Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MotoGP 2021  (Read 51181 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: MotoGP 2021
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2021, 01:06:38 pm »
Ducati know what they are playing with - and yes it is ground effect aerodynamics with a focus on cornering. And yes because arriving in the corners rather hotter than most all others has its own challenges ... as well as chassis DNA that knows this long time 🙃
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2021, 07:11:33 pm »
I would be interested to see how anyone is going to transfer "downforce into a bike's tyres, leaned over at say, 45degrees. There is no way, the way I see it, to transfer "downforce" through tyres into tarmac

while keeping that "downforce'  perpendicular to the tarmac. Anything else will add to outward force, and make the tyre lose grip.

Note; I am not saying Ducati's engineers are not brilliant, just that this one is sticky on a bike.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2021, 07:45:05 pm »
Perhaps different airflow in corners can adjust the downforce to either the back or front wheel?

If TC keeps the back wheel in check, then adding downforce to the front wheel should help.

Or, perhaps playing with corner airflow gives you more speed at same lean angle, essentially meaning that you can travel at the same speed as everyone else but at less lean angle.

Good for tyres, which equals good tyres for longer, which equals a race win.

2c from me ....................... but, really worth a lot more .................... people normally get shot for giving out this info ....................  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2021, 10:06:21 am »
I would be interested to see how anyone is going to transfer "downforce into a bike's tyres, leaned over at say, 45degrees. There is no way, the way I see it, to transfer "downforce" through tyres into tarmac

while keeping that "downforce'  perpendicular to the tarmac. Anything else will add to outward force, and make the tyre lose grip.

Note; I am not saying Ducati's engineers are not brilliant, just that this one is sticky on a bike.

I agree and definately am not clever enough for this.
But if you harness the airflow in a corner and apply that pressure to a lever, it "just" depends where that lever is anchored to transfer said pressure and create a desired effect.

Or not... O0

Plus, what would the effect then be in a straight line.... :lamer:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:07:34 am by bud500 »
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2021, 01:00:35 pm »

I agree and definately am not clever enough for this.
But if you harness the airflow in a corner and apply that pressure to a lever, it "just" depends where that lever is anchored to transfer said pressure and create a desired effect.

Or not... O0

Plus, what would the effect then be in a straight line.... :lamer:

One would have to have the ability of onboard control of the ducting/wings.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #245 on: March 17, 2021, 01:00:39 pm »

I fully agree that this sounds impossible.  I had no doubt that it cannot possibly be done.  Then, I saw those strange looking " tunnels" in the bottom part of the Ducati fairing and a bit of doubt crept in.  Now I am seriously wondering and if they do succeed, I would not be surprised.  Luckily, we will soon see.

Over the years, there has been a long list of " that is impossible"  issues that we saw become possible as the seasons went by.  It would be amazing to see yet another one ticked of as " possible actually".

I managed to fond the article again.  See link below.  Very clever aerodynamic engineers seems to believe it possible and already happening at Ducati since 2019.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/is-ducati-using-ground-effect-for-more-grip-in-motogp

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:05:11 pm by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2021, 01:11:25 pm »

I fully agree that this sounds impossible.  I had no doubt that it cannot possibly be done.  Then, I saw those strange looking " tunnels" in the bottom part of the Ducati fairing and a bit of doubt crept in.  Now I am seriously wondering and if they do succeed, I would not be surprised.  Luckily, we will soon see.

Over the years, there has been a long list of " that is impossible"  issues that we saw become possible as the seasons went by.  It would be amazing to see yet another one ticked of as " possible actually".

I managed to fond the article again.  See link below.  Very clever aerodynamic engineers seems to believe it possible and already happening at Ducati since 2019.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/is-ducati-using-ground-effect-for-more-grip-in-motogp

I have never before seen anything on a car or motorcycle as "impossible", even this, just very hard to understand how they'll make it work.

Some of these things are psychological acting to work on other teams' self confidence. :deal:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2021, 01:38:22 pm »

I have never before seen anything on a car or motorcycle as "impossible", even this, just very hard to understand how they'll make it work.

Some of these things are psychological acting to work on other teams' self confidence. :deal:

Well, of course.  If I can convince Rossi to go .5sec a lap faster because he patted his dog twice and it works, why not?  The chang emay be in the mind, as long as the results are real.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2021, 02:15:32 pm »
MM93 on a Honda RC213V-S yesterday on the Barcelona track.

#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2021, 03:18:18 pm »

Champ is back
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2021, 04:25:55 pm »
In a big way  :imaposer:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2021, 05:44:05 pm »

Champ is back

Mir was never gone.   :lol8:

MM93, not yet.  Testing his shoulder a long way from where the first MGP will be.  Perhaps once they return to start the European circuit.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2021, 11:56:44 am »
Luca Marini days to first race.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:57:15 am by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline punisher

• Lolly Lickerů i love to lick lollies
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • somph
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2021, 12:37:35 pm »
all these fancy 'aids"  , they should just go back to basics ............  solid rubber tires , no suspension ..................  like some wild dogs would prefer
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline mox

« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2021, 12:46:00 pm »

Offline Bappas

« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2021, 02:32:35 pm »

Champ is back

Mir was never gone.   :lol8:

MM93, not yet.  Testing his shoulder a long way from where the first MGP will be.  Perhaps once they return to start the European circuit.

The longer it takes the more we will see of the others!  This man like Rossi in the heydays is in a classof his own!  Hope he makes a full recovery!
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2021, 06:57:44 pm »
all these fancy 'aids"  , they should just go back to basics ............  solid rubber tires , no suspension ..................  like some wild dogs would prefer

The reason we see smaller fields in MotoGp is because of the exorbitant cost of developing fancy "aids'.

Of course, they say it pushes development of roadbikes, but then why stint development by using same tyres, same ECU's, etc?

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2021, 07:38:52 pm »

The reason we see smaller fields in MotoGp is because of the exorbitant cost of developing fancy "aids'.

Of course, they say it pushes development of roadbikes, but then why stint development by using same tyres, same ECU's, etc?

We are not seeing smaller fields in any of the MotoGP classes.  Exactly the opposite. As little as 8 or so years ago, they had to bring in the Claim Rules Teams (CRT) in MotoGP to get the grid to be over 16 bikes.

M3 and M2 have no space on the grid and a few years ago, they actually had to trim the Moto2 field. 

MotoGP have 24 grid spots of which 22 are occupied.  This is why, if VR46 wants to field a team next year and Suzuki wants to bring in a satellite team and VR46 does not use Suzukis, one of them will have to buy an existing team like Avintia.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:40:50 pm by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2021, 10:23:19 pm »

all these fancy 'aids' are gonna be needed if they wanna beat MM
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2021, 10:09:20 am »

all these fancy 'aids' are gonna be needed if they wanna beat MM

:laughing4: :laughing4:

MM93 trolling this early in the season?   :o

Thing is, at present it is absolutely impossible for any of them to beat MM93, just like it is impossible for them to beat you, or me  since none of us are actually in the race to be beaten.   >:D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:10:02 am by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!