Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike Drivers licenses  (Read 705 times)

Offline thysdeb

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
  • As dit nie lekker is nie doen jy dit verkeerd!
Bike Drivers licenses
« on: January 11, 2021, 11:59:53 am »
Hi All,

very embarrassed to say..at 50 i need to go for my first motorcycle license (did my learners last year ) :-[     

Now with the covid stuff i see this is REALLY REALLY going to be extremely difficult to get a spot ..never mind the pass (all those looking around stuff) .. add to this that i cant do this in my town.need to drive 200Kms to go and register only and then go back etc etc etc...

So anybody know of a good "testing centre", where i wont be chased back and forth?.. i cant drive up and down.. ....you know go once ;) and you have it for sure kind of centre?.  :pot:

Kind Regards
Thys

Offline Lightrider

Re: Bike Drivers licenses
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 04:08:16 pm »
My suggestion is to pay a driving school to go through the test & then sign you up. Trust me it is worth the money & time. Doesn't matter how well you drive.

The following users thanked this post: thysdeb

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 04:11:45 pm »
My suggestion is to pay a driving school to go through the test & then sign you up. Trust me it is worth the money & time. Doesn't matter how well you drive.

This is the best advise you will get, no way you will pass that test on it's own. It has very little to do with how well you can ride.

Offline Spectaitor

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 05:28:05 pm »
At the risk of sounding combative, if you cannot pass it, you shouldn't get it.
In a perfect world that would apply, I know some testers could be having a shit day, or care about the type of person doing the test etc.

I think once at least should be done properly. Get a school, should pass easily.
So much to do, so little time. Better get going then!

Offline Ri

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 09:40:12 pm »
Hi All,

very embarrassed to say..at 50 i need to go for my first motorcycle license (did my learners last year ) :-[     

Now with the covid stuff i see this is REALLY REALLY going to be extremely difficult to get a spot ..never mind the pass (all those looking around stuff) .. add to this that i cant do this in my town.need to drive 200Kms to go and register only and then go back etc etc etc...

So anybody know of a good "testing centre", where i wont be chased back and forth?.. i cant drive up and down.. ....you know go once ;) and you have it for sure kind of centre?.  :pot:

Kind Regards
Thys

Welcome to the club, got mine last year at age 49, after riding with learners licences for 5 years  :thumleft:

Get instruction. Most important thing they gave me, apart from explaining layout of the test area and which tests are instant fail and which have 2 - 3 chances, was a list of everything to check before even getting on to the bike. And telling me to mention out loud what I check for. I also rented a much lighter bike. Would've most likely failed on my own.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:40:46 pm by Ri »

Offline sackett

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 11:01:27 pm »
Wot Lightrider said :thumleft: - you cant go wrong!! And the trainers normally know all the nuances of the local testing officials and sites.
Beat all you okes so far - got my license, 2 months after my very first learners license, the year before last just before my 22nd try at my 39th birthday (still practicing to get it right).
(That's 61 for the okes who didn't do sums at school)
Previously owned: Yamaha XT250, Honda XL500R, Yamaha XT600 Tenere, then moved over to the Dark Side with a great classic: Honda CB750F - all sold unfortunately.  Currently have a '14 Triumph 800XC and restoring a 2010 Tenere 660Z.

Offline valkerieforever

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Between the Smoke and Mirrors
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 06:47:57 am »
Hi All,

Kind Regards
Thys

A colleague of mine went to Koster, I think, I will double check, he said they were quick and friendly. I don't where in North West your are, but I went to Synergy Racing here in Centurion for a 2 hour lesson two days before my test and without it I would not have passed.

Let me know which area you are in, I will double check as well where they went for their licenses.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:48:24 am by valkerieforever »

Online Tampan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:27:16 am »
Myself and three biker friends did ours together, here in Colesberg. Believe me, the guy here can be full of sh@t and very unreasonable, at times. However, we all passed first time, both the learners and license.

We asked them whether we could practice on the actual track where they test and that made all the difference. The rules are readily available and it's REALLY easy.
If I had to do it again, I would go with a smaller. lighter bike and preferable one with an old school analogue speedo. The digital speedo's seem to have a bit of a lag, resulting in you riding faster than the minimum required speed. Faster on the test track = more difficult.

Offline Smoky

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 07:39:09 am »
Look on the net, there are layouts of the test area. I marked one out in a carpark and did lots of practise. Then I went to BMW training centre for all the details. Passed first time.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 08:10:24 am »
OK first off its a riding licence..... nobody drives a bike.... ;) ;D OK maybe BMW owners.... :lol8:

Not sure where in NW you reside, so difficult to point you in a direction....?
Long live the Underdog.........

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 08:17:29 am »
OK first off its a riding licence..... nobody drives a bike.... ;) ;D OK maybe BMW owners.... :lol8:

Not sure where in NW you reside, so difficult to point you in a direction....?

That is how the Traffic Department and eNatis categorises it  :deal:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Spectaitor

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 10:58:43 am »
You can ride in a car.

Any machine you use is "driven".
So much to do, so little time. Better get going then!

Offline BuRP

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 11:02:32 am »
You can ride in a car.

Oh, you are sooooooooooooo correct, and memories galore!
Man o man, did I ride in lots of my cars, hell, even in rented ones, and the best part..... oh wait, public forum, let's not go there!  :lol8:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:03:05 am by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline GhostSixFour

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 01:47:29 pm »
Plenty of videos on youtube showing the tests. I watched a bunch of them and passed first time.

Pay attention to the pre-ride inspection though - seems to a big one where they like to fail people. The official that tested me also tested the guy before me, and I was listening in whilst it was happening - he was giving him all sorts of hints like "what about the tires" "turn on your indicator" etc.. When my turn came, he kept quiet and I waited for his instructions - nearly failed there. He was quite angry when I told him I was waiting for him like the previous guy.. :)

Also, get there early and chat to some of the local driving schools - I got some hints around the specific testing station - for example, they'll tell you to follow them and then walk up a 1-way, which fails you instantly. You want to avoid that. :)

Online Africanus

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 03:27:04 pm »

Beat all you okes so far - got my license, 2 months after my very first learners license, the year before last just before my 22nd try at my 39th birthday (still practicing to get it right).
(That's 61 for the okes who didn't do sums at school)

Sharing a login with tgg?

Offline thysdeb

• Pack Dog
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 04:28:35 pm »
 :-[
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:32:17 pm by thysdeb »

Offline thysdeb

• Pack Dog
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 04:31:36 pm »
Hi All,

Kind Regards
Thys

A colleague of mine went to Koster, I think, I will double check, he said they were quick and friendly. I don't where in North West your are, but I went to Synergy Racing here in Centurion for a 2 hour lesson two days before my test and without it I would not have passed.

Let me know which area you are in, I will double check as well where they went for their licenses.

HI Please double check if Koster is an option that would be freakin great ... but the licenses guys did not mention, only Rustenburg, Klerksdorp, potch and vryburg