Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2021 - Big Red Pigs in Kenya - Season 6  (Read 1064 times)

Offline the ruffian

Re: 2021 - Big Red Pigs in Kenya - Season 6
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 04:16:04 pm »
Love your work ‘bru!! You’re a master of style , both in the saddle and in your writing ( effing master of all those arcane elements: dashes, hyphens, ellipsis etc) and unequalled on this forum for a narrative peppered with self-ironising social commentary - all in deliciously long, completely grammatical sentences.

And did I mention the pics ...?!?!

As well as your imaginative vision for a rout(e)!!

I better stop blowing hot air up your arse or on your next trip you’ll be floating that fat red pig over those  cannon balls. :biggrin:

Offline Osadabwa

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Don't be surprised
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 07:16:18 pm »
Bloody great stuff as always. I dream that one day I can get to ride with you. Seems another world away ...it is world away!

Great photos and good fun to read, thank you! :thumleft:

Well you know, I've just purchased another BRP from a nice chap in CT. It should be here in a week or two. I'll set it up to be a sort of crossbred thing... going to sell my XL and my XT which I used to use in town and use BRP2 for my commuting bike, but with a mind to making it another dirt ripper as well... maybe keep dual sport tyres on it for town and swap in off-road wheels for day-trips and the like... Dunno yet. It was a half-baked idea at best and my wife might divorce me (though I'll argue: "but honey, now I only have 2 bikes!"). Anyway, long story short... I have two BRPs... so I hope to drag up my Dar Bikers friends (@Faceplant) to go rock-riding with me sometime. Shame they're so damn broke all the time... maybe others could come as well??
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:26:41 pm by Osadabwa »

Offline Osadabwa

• Pack Dog
  • Don't be surprised
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 07:26:13 pm »
Love your work ‘bru!! You’re a master of style , both in the saddle and in your writing ( effing master of all those arcane elements: dashes, hyphens, ellipsis etc) and unequalled on this forum for a narrative peppered with self-ironising social commentary - all in deliciously long, completely grammatical sentences.

And did I mention the pics ...?!?!

As well as your imaginative vision for a rout(e)!!

I better stop blowing hot air up your arse or on your next trip you’ll be floating that fat red pig over those  cannon balls. :biggrin:

Ha! Glad I managed to hurdle the fantastically low bar of "completely grammatical sentences"! Anyway, I appreciate the comment. I started doing these things in Dar 11 years ago and have found that I absolutely love/hate doing them. They are primarily for me and the guys who did the ride with me (so we can relive recent-past glory and have fodder for the long, painful descent into senescence (there's a 5 dollar word for you)) , but if I just wrote them up in a Word Doc and sent them around it'd be weird, you know? So I make them for the world to ignore, which they happily do. Sometimes some wag will say, "You should write a book" to which I promptly say "Ah, fakoff!". I know my audience. Neither of you would buy a fucking book!

I sometimes wonder if I'll be P&G'd for the social commentary I spew, but relative to the shitstorm that is the world, I feel like I'm both more understanding and less assholish than the majority, which keeps me swinging. And don't worry about inflating my ego, my friends routinely bring me back down again... as does gravity from time to time.

Cheers

:snorting:

Offline Elkanah

• Puppy
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 01:01:28 pm »
Sometimes some wag will say, "You should write a book" to which I promptly say "Ah, fakoff!". I know my audience. Neither of you would buy a fucking book!

This is much more interesting. It reads like an old age comic book, you know, like "Ruiter in Swart" and "Grensvegter"etc......
Psychiatry's troubled search for the biology of mental illness.

Offline Osadabwa

• Pack Dog
  • Don't be surprised
Unintentional solo night out
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 06:16:13 pm »
A couple of guys I know were skiving off work on Tuesday to ride up Mt. Suswa via some tracks I shared in the valley. I was busy with work and kids duties so couldn’t join for the ride, but about mid-day I started to think maybe I could rip up there solo and join them around the campfire. Once the idea was in my head, there was no turning back, but there were a few hiccups to deal with. My rack had broken a bolt off inside my subframe and I hadn’t yet fixed it! So I quickly removed the rack and whacked on my old Giant Loop. Very handy, the GL, but not really adequate for camping… not quite enough space, so I had to sacrifice something… I chose my bulky sleeping bag. I left Nairobi at 4:30 for the rocky railroad road.

Above: There was rain everywhere… got caught in several showers. Rule for me is if I can see through it, it’s not worth putting on a rain jacket… but I was aware that I would need to sleep in my kit, so getting soaked could be a problem…

Above: I may as well embrace the development… at least it offers some fun roads to ride.

Above: Stopped in Ewaso Kedong for matches. In the back of my mind I considered the possibility my friends wouldn’t actually be there, and I couldn’t find my lighter… rubbing sticks together’s not my forte.

Turned out it was a good plan to buy matches. I shot the guys a message in Ewaso saying I was on my way up and only checked my message when I paused to take a pic of the rainbow on top of the mountain. Sure enough, they weren’t there! One of them forgot his tent! Undaunted, I just cruised on ahead to camp, actually quite happy to be having a solo night in one of my favourite places.

Above: Rain showers on top of the mountain. Riding directly into the setting sun, blinded basically, I remember thinking how cool the raindrops looked when they hit the dirt, shining briefly like diamonds before being soaked up.

Above: Solo camp established by dusk, greetings to Kiano who came to say high and collect fees and enquire about my injured friend(s). The wind was whipping up there and stoked my petrol-assisted fire to a roar in no time.

Above: Darkness found me nipping Black straight from the bottle and eating sausages off a stick, cowboy style. Once my phone was adequately charged, I started playing classic rock and before I knew it I was out there howling at the stars!

Above: Apparently, I thought this was a cool enough tree to photograph. It’s right on the crater’s edge. Glad I didn’t decide to climb it.

Above: Dawn from my tent. I’d turned in around 11PM which is pretty late considering it was just me, my beautiful bike and half a litre of Black Label (no, I didn’t finish half a litre… but I did make a purdy good dent). Sleeping sans sleeping bag was not great… my legs were tucked nicely into my riding pants which was fine, but my ass (clad only in lightweight off-bike trousers) was hanging out, so I tossed and turned a fair bit, but I made it through.

Above: The morning was beautiful, but I’d made a huge error and forgotten my coffee…

Above: Packed and ready to head out. Not being very perky and needing to get some work done, I bee-lined it for home.

I’d like to say I’m going to ride somewhere besides the Valley and Suswa/Nguruman this year, but I’m not sure I’m going to swing it. Hope I’m wrong, but it’s still fantastic to live where I can get in a couple of excellent dirt hours in the afternoon with a campsite on a volcano on the other end. Staying solo was a nice change of pace too… might keep that in mind!

The following users thanked this post: pietas

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2021, 04:50:01 pm »
That kind of off-the-cuff, balls-to-the-wall spontaneity always results in an afterglow to bask in ...

Offline evansv

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 08:36:51 pm »
Sub

DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (sold), KTM 690 Enduro R (current)

Offline Osadabwa

• Pack Dog
  • Don't be surprised
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 06:49:01 am »
That kind of off-the-cuff, balls-to-the-wall spontaneity always results in an afterglow to bask in ...

Totally... and this time a massive hangover to wallow in the following day!