2021 - Big Red Pigs in Kenya - Season 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osadabwa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
2020 is officially over! Scream it from the rooftops, bitches!

Ok, nobody really expects 2021 to be too much different, but even still it’s nice to turn the corner, make a change, have a colon cleanse from a whole year of really shitty stuff. And good things are already happening up here. We've been on our first of what I hope shall be many rides, and this thread will be where I blather on about it as I have for throughout the entirety of the last five years, which, for ease of reference for my lazy ass, are linked here:

2016 – Pig Arrival… First impressions and tweaks, Rift Valley exploration, Magadi, Loita hills, Amboseli… figuring out which tyre lasts (answer, none of them), White Caps and kuku choma

2017 – Pig Initiation – New converts to the way of the Pig, more Rift Valley, breaking things, getting faster, new tracks, Shompole and Nguruman, Aberdares, Chyulu Hills & Kilimanjaro, Epic trip to the far north White Caps and kuku choma

2018 – Pig Maturation – A changing Rift Valley, New tracks and new Pig riders, a sunken XRR, wildlife, a Tanzania reunion with the Dar Bikers, North to Ol Olokwe, 5 XRRs to the north for Xmas, White Caps and kuku choma

2019 – Ultimate Pig Fest – Most active year ever, tons of valley, getting properly quick now, lots of solo riding, epic ride to Ethiopian border, epic ride to Suguta Valley, epic ride to the Mountain of God in Tanzania and much more including White Caps and kuku choma

2020 – Hellfire Corona Pig – Discovering Little Lake Magadi, four BRPs escape to Eburru Forest, epic ride to both sides of L Turkana and a return to Suguta Valley, many small ones to round out the year… White Caps and kuku choma!

And now  2021 – Pig Resurgence maybe? Guess we’ll see. I’ve decided to buy another XRR in RSA to bring up to my stable, so you South Africans with Pigs, hit me up with options. Remember I need to ship it to Kenya, so don’t bust my balls on the price!

Without further ado… in short order, we were riding. Panic and Jimbob took an afternoon toodle up to Mt. Suswa to camp out under the stars and drink beers in a fantastic spot. I wasn’t free, so I did the next best thing: got up early and did a solo braaaap up via Saikeri, Najile and Ewaso Kedong. Swallowed up 100km of non-stop rocky roads in the early light and arrived on the mountain in time for a cup of Nescafe. My version of a Starbucks Run.

ACtC-3fcyJokpcXFy0URrDpTNxL49KbBAo43iHmwVMT8NWW9pHO9CxyzUVtRweR-x6h4DTIg0Lw_3M14RXspH89UYrzKd8mZIiCQ61_vRDmNFtp8DOfNs9oMKSl3IeoaAfUyNpqD5J1kNrZnLKY2sWuP-7p5=w959-h540-no

Above: Not a bad start to 2021, cup O’ joe up on Mt Suswa

ACtC-3cPJGiUBEpygBlm5iQcSKSaY6L4yN1XZZy-8jguCrAS-n6DCk_yjODQxRufx1MjPdF7pjKXlVKL5A87TFN2yGPw9oOIau-11-B1QEaN-ba7af9VknBAkSiM7JttLf4qHMX83D37oMJ-Zw7FbpbARNEG=w959-h540-no

Above: The boys’ campsite… smoky fire and steamy crater

ACtC-3ePQoTMi_zvYu7Lq5kVOFpFd_DdaEgHItzDMEeg5BgZSdRuSh4Ue1Y65S2pyRDZ3IrykvERPA4cEZE7tjbPWnnLgTabwggGN2m1RBCCtzqo5y_yEBdiKxi8nCacU19lFbgSR4fmWWB27M-vSHVXGKf_=w959-h540-no

Above: panic showing off his Covid-19(kg)

ACtC-3f2gKvn1fMZDGp_xYPZP1rDyldrHUsrznVu1jGXufwjp4JJV-jsk9wIWoBtS6G-KhXi4LYEHvNNPa6fkvbkDvzdMwCTrSVy0EqS2Xl7z0ojN284EBBWW90Ha2g7T0GxD4Xzp3oPlc6iTUA-zKlpK1Qz=w959-h540-no

Above: Kenya off-road bike of the year 6 years running… bring your KTMs, we’ll sacrifice them to the volcano.

With caffeine in our veins and camp broken, we took off through the inner crater where a crazy, swirling flock of some exotic looking European storks pirouetted through the sky above. We paused to look at the steam pipe water collection apparatus the local Masai use to keep hydrated, and then we settled in to a steady blasting pace. Down the face, a minute on the new tar (RIP Mt. Suswa in another 2 years I predict), sliding the little short-cut to Najile for a Coke then one long fast blast down to Oltepesi and up to Olepolos for a leg of goat and a couple of White Caps.

ACtC-3c7kg4xUOHPwQcYXhXBn-0GNgx5lGF1Ns006Y2MJWYe17XQwFZ5kPqmcezTqZI6JDqlS0BCDhxk3siYFa2BjofKN-PlahAWcCM54xVPKUwsyEmI8M1ZvIqr7OwUaUbwT7tGmPe9d8M8lI8CHwm8WEgY=w959-h540-no

Above: Water collection and swirling birds

ACtC-3dFAoV6LeWJMqmouADI8UP1HQVXuX_RWHQfiV6jwlz_Lf26__AGs0flokJo74aKT3wxak2fIh3jULLH-il0BDx-8mtoBm9_dnWbYieJNRTRDKoQNiSeMxv5Em_nBofdDVv5bD86xsH8BCDT8TZWm0Lc=w959-h540-no

Above: Leaving the volcano

ACtC-3curRFmaqLrUmw1rKREEa1qSM3uSNzQ-StaOWX9JETuLFtG2gG_4RFsmlcELK8GZOccerdjf9-gwANISjFjB6jl8we6vBclaNUl4U_QnzN0nzbrGT-zwk3tjOfChhcU2MrKFqu0mEONCHkL2U-NZyAx=w959-h540-no

Above: Jimbob, me and Panic at Olepolos, stuffed full of mbuzi choma and White Caps

It was a modest start to the year, but let’s see what we can make of it.

Cheers

:snorting: