Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Alice in Hondaland: Not-A-Honda-Launch Report  (Read 1037 times)

Offline elandsrider

Re: Alice in Hondaland: Not-A-Honda-Launch Report
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 08:39:18 pm »
Good one Ri
Always in the fun
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 02:46:33 pm »
"Has anyone ever told you you look like Alice Cooper?", Hardy asks Beserker aka Dave.
"Hasn't he been dead for like, 5 years?" Dave (now Alice) asks, non-plussed.

Actually played in a band, "Malice in Thunderland"  -  for all the wrong reasons (groupies)  :imaposer:
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Chief cook and bottle washer
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 03:36:36 pm »
Beserker, 2SD and Woody - It was really a pleasure having the senior citizens there. a World of knowledge fester between these guys and the youngsters should take effort in learning from them. I could sit there for hours on end and just listen.
Woody - you made us the most special steakrolls ever the previous evening and I loved the chat about your motorcycle history. Thank you for the effort of riding over 1000km solo to join us for 24 hours on a 26 year old bike. Respect.
Oom Dan - Every time we meet, I laugh in silence at how wrong some people are about you on the forum. Mini Dan should consider himself a lucky son.
Dave - Thank you for being such a fantastic friend, and thank you for all your effort with other guests during the day. Great review buddy. Honest and without faff - Just like I know you.

Ri,Dux, JT, Briv & wife, Fuzzy Muzzy and wife, JJ & wife, Lars, Angus, and all the souties who's names I don't remember right now, thank you for the pleasant company.
Beserker - You are spot on about Johann and Jonathan from Tygerberg - They live for customer service, and go about earning business in the right way.
Lastly - a Big hug to Chantal for your willingness to always drop everything and join me on whatever it is I do.

I will sign off with the best description of the 300L.

RIANA RODE IT THROUGH THE TECHNICAL SECTION AT KALEO AND DID NOT FALL ONCE - ENOUGH SAID.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:30:31 pm by Hardy de Kock »

The following users thanked this post: Beserker, Chantal Burger

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 04:06:51 pm »
 Dan is dit n goeie bike :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 04:22:33 pm »
Must say i like the lil hondas and now with the 286 motor make ideal smaller bikes. Now i just need 6 grand for the rally edition.

nice report.

Btw, Vincent Furnier is still very much alive and kicking and still touring.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Ri

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 09:31:46 pm »

RIANA RODE CRAWLED PADDLED IT THROUGH THE TECHNICAL SECTION AT KALEO AND DID NOT FALL ONCE - ENOUGH SAID.

Fixed that for you

True story!! :laughing4: :imaposer: :thumleft:

I really look forward to riding it again - after a bit of coaching on this off-road riding thing, and maybe with the preload dropped a smidge. 

I learnt to ride on the Suzuki DR650, which is a goat and a donkey and a tractor rolled into one. It goes where you point it, and it climbs anything to get there, at a slow, steady pace. I've only ever known its clunky brakes, quick engine braking and the slow throttle response, so this little EFI bike with its quick throttle unnerves me.

Yes, Beserker and Dux say it's not snatchy, but it is still overly responsive compared to what I'm used to. I rode with the clutch pulled half in most of the time in the slow stuff because the 1st gear felt too short and I worried that 2nd gear would stall, even though Hardy demonstrated time and again that it could pull his weight on level ground in 3rd gear, without touching the throttle, it's that torque-y.

I had a TTR230 I couldn't get to grips with and I sold it. This bike feels to me much the same as the TTR230, except more. More weight, more speed, more power, more substance. Great brakes! This bike is almost everything I want; I just need to learn to ride it properly, and not try to ride it like it's a DR650 Lite.

That said, after I paddled through the sandy section at the start of the trail, I got on the pegs and started to enjoy myself more. My position on the bike was all wrong, I'm sure, because I struggled to control the throttle smoothly, or maybe I just didn't realise how little throttle was needed for a response. Next moment I hit another sandy patch. The little bike's back wheel swung wildly from side to side, and I swore, expecting the fall, but the bike straightened out and carried on. I was shocked. On the DR I would be kissing dirt right now.

