Pointers : What to Take on a 6/7 Day Solo Gravel Trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 600 Z
Say I'm looking at doing a Solo 6/7 Day Solo Gravel Trip with the old XT, mostly back Roads?

What do I take with?? I want the BARE essentials, but also dont want to sukkel in the same breath.

99% Probably NOT camping, I just dont have smaller compact camping gear, will stay at pals/lodging along the way.

1) Tools?? What to take with?? (NOT tyre fix tools, we'll get to that later, only "mechanic" tools)

2) OK tyre fix thingies....although I have no idea how to fix a bike puncture and also sont really feel like learning. I did order HD tubes though to try prevent this as much as possible. Eks banger vir 'n puncture fix as 'n veltie langs die pad. ::). I'll obviously pack the old tubes, what I need to know is what is needed for a tube replacement.
Then........those Tyre Fix cans, do I take one or 2 with??

3) Any first aid stuff/medication?? Like in for the Trip?? I dont use any medication now.

4) Clothes?? Trip will be around February/March, Summertime.I'd also like to specifically ask if a rain suit is REALLY important, and if so what to buy?

5) Spares?? Do I need any?? Its an old XT 600. Bike is mechanically nice now, just serviced etc etc......but do I need essential spares?

6) Water/Snacks for during the day, I'll most prolly be on back roads most of the time far from towns etc etc......what do I get here?? Water, sommer just water bottles in a bag on the bike?

The rest I'm sorted with, odd stuff like camera/smokes/booze/cash/cell/etc etc etc..........but any suggestions welcomed, thanks!! :thumleft:

This is not this moerse epic overland trip, I'm taking it easy peasy, stop and go as I want, and I'll be lodging, so I dont want/need to load my whole Boedel on the bike unnecessarily. I also dont want to book anywhere, because then I'm "forced"  to get there. Might find a nicer place nearer or farther away.....that sort of thing.

Then, I'm sort of planning a VERY rough Trip here, actually only deciding which way to go, it will [robably be south (Karroo se kant toe), or East ( Natal se kant) .

I'm working on an average of around 60 km/h.......that's gravel, fast and slow, minimum tar, lots of stops, etc etc. Is that about right?? That equates to 1 km travelled = 1 minute. So as ek 1200 km wil ry gaan ek "budget" vir 1200 minute, of 20 ure. Not sure how many hours a Day I'll ride, as I said this is not an epic overland Trip, its just basically a 6/7 Day long outride with Bettie the XT.