Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sponsoring a rider at Dakar, why?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Die Malletjie

• Vendor
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Behind every bearded man stands a tattooed girl!
Sponsoring a rider at Dakar, why?
« on: January 04, 2021, 12:17:56 pm »
I am just wondering why someone would want to sponsor a team that's not going to feature in the top 5 or 3 depending on the class he or she is going to enter at the Dakar?
For the love of the sport or participant yes, but not for TV or other coverage!

Unless you go pay for streaming on special channels you get no coverage unless your sponsored participant goes and does something really good or has an really big oeps and that coverage will last 15sec, once of!

TV coverage in SA is 25min and that with a tour round Saudi, an interview and 5 x 2 min per class, done!
Like I said, for the love of the sport or participant and yes your immediate environment may know about it, but a real return on investment if you spend more on it than a few stickers is not going to happen!

ASO also organize the "Tour the France" and that we can/should sit and watch the whole day! Ok, there are more bicycles than motorcycles in the world!

Just my 2 cent!
I am doing it today, maybe there is no tomorrow

Online Brewed_Coffee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
Re: Sponsoring a rider at Dakar, why?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:07:15 pm »
I am just wondering why someone would want to sponsor a team that's not going to feature in the top 5 or 3 depending on the class he or she is going to enter at the Dakar?

Unless you go pay for streaming on special channels you get no coverage unless your sponsored participant goes and does something really good or has an really big oeps and that coverage will last 15sec, once of!

TV coverage in SA is 25min and that with a tour round Saudi, an interview and 5 x 2 min per class, done!
Like I said, for the love of the sport or participant and yes your immediate environment may know about it, but a real return on investment if you spend more on it than a few stickers is not going to happen!

ASO also organize the "Tour the France" and that we can/should sit and watch the whole day! Ok, there are more bicycles than motorcycles in the world!

Can't answer your question but based on the first two installments of Dakar 2021, I think the production team is doing a pathetically kuk job!  Footage and content has never been very strong but this year is just ridiculous - obviously some of this kukness has to do with the organisation itself!
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline SpeedMetal

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:19:22 am »
I have asked the same question, how does a rider get to Dakar without having the personal resources and knowing you are not going to hang with the top boys.

Personally, i think it will come from people and companies that wants to use it as an internal team building. Even though there is only one racer, it can pull an entire company together to support a single cause.

Obviously this is big bucks for most, it is relatively small fry for some corporates.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

GODSPEED!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 10:25:04 am »

Just my 2 cent!

Product development, marketing etc etc. Many companies use the material generated to market themselves and their products for months of years afterwards. For some I guess prestige also plays a role.

Also product testing.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 12:55:54 pm »
I used to race cars 20 years ago in a regional amateur formula  and all of my sponsors were from racing enthusiasts who enjoyed being involved if they couldn’t race themselves and preferred to donate money or products to me instead of say a charity for AIDS orphans etc

And their sponsorship could be claimed as an advertising expense to reduce their tax burden
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:56:49 pm by JustBendIt »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 01:15:02 pm »
Is it not a tax write off?? May as well spend your marketing budget on something awesome