gravel roads, technical offroad as well as some railway service lines.  Did it again recently but there is a section of the route that has been blocked off in Randfontein. But being awilddog you need to make a plan and find another way round  :mwink:

Track attached   :biggrin:

2. Magaliesberg railway lines
This is just having fun and chasing railway lines. Start at S26 01.461 E27 35.446 and just keep riding.
The tracks branch off and go all over the place. If yoiu have time and a good riding buddy, you wll find some interesting things along this route. Don't forget the GPS to get you home  :biggrin:

3. The Crater Ride
Bit of the canals, then up past Dikhololo and into some interesting remote areas. Very ice gravel riding here.
Back towards Jericho then on to the Tswaing Crater. Take some money and go and have a look at history.
Not a nice trip to do in the heat though!

Track attached

Enjoy!!  :ricky:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Padvark (ex Gee-S-rider)

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »
Groovy rides bmad! Keep 'em coming.

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:47:19 pm »
more please
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:21:58 pm »
Hey, just stumbled upon this thread, i was looking for somewhere to ride, but too lazy to plan myself (it takes a long time for me)

Thnx for the route Bmad, gonna do the parys one.  :thumleft:

I have attached a link to a website of some routes i have done, and some planning i have done.

All these routes are graded dirt roads, although the conditions can vary from month to month. I have encountered mud, sand, rocks, and then some on these rides.

1.) Pinehaven to Marico.
Good dirt roads out west.
Dont take the highway to pretoria from Marico, as the toll on that road will rip you a new one. (one would think it's run by BMW and KTM.)

2.) Bela-Bela via (NOT)Rankins Pass (Please correct GPS co-ord for Rankins pass, as this track actually misses the pass by 10km's or so.)
Still this route is AWESOME, some great roads. Beware of sandy patches, tractors and people stopping on a blind rise to see a verkleurmannetjie cross the dirt road???

The last bit just before Bela Bela is like a concrete highway, but made of dirt. Crazy speeds can be reached on that section. (look out for deep  ruts after a rainy spell.)

This route is long, not for diddle-daddleing. make sure you are up to it before attempting.

3.) Wild West.
Easy dirt from pinehaven to Breedt's Nek. Very scenic section befor breedt's past some gamefarms.

The Website:
http://drop.io/gauteng_rides

Enjoy!!!

Offline ml

• Bike: BMW R850GS
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »
Hi,

Do anyone have the coordinates for the dirt road from Pinehaven to Parys? Is this route still in good condition?

thanks

Offline Moereloos

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • I am the chairman...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 03:17:33 pm »
1.) Pinehaven to Marico.
Good dirt roads out west.
Dont take the highway to pretoria from Marico, as the toll on that road will rip you a new one. (one would think it's run by BMW and KTM.)
If you are in a bit of a hurry, but want to avoid the Swartruggens toll gate (R65 in Dec 2010), you can (coming from Rustenburg in the N4), turn right in Swartruggens in front of Choppies. The road is marked Silwerkrans. Follow this road to Silwerkrans township, turn left and pass the two townships - lekker lots of speedbumps to wheelie over   :thumleft:. At the T junction, turn left to go past the entrance to the dam. Follow about 15km dirt road to get back to the N4 a couple of km's North of Marico - it adds about 40km to the trip...  :thumleft:
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

Offline Dekka

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:09:35 am »
Where are you situated, maybe I must come and have a look.

Offline madmike999

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:12:26 am »
cool!
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline Tonteldoos

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:15:31 pm »
Nice road to Leeupoort via Assen as well (from Brits) various return option available
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Lilian

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:00 am »
Good morning,
My husband and I are new to the forum and I am a newbie to the biking world as a rider. We are looking for places to ride around Gauteng. Have heard of a few but have no clue as to where to start etc. We have tried going onto the links and downloads provided beneath but have had no luck opening this. Please could somebody kindly help us with routes. We are wanting to go exploring this weekend. Thanks

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:11:36 am »
hi Lilian. welcome to the forum! there are plenty of rides happening around Gauteng. have a look at this thread, i'm sure you can find something there.
whereabouts are you in Gauteng?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=1.0
"all your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline DJ

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Member of the SSS
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 10:12:59 am »
Great thread  :thumleft:

Want to do some rides between Christmas and New Year, try out the DRZ...will try the Canal ride me thinks...

Thanks!!
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350