Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF450L Surprised!!  (Read 472 times)

Offline XRRX

CRF450L Surprised!!
« on: February 09, 2021, 05:09:15 pm »
Yes, my son bought a corked-up version - the so-called disappointment....
The demo he tested beforehand was an un-corked one - US ECU an intake... standard pipe - that does not work too well - rather tempramental I would say...

The std one is smoother on the throttle, but would still break the rear tyre loose up to 5th gear easily!!
I know at some stage in future he will want to uncork it, but much more research is neccesary to find the optimum solution - maybe power commander, or Vortex and definelately a pipe!!!
Std pipe sounds horrible!!!
Bike now on 220 odd km, 23km/l - still riding it in...
Suspension in a different league than most road legal bikes!!!

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: CRF450L Surprised!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 05:16:34 pm »
Middel foto is hy dan amper oranje?!! ;) :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 06:25:56 pm »
That is just plain awesome, congrats to the lucky guy
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

The following users thanked this post: XRRX

Offline XRRX

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:25:01 pm »

Kan nie wees Chris, die ding is dan betroubaar... :P

Offline Ri

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:58:11 pm »

Kan nie wees Chris, die ding is dan betroubaar... :P

:laughing4: :imaposer:

Offline hiltonph

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Probeer hom maar regop hou al is dit op een wiel..
    • Weskaap Stofpad Ryers
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 03:21:12 pm »
Yes, my son bought a corked-up version - the so-called disappointment....
The demo he tested beforehand was an un-corked one - US ECU an intake... standard pipe - that does not work too well - rather tempramental I would say...

The std one is smoother on the throttle, but would still break the rear tyre loose up to 5th gear easily!!
I know at some stage in future he will want to uncork it, but much more research is neccesary to find the optimum solution - maybe power commander, or Vortex and definelately a pipe!!!
Std pipe sounds horrible!!!
Bike now on 220 odd km, 23km/l - still riding it in...
Suspension in a different league than most road legal bikes!!!

Many happy and safe kms bud. Congrats on the new wheels!!
#maakstof

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R / Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000

The following users thanked this post: XRRX

Offline XRRX

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 02:42:24 pm »
So given the 18yr old rider, Dad had to start the modification process... :patch:

"We" had three main gripes with the bike:  1.   It sounds horrible as already said.    2.   It runs extremely HOT - the main frame on the righthand side gets so hot, that you can barely touch it - very uncomfortable while riding!!   3.   Jerky on/off throttle - difficult to control in traffic as well as technical terrain!!

So the research started: No one seems to import an Exhaust for these bikes in SA!!! (CRF450X/R won't fit...) So I took the standard muffler to an exhaust guy to operate... (It weighs 5,6kg!!)
We decided to leave the "cat" intact at the front of the muffler, but removed everything behind it and replaced it with a proper free-flow system including packing. (same diameter as header pipe and standard end-cap outlet hole. And it still weighs 5,6kg ::)). I'm not very happy with the neatness of the job, but boy does it sound good!!! :eek7: I've never heard a better sounding 450, and it is not overly loud.

Suddenly the "Heat" problem also completely disappeared - bargain for R1000!!

Then the local Dealer told me the "un-cork" airbox rubber will work and we ordered one at R650. Had it fitted - big mistake!!! Hellavu hesitation from low to mid, and then all hell breaks loose!!! :eek7: OK, then I ordered a Boosterplug from Roodt at West Coast Parts at R2630 - delivered to George in less than 24hrs - awesome service!!!

Ok, now the hesitation was gone - the thing would fly :o until about 80% throttle where it would stall on and off - almost like a limiter effect - guess that must be the restrictions programmed into the standard ECU...

So, to cut a long story short - I reamed the tiny hole inside the standard airbox rubber - only about 1,5mm all the way around (max you can go). My calculations tells me it relates to about a 20% increase in area/air-flow. Then I had to strip about half the bike to swop out the airbox rubbers again!!! :eek7: :eek7:

Well, it was all worth it - the bike is notably stronger, no hiccups or hesitations anywhere, and the Boosterplug completely eliminated that snatchy throttle!!!
It would now reach 135 with the same input more or less it took before-hand to reach 120.
And I say again - it is so smooth now and sounds awesome!!!

Hope this can assist somebody else with the same issues... ;)

ps: I guess I will eventually import an unrestricted ECU, and fit that with the bigger airbox rubber we now have - that with the Boosterplug and exhaust changes should make this thing a real monster! Honda SA's price for that ECU is just plain ridiculous - they should have fitted it standard in the first place!!! :deal:

Offline XRRX

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 02:53:38 pm »
...and the PROUD owner!! :biggrin: :3some:

Online teebag

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 05:04:24 pm »
surprised about the heat issue though as i thought the Cat was a big contributor to this, and you say your guy left it alone.

The X can is supposed to bolt right up, but you need the X header too - think only from the later years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline XRRX

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 05:53:19 pm »
surprised about the heat issue though as i thought the Cat was a big contributor to this, and you say your guy left it alone.

The X can is supposed to bolt right up, but you need the X header too - think only from the later years

Yes, I agree about the cat, but I belief because the can is now open after the cat, the heat can actually get out...
Belief me, standard that thing was almost completely closed-up!!
....yes, the X can will indeed fit with the X headers.

Online teebag

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 05:58:37 pm »
good to know

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 06:14:08 pm »

Yes, I agree about the cat, but I belief because the can is now open after the cat, the heat can actually get out...
Belief me, standard that thing was almost completely closed-up!!
....yes, the X can will indeed fit with the X headers.

Lots of the big old bikes like the 1150 ran great and quiet enough without the silencer due to the cat.  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 08:57:36 pm »
Honda SA's price for that ECU is just plain ridiculous - they should have fitted it standard in the first place!!! :deal:
My understanding is that Honda recently released 50 CRF 450Ls with the USA ECU in place, at same selling price as previous selling price, I guess Jan or Feb this year, confirmed by both Tygerberg Honda and Canal Walk Honda...
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 06:47:04 am »
Honda SA's price for that ECU is just plain ridiculous - they should have fitted it standard in the first place!!! :deal:
My understanding is that Honda recently released 50 CRF 450Ls with the USA ECU in place, at same selling price as previous selling price, I guess Jan or Feb this year, confirmed by both Tygerberg Honda and Canal Walk Honda...
Chris
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick, XRRX