Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Handlebar disassembly: accelerator cable & wiring looms  (Read 137 times)

Offline PMH

Handlebar disassembly: accelerator cable & wiring looms
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:23:24 pm »
I’ve spent some time to redo the wiring running from underneath the tank to both handlebar fittings.

I had to disassemble my RHS switch because of a crack on the outer ‘pipe’ lug... but thats besides the point of this topic..

I noticed the accelerator cable fitting seems to have space for two cables (as with many other bikes - One cable to open throttle and one to actively close)

My bike only has the open one fitted.
Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Living to ride.. and riding to live :-)

Bikes owned:
Suzuki RV 90 --> BMW Dakar --> YAMAHA XT350 --> KAWASAKI KLR650 --> BMW1150GS --> YAMAHA XT600 --> BMW Dakar --> BMW1150GS

Offline PMH

Re: Handlebar disassembly: accelerator cable & wiring looms
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 02:28:08 pm »
For interrest sake: the old heat shrink of the handlebar wiring looms was cracked around the cable ties on the handlebar.

When I cut them open all the way under the tank to replace, I found them full of water and grime - obviously entering from the cracks on the handlebar section...

Thinking this might deteriorate the inner cables if left like this for a long time...

Bikes owned:
Suzuki RV 90 --> BMW Dakar --> YAMAHA XT350 --> KAWASAKI KLR650 --> BMW1150GS --> YAMAHA XT600 --> BMW Dakar --> BMW1150GS

Offline PMH

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 02:30:25 pm »

Bikes owned:

Offline MellowJo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 03:06:40 pm »
For interrest sake: the old heat shrink of the handlebar wiring looms was cracked around the cable ties on the handlebar.

When I cut them open all the way under the tank to replace, I found them full of water and grime - obviously entering from the cracks on the handlebar section...

Thinking this might deteriorate the inner cables if left like this for a long time...

Yup, this is an old problem on all of them ....
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:33:33 pm »
I’ve spent some time to redo the wiring running from underneath the tank to both handlebar fittings.

I had to disassemble my RHS switch because of a crack on the outer ‘pipe’ lug... but thats besides the point of this topic..

I noticed the accelerator cable fitting seems to have space for two cables (as with many other bikes - One cable to open throttle and one to actively close)

My bike only has the open one fitted.
Is this normal?

Yes it only has one accelerator cable.  8)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:34:16 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline PMH

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 06:05:05 pm »
Cool. Thanx

Bikes owned:

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:32:59 am »

I have the tool to remove the pins from the plugs.  So I remove the pins, remove all the old covering and replace it with new sleeve from Hellerman Tyton. 

Do not wrap the wiring with insulation tape or heatshrink.  It will cause the wiring the break on the flex points.  The individual wires need to be able to move around inside the sleeve as the steering turns.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline PMH

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 07:36:57 am »

I have the tool to remove the pins from the plugs.  So I remove the pins, remove all the old covering and replace it with new sleeve from Hellerman Tyton. 

Do not wrap the wiring with insulation tape or heatshrink.  It will cause the wiring the break on the flex points.  The individual wires need to be able to move around inside the sleeve as the steering turns.
Hmmm. You’re saying this about 2 weeks to late...

Bikes owned: