Leo's trip down memory lane (Not a ride, but a rather a recent travel report)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I recently had the privilege to re-visit Oshakati for business and jumped at the opportunity as I was rather curious as to what had happened to all the military structures we left behind when the SADF pulled out of Namibia in â??89.

As regular forum members might know, I served for several years in the armoured corpse and we did most of our border duties either at 61 Meg or at 10 Pantser in Oshakati.

We were upgrading computer software for a big customer in Ondangwa, Oshakati and Oshikango, so it was just logical for me to volunteered to do the upgrade at the Oshakati branch.

We arrived at a fairly hot Ondangwa and it immediately became apparent that there was little or nothing left of all the military installations that stood all over the place when last I was there.

My colleagues were staying in the Protea hotel in Ondangwa while I was booked in at the Oshandira Lodge in Oshakati.

The Protea hotel was opened by Sam Njoma and Robert Mogabe. No wonder his country is in such as state, heâ??s travelling all over Africa opening hotels.

Oshakati6.jpg

While I was waiting for my lift to Oshakati, my colleagues hit the pool while we ordered a few cold ones. Of course we had to remove a dead mole from the pool and the water was rather dirty, and the walls very slimy, but it was so hot, nobody was complaining. 

Oshakati7.jpg

My lift arrived late afternoon as we set off for Oshakati. I was in for a big surprise.
Oshakati was about 100 times bigger and like th erest of Owamboland, was expanding at a tremendous rate. The place is still as hot as I recall, the sand just as white and the mosquitoes still a nuisance. I had decided not to take anti malaria tables, so I had to be very careful not to fall prey to any of these little fuckers, so I had ample supplies of citronella candles, peaceful sleep and doom.

10 Pantser was situated right next to the runway, but today this structure has become obsolete and no traces of our base were anywhere to be seen. The area just left of the runway before the hanger was where our base was situated.

Oshakati8.jpg

The tall telecommunications tower is still standing

Oshakati9.jpg

Most of the streets are still gravel

Oshakati10.jpg

There are still several of the old PF houses standing and they are mostly occupied by locals, some with high walls and expensive looking houses, but some in a very poor state.

Oshakati11.jpg

These old bunkers were one of a few military structures from the past

Oshakati12.jpg

Water is still pumped into these towers to provide pressure

Oshakati13.jpg

A visit to the Ruacana falls provided little or no excitement; the falls was as dry as a nunâ??s eyes.

Oshakati14.jpg

Check where this Baobab tree was trying to grow

Oshakati15.jpg

The border into Angola

Oshakati16.jpg

Ruacana town have about 10 houses standing, the rest have all been taken down. All that remains are the cement platforms where the houses previously stood

Oshakati17.jpg

Did I mention that Owamboland is flat?

Oshakati18.jpg

In fact itâ??s very flat  :3some:

Oshakati19.jpg

Some of the roads are being tarred, so if you want to travel some of the 37000 kmâ??s of gravel roads left in Namibia, do it soon as they are rapidly decreasing.

Oshakati20.jpg

Yes there are still many ant-heaps and their tips still point north.

Oshakati21.jpg

Ever heard the story about the best 4X4Xfar is a rental car?  :mwink:

Oshakati22.jpg

We were on our way to Oshikango and were travelling parallel with the Angolan border.

Oshakati23.jpg

Oshikango is a buzzing metropolis where bribery is thriving and many U$ are changing hands. These guys can move 30 tons of cement across the border in one day using their bicycles. Reason being - everything less than N$500 crosses the border with zero import tax, so on the Angolan side the cement is re-loaded onto a truck and moved inland. Violla, lotsa moola saved. Their record is 7 bags of cement on one bicycle  :eek:

Oshakati24.jpg

The whole town is blocked by heavy truck trying to get across the border, so you have to be very wakeup when driving.

Oshakati25.jpg

Oshakati26.jpg

One can basically buy anything in town, OK anything you would want to export to Angola.

Oshakati27.jpg

We popped in at a local lodge and had to fork out N$45 for this oily Prego.

Oshakati28.jpg

Huge American pick-ups and Land Cruiser imported from Dubai are being sold at more than half their SA cost, but theyâ??re all LHD and there is no motor plan, etc.

Oshakati29.jpg

Check the price for these 5 ton run-arounds  :deal:

Oshakati30.jpg

At least theyâ??re selling the good stuff  :thumleft:

Oshakati31.jpg

This structure outside Ondangwa is also of a bygone era. Funacide, being an ex-budgie gunner will recognise. Anti aircraft guns was placed on these all over Owamboland, but these days this was the only one I saw that still remained.

Oshakati32.jpg

Very dilapidated and basically falling apart

Oshakati33.jpg

One of the shade nets where our Mirages were parked in the days of the border war

Oshakati34.jpg

Some controversial advertising for safe sex

Oshakati35.jpg

As mentioned I was staying at the Oshandira lodge, which is busy expanding, but the building is currently jeopardized by the rains and the clay sand where water doesnâ??t drain

Oshakati36.jpg

If youâ??re in the area, go stay there â?? reasonable value for money â?? hereâ??s the contact details.

Oshakati37.jpg

In Ongwediwa between Ondangwa and Oshakati we discovered Bennieâ??s Entertainment World. Fairly tame springbok roam between guests while you sit having a cold one.

Oshakati38.jpg

N$20 entry fee ensures the place is not flooded by hooligans

Oshakati39.jpg

Oshakati40.jpg

If you have a room without a bar fridge, one have to improvise

Oshakati41.jpg

In main road Oshakati, several pick ups are sold to the highest bidder.

Oshakati44.jpg

Oshakati42.jpg

Interesting fact - their plates indicate theyâ??re from Cape Town or Bellville  ???

Oshakati43.jpg

Our accommodation was from a previous era, but as mentioned, new ones are being built.

Oshakati45.jpg

Our menu had mopanie worms listed as a started, and of course we had to give it a try. Let me just say, I doubt Iâ??ll ever eat it again.

Oshakati.jpg

A few shots as we passed over the Etosha pans â?? interesting shapes and patterns

Oshakati4.jpg

Oshakati2.jpg

Owamboland is still scarred by hundreds of little kraalâ??s where every headman reins supreme. The entire area is crisscrossed with little footpaths and roads. 

Oshakati5.jpg

In summary, it was a great trip down memory lane and something that I have always wanted to do; hopefully next time I visit Iâ??ll be on the bike.  :thumleft: