Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: RR of our weekend of R&R on two RRs and a R...... and some rain & rivers..  (Read 1023 times)

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
Re: RR of our weekend of R&R on two RRs and a R...... and some rain & rivers..
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2021, 06:02:16 pm »
We took a different route home - same result

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2021, 06:03:44 pm »
We arrived back home much earlier than planned and Bart was ready to head home to PTA

Thank you for a great weekend @BuRP and @chopper pilot !

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 06:04:54 pm by Noneking »

Online BuRP

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2021, 06:43:34 pm »
Wow! That's a lot of water. You okes have some serious testicular weight riding the red snot along  mountain roads like that

Snot..... snot has grip!
But, imagine an eel in a bucket of snot, and try to grab it with your bare hands - NO squire, nottachance!

That was the case on some patches of yellowish rock-lookalike mud, quite hard, not a slimelayer on top neither any visible tracks when you ride over it.... weird stuff I'd never seen yet!
It looks like porous sandstone but definitely is not, my precious jewels on a block!
The first time I actually stopped on a sliiiight uphill to check if my rear tyre was flat, it felt like that: little drive, wallowing sideways for no reason.
Henk stopped next to me to ask what was wrong, and I told him "dunno, something funny".
I let out the clutch and I saw the wheel just spin up, zero drive, an ant could have held the front in place, and the tyre didn't dig in at all, zero mark, nothing whatsoever - akin like ice, so: ominous.
It was on a downhill patch that Henk and me went down, me right in front to entertain Henk - to no avail as he bought the same plaas  :P
I slid under the bike in the berm, soft - but Henk wasn't that lucky, he was winded a bit.

I know @Noneking has some pictures of these scattered bikes lying all over, but he's way too polite and mannered to post them here..... yeah that's a compliment C, but please do post them?
If only to show the yellowish "sandstone" outcrop-lookalike, which is as slippery soos n paling in n emmer snot  >:D

Beware guys, I now know too  ;)
In comparison to this the red klay is fine, the bike just squirms a bit - and it has a name, 'glad soos n stuk Lifebuoy seep inni bad' .... but as said a tyre will find at least some some traction on it!
If anyone knows what the yellowish sandstone-lookalike mud is called let us know please, because for now I dropped it on an anonymous piece of ^^%%$$#  :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 06:45:56 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2021, 06:48:46 pm »
Wow! That's a lot of water. You okes have some serious testicular weight riding the red snot along  mountain roads like that

Snot..... snot has grip!
But, imagine an eel in a bucket of snot, and try to grab it with your bare hands - NO squire, nottachance!

That was the case on some patches of yellowish rock-lookalike mud, quite hard, not a slimelayer on top neither any visible tracks when you ride over it.... weird stuff I'd never seen yet!
It looks like porous sandstone but definitely is not, my precious jewels on a block!
The first time I actually stopped on a sliiiight uphill to check if my rear tyre was flat, it felt like that: little drive, wallowing sideways for no reason.
Henk stopped next to me to ask what was wrong, and I told him "dunno, something funny".
I let out the clutch and I saw the wheel just spin up, zero drive, an ant could have held the front in place, and the tyre didn't dig in at all, zero mark, nothing whatsoever - akin like ice, so: ominous.
It was on a downhill patch that Henk and me went down, me right in front to entertain Henk - to no avail as he bought the same plaas  :P
I slid under the bike in the berm, soft - but Henk wasn't that lucky, he was winded a bit.

I know @Noneking has some pictures of these scattered bikes lying all over, but he's way too polite and mannered to post them here..... yeah that's a compliment C, but please do post them?
If only to show the yellowish "sandstone" outcrop-lookalike, which is as slippery soos n paling in n emmer snot  >:D

In comparison to this the red klay is fine, the bike just squirms a bit - and it has a name, 'glad soos n stuk Lifebuoy seep inni bad' .... but as said a tyre will find at least some some traction on it!
If anyone knows what the yellowish sandstone-lookalike mud is called let us know please, because for now I dropped it on an anonymous piece of ^^%%$$#  :(
Itís called Sabie Sunlight...... like in Sunlight dishwashing soap...... al lot of the forestry areas around sabie has it.

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2021, 06:52:38 pm »

Snot..... snot has grip!

Itís called Sabie Sunlight...... like in Sunlight dishwashing soap...... al lot of the forestry areas around sabie has it.
....... so basically hard clay with thin layer of moss growing on it

Offline Cable Tie

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2021, 07:50:55 pm »
Awesome ride, thanks fir sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skydiver

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2021, 08:59:52 pm »
Looks as if that area received some serious rain.
Kudus to the three of you for going out riding anyway.
Nice photos as always.
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2021, 06:09:55 am »
Video showing some of the riding. Unfortunately the gopro kept fogging up inside the lens protector, so most of my footage was not useable....

&t=21s

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2021, 06:44:39 am »
Great  video of the R's & mud 👍 Never seen so much water in the Lowveld !

The following users thanked this post: Noneking

Offline stcomza

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2021, 07:47:22 am »

Thank you for sharing. Those before and after pics are wow, just wow!  :thumleft:
Have you hugged your motorcycle today?

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2021, 07:55:00 am »
Nice pic's  :thumleft:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 08:38:09 am »
Stunning green is your valley!! :thumleft: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline w@nted

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2021, 10:01:18 am »
Baie mooi fotos NK!

3 goed wat vir my uitstaan in die ride report:

1. Laeveld het BAIE reen gehad
2. KTM 7/890 is n BAIE mooi motorfiets
3. Oom Bart is BAIE lank.

Dankie vir die deel!
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, TBC

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2021, 02:01:15 pm »
Great  video of the R's & mud 👍 Never seen so much water in the Lowveld !

Me neither!  :eek7:

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 02:01:48 pm »
Baie mooi fotos NK!

3 goed wat vir my uitstaan in die ride report:

1. Laeveld het BAIE reen gehad
2. KTM 7/890 is n BAIE mooi motorfiets
3. Oom Bart is BAIE lank.

Dankie vir die deel!

Stem saam met al 3 punte..... :ricky:

Offline Psycho Porra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2021, 02:31:05 pm »
looks like fun was had by all including Oom Burp
KTM990, XT660R

"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Online Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2021, 06:44:00 pm »

:imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2021, 08:33:10 pm »
 :eek7: :eek7:

Wow, rain, rain, rain, I remember the Kruger fence road so well, and that stopping place, which now look totally different!

I am very wary of water crossings, and will rather do big distance around than risk going through.

And yes, those RR's "r" just very special....... :thumleft:

Online BuRP

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2021, 08:27:46 am »

Yeah, read that too, sortof  :P
Good education & manners hmm?
One never can hide those  :thumleft:
Let's ride w@nted, that oom bit will fall away along the wayside then  ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:28:34 am by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Online BuRP

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2021, 08:42:46 am »
I am very wary of water crossings, and will rather do big distance around than risk going through.

Same here, if there's no 'must' then a detour suits me fine, call me a sissy.
Chopperpilot almost lost his bike there but he parked it juuuuust safe.... maybe that's the same as landing a chopper Henk?  :P
The railway berm was just up there so we rather took that, at the other watercrossings we weren't that lucky and had to detour or turn back.
With a lighter bike comes a better chance to risk it, but wit ~200kg & low saggy tanks the water's hold becomes too much too fast.
No regrets though, it was an awesome ride: sogging wet but not cold  :thumleft: