Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rally parts and setup needed for local events  (Read 201 times)

Offline JSuttie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Rally parts and setup needed for local events
« on: February 04, 2021, 07:40:42 pm »
Hi all, I'm looking to get into roadbook rally racing, and it seems that the special parts are fairly hard to find here.

I'm not concerned about nav tower, lights, fuel tanks, etc. as I'm capable of sourcing/making the majority of those parts. It's things like the tripmeter / compass that I am battling to source. My build has yet to begin in earnest, but I have the bike and I'd like to start putting feelers out for the hard to find parts.
Also hoping someone can point me in the right direction to with regards to how much of that is actually needed. I know for sure I'd need a roadbook holder, a tripmeter, and a cap repeater. Am I missing anything?

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Rally parts and setup needed for local events
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 03:25:57 pm »
Easiest is to buy used or place an ad in the smalls when you look for something.  An eTrex 10 has a compass and is usually specced for tracking purposed, so you don't need a separate compass.

I used an old GPSV as a back-up to the CAP, cost me R500.  Best to have a cable trip (ICO) and separate CAP/trip

Offline SparkMark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:30:53 pm »
well it depends on how much you want to spend.

You can go full hog and get the RNS GFX units. One unit has both CAP and Trip which is great. so you only really need one to start with.

Speak to Garth Roberts for GFX units

Else, second hand I know of a whole setup (RB, ICO's and switches) going for R18k I think.

Also chat with Willem Avenant ... he was looking at some entry level packages.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:04:10 pm »

Quote from: JSuttie on February 04, 2021, 07:40:42 pm>Hi all, I'm looking to get into roadbook rally racing, and it seems that the special parts are fairly hard to find here.

I'm not concerned about nav tower, lights, fuel tanks, etc. as I'm capable of sourcing/making the majority of those parts. It's things like the tripmeter / compass that I am battling to source. My build has yet to begin in earnest, but I have the bike and I'd like to start putting feelers out for the hard to find parts.
Also hoping someone can point me in the right direction to with regards to how much of that is actually needed. I know for sure I'd need a roadbook holder, a tripmeter, and a cap repeater. Am I missing anything?

I have 6 or 7 road book HOLDERS in stock, 1 i stainless, 6 are alu...
then I may have some other bits and pieces, but Roadbook holder i have, as well as the - often compulsory - disposable mats that go under the bike in the paddock, etc.
Cheers
CHris
021 510 6455

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline JSuttie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:22:25 am »
Thanks for the replies. I will probably put up a "wanted" ad when I'm closer to completion - at this point I still have to totally overhaul the frame and suspension of my bike, as well as making the modifications to add extra fuel capacity, nav tower, etc.

I may start a build thread, but I'm so bad at using forums that I might never get it all uploaded.