Weekend to Verneukpan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEra

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Verneukpan 28 Nov 2008

Summary
Three days, 1 830km from my driveway and back.  Nine bikes ranging from a HP2, various BMWâ??s, Pegaso, Africa Twin and my green machine KLR.

There is probably numerous Verneukpan stories but this one is unique â?? its mine.
All the planning culminated in Friday 28 November 06:00 at the Winelands 1 stop.  Lots of excitement and some nerves.

img2021gt1.jpg

At the Winelands 1 Stop

Thanks to all the planning there was a backup vehicle which proved to be really helpful along the trip.

img2016qr9.jpg

Our backup and trailer

We made good time to the other side of Ceres where the longest gravel road in SA starts.  Here the excitement chased off in clouds of dust while some nerves wondered if loading the bike on the backup vehicle was not the preferred option.

img2037we0.jpg

Chasing off into clouds us dust

img2030ga5.jpg

Paul - the organiser of the trip getting ready of the longest gravel road in SA

All the bikes started out on the gravel which was just plain fun and games for some and jaw clenching concentration for others.

Except for flat tires all arrived in good spirit and shape to have a well deserved lunch in Calvinia.

img2060qt6.jpg

Fixing a flat front

img2080bl6.jpg

Lunch in Calvinia

Just outside Calvinia the group split, some going the highway to Brandvlei while others took the more scenic, lotsa gravel option.

Part 2 will follow as soon as I get all the pix to upload to imagge shack.