I quite fancy this little bike, different as it is from what I'm used to. If it followed me home, I might keep it :ricky:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:33:14 pm by Ri »

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 10:13:37 pm »
Nice report Rallyce, practice standing on your pegs wherever you go, even in traffic, it makes you shift weight and plant a bike properly offroad. While standing put your weight on the opposite peg to the direction you're turning but lean in the direction you're turning, it puts more tyre surface area in play, it feels counterintuitive and people may tease you for meercatting but it works, you'll never see a pro offroader sitting + it works your core nicely.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline Dux

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 06:10:52 am »

RIANA RODE CRAWLED PADDLED IT THROUGH THE TECHNICAL SECTION AT KALEO AND DID NOT FALL ONCE - ENOUGH SAID.

Fixed that for you

I really look forward to riding it again - after a bit of coaching on this off-road riding thing, and maybe with the preload dropped a smidge. 

I learnt to ride on the Suzuki DR650, which is a goat and a donkey and a tractor rolled into one. It goes where you point it, and it climbs anything to get there, at a slow, steady pace. I've only ever known its clunky brakes, quick engine braking and the slow throttle response, so this little EFI bike with its quick throttle unnerves me.

Yes, Beserker and Dux say it's not snatchy, but it is still overly responsive compared to what I'm used to. I rode with the clutch pulled half in most of the time in the slow stuff because the 1st gear felt too short and I worried that 2nd gear would stall, even though Hardy demonstrated time and again that it could pull his weight on level ground in 3rd gear, without touching the throttle, it's that torque-y.

I had a TTR230 I couldn't get to grips with and I sold it. This bike feels to me much the same as the TTR230, except more. More weight, more speed, more power, more substance. Great brakes! This bike is almost everything I want; I just need to learn to ride it properly, and not try to ride it like it's a DR650 Lite.

That said, after I paddled through the sandy section at the start of the trail, I got on the pegs and started to enjoy myself more. My position on the bike was all wrong, I'm sure, because I struggled to control the throttle smoothly, or maybe I just didn't realise how little throttle was needed for a response. Next moment I hit another sandy patch. The little bike's back wheel swung wildly from side to side, and I swore, expecting the fall, but the bike straightened out and carried on. I was shocked. On the DR I would be kissing dirt right now.

I quite fancy this little bike, different as it is from what I'm used to. If it followed me home, I might keep it :ricky:

There is a difference between snatchy and responsive , snatchiness is where you have a bit of lag when you start opening the throttle and is jerky and sudden , often enough to break traction or to upset the composure of a bike , responsiveness is how the bike actually pulls at any particular rpm . So in the case of the 300 the throttle control off a closed throttle is remarkably smooth and then has a very responsive pull particularly at lower rpm and it carries on right through the rev range
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:31:01 am by Dux »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 08:05:15 am »
Big plus is how the exhaust will not need changing for a aftermarket silencer.

Throaty without being noisy, and not bulky.

Subtract R10 000 from the price, as, most other bikes will need a aftermarket tailpipe.

Offline Ri

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 11:51:58 am »

Fixed that for you

There is a difference between snatchy and responsive , snatchiness is where you have a bit of lag when you start opening the throttle and is jerky and sudden , often enough to break traction or to upset the composure of a bike , responsiveness is how the bike actually pulls at any particular rpm . So in the case of the 300 the throttle control off a closed throttle is remarkably smooth and then has a very responsive pull particularly at lower rpm and it carries on right through the rev range

Like I said: in your and Dave's view, responsive; in my view, snatchy. Power came on/off too suddenly, making bike jerk, because I'm used to wringing my donkey's ear, not caress it gently. Not the fault of the bike, but of the rider.

Nice report Rallyce, practice standing on your pegs wherever you go, even in traffic, it makes you shift weight and plant a bike properly offroad. While standing put your weight on the opposite peg to the direction you're turning but lean in the direction you're turning, it puts more tyre surface area in play, it feels counterintuitive and people may tease you for meercatting but it works, you'll never see a pro offroader sitting + it works your core nicely