Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MotoGP 2021  (Read 57811 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: MotoGP 2021
« Reply #1280 on: August 17, 2021, 02:55:33 pm »
Fortune favors the brave. If he has the opportunity he must grab it with both hands. There are a line of very talented lighties queuing up - if he can get a jump on them he must go for it. Even if not a top ride he will be noticed and impress - yes much like Miller.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #1281 on: August 18, 2021, 04:00:25 pm »
Why is he testing a Superbike and not a MotoGP bike ?

MotoGP bike testing is only allowed during pre-determined official testing days.  Then only ridden by the contracted riders and official test riders. 
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1282 on: August 18, 2021, 04:17:13 pm »
Fortune favors the brave. If he has the opportunity he must grab it with both hands. There are a line of very talented lighties queuing up - if he can get a jump on them he must go for it. Even if not a top ride he will be noticed and impress - yes much like Miller.

I have been thinking about the Moto3 to MotoGP jump a lot the past few days and a few things came to mind.

1.  Brad Binder after his first weekend on the MotoGP KTM saying that nothing he experienced in Moto2 could prepare him for the MotoGP bike.  Thinking about this statement, it made sense.  Moto2 almost no electronics, not even traction control.  Steel instead of carbon brakes and so on.  The Moto2 and MotoGP bikes are worlds apart.

2.  There doesn't seem to be much correlation between success / failure in MotoGP and success / failure in Moto2.  A few names comes to mind.
- Fabio Quartararo.  Two seasons in Moto2.  13th and 10th in the championship.  2,5 seasons in MotoGP. 5th, 8th and currently 1st in the championship.
-  Alex Marquez.  Five seasons in Moto 2. Won one Championship.  1,5 seasons MotoGP.  14th last year and currently 14th.
-  Brad Binder.  Three seasons Moto 2.  8th, 3rd and 2nd.  1,5 years MotoGP.  11th, currently 6th.
-  Johann Zarco. 5 seasons Moto2. 10th, 9th, 6th, 1st, 1st.  5 Seasons MotoGP. 6th, 6th, 18th, 13th, currently 4th.
-  Tito Rabat.  5 Seasons Moto2.  10th, 7th, 1st, 3rd, 1st.  6 Seasons MotoGP.  21st, 19th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 26th.
-  Iker Lecuona. 4 seasons Moto2.  Last, 35th, 12th, 12th.  1,5 seasons MotoGP.  20th, currently 21st.

It seems to me that you need to be a bloody good rider with lots of skills and big balls.  Then you need a good bike to show yourself to the scouts.  This gets you a very good bike on which you can win a championship, but these are few and far between.

I think, if Darryn is offered the MotoGP Yamaha, even if a B-Spec (whatever the fuck that is) in a team with a limited budget, he needs to grab the opportunity with both hands. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:19:51 pm by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

The following users thanked this post: BullSmit, Tman21

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #1283 on: August 18, 2021, 07:48:58 pm »
Comparison: Onboard with Binder & Bagnaia

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 07:49:20 pm by Kamanya »
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #1284 on: August 18, 2021, 09:17:58 pm »
Meanwhile to confirm The Doctor has been playing doctor doctor ... coming in the points so to speak ... baby daughter being hatched for the pits.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Online Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #1285 on: August 18, 2021, 09:29:03 pm »

I have been thinking about the Moto3 to MotoGP jump a lot the past few days and a few things came to mind.

1.  Brad Binder after his first weekend on the MotoGP KTM saying that nothing he experienced in Moto2 could prepare him for the MotoGP bike.  Thinking about this statement, it made sense.  Moto2 almost no electronics, not even traction control.  Steel instead of carbon brakes and so on.  The Moto2 and MotoGP bikes are worlds apart.

2.  There doesn't seem to be much correlation between success / failure in MotoGP and success / failure in Moto2.  A few names comes to mind.
- Fabio Quartararo.  Two seasons in Moto2.  13th and 10th in the championship.  2,5 seasons in MotoGP. 5th, 8th and currently 1st in the championship.
-  Alex Marquez.  Five seasons in Moto 2. Won one Championship.  1,5 seasons MotoGP.  14th last year and currently 14th.
-  Brad Binder.  Three seasons Moto 2.  8th, 3rd and 2nd.  1,5 years MotoGP.  11th, currently 6th.
-  Johann Zarco. 5 seasons Moto2. 10th, 9th, 6th, 1st, 1st.  5 Seasons MotoGP. 6th, 6th, 18th, 13th, currently 4th.
-  Tito Rabat.  5 Seasons Moto2.  10th, 7th, 1st, 3rd, 1st.  6 Seasons MotoGP.  21st, 19th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 26th.
-  Iker Lecuona. 4 seasons Moto2.  Last, 35th, 12th, 12th.  1,5 seasons MotoGP.  20th, currently 21st.

It seems to me that you need to be a bloody good rider with lots of skills and big balls.  Then you need a good bike to show yourself to the scouts.  This gets you a very good bike on which you can win a championship, but these are few and far between.

I think, if Darryn is offered the MotoGP Yamaha, even if a B-Spec (whatever the fuck that is) in a team with a limited budget, he needs to grab the opportunity with both hands.

Kak lekker, thanks for that.

I like to simplify things and to me its as simple as, no ride or GP ride. . .
Stroom op!

Offline Antonie

« Reply #1286 on: August 18, 2021, 09:29:11 pm »
Meanwhile to confirm The Doctor has been playing doctor doctor ... coming in the points so to speak ... baby daughter being hatched for the pits.
Did not know his girlfriend’s name is Points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wolzak

« Reply #1287 on: August 18, 2021, 09:33:48 pm »
I'm interested to hear how Darryn did Today with his Test on the R1.......
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #1288 on: August 18, 2021, 09:42:57 pm »

Was yesterday. Saw one ride past 3 sec vid clip ... that's all. Dixon is though going to ride the M1 at Silverstone - audition on home track ... no pressure mate! Crutch going to get the factory bike of Top Glum for home race. Some speculation Darren may get the same chance in the following race.

The following users thanked this post: Wolzak

Online mox

« Reply #1289 on: August 19, 2021, 07:14:34 am »

:spitcoffee:

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #1290 on: August 19, 2021, 10:25:51 am »

:spitcoffee:

Someone had to spell it out I guess, as opposed to spit it out  :imaposer:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1291 on: August 19, 2021, 04:47:04 pm »

I doubt there will be much news as it was a private thing. Unless Darryn or someone at Petronas or YART (Yamaha Austria Racing Team) tells us, we won't know.  Of course, Darryn has ridden superbikes before and just about a year ago blitzed Kyalami on the Ducati.   He should be pretty quick.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1292 on: August 19, 2021, 04:48:33 pm »
Fortune favors the brave.

I just read this again and then remembered a quote of somethung Darryn Binder said during an interview after a ridiculous crash out of a podium position.  "There is a very thin line between hero and idiot".   :lol8: 
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #1293 on: August 19, 2021, 05:38:10 pm »

I doubt there will be much news as it was a private thing. Unless Darryn or someone at Petronas or YART (Yamaha Austria Racing Team) tells us, we won't know.  Of course, Darryn has ridden superbikes before and just about a year ago blitzed Kyalami on the Ducati.   He should be pretty quick.

... Don't tell anyone that he then binned the new Duke the following week at Phikisa  8)

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #1294 on: August 19, 2021, 05:39:30 pm »
Fortune favors the brave.

I just read this again and then remembered a quote of somethung Darryn Binder said during an interview after a ridiculous crash out of a podium position.  "There is a very thin line between hero and idiot".   :lol8:

I think he knows the hero to zero thin line only too well  >:D

Online Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #1295 on: August 20, 2021, 08:56:13 am »
Seems like there might be some more Moto 2 slots next year this could be ideal for Daz to move in under the KTuMbrella to get a taste of Moto 2 first.

https://www.visordown.com/news/racing/motogp/could-motogp-be-getting-new-manufacturer-entry-2023
Stroom op!

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #1296 on: August 20, 2021, 09:10:32 am »
I think we all knew it, but I've just seen it confirmed that Vinales and Yamaha have parted ways with immediate effect.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #1297 on: August 20, 2021, 09:13:47 am »
I think we all knew it, but I've just seen it confirmed that Vinales and Yamaha have parted ways with immediate effect.

Ja was pretty inevitable - guess he may even get his butt on the Aprilia this season yet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:16:03 am by BiG DoM »

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Actually its a Honda MT5
« Reply #1298 on: August 20, 2021, 10:04:38 am »
Idiot he is
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1299 on: August 20, 2021, 10:44:14 am »

Anyway, chips, beer, MotoGP app on the TV, settle in to watch the race, but during those last few laps, apparently my anxiety was getting the better of me to the point where my wife had to remind me that the outcome would not change, "You know he's won, so it's fairly obvious he doesn't fall, so you can stop acting like a chop".  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wifes ... they don't understand.   :lol8:

... Don't tell anyone that he then binned the new Duke the following week at Phikisa  8)

Binning, like rubbing, is racing.   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 10:47:52 am by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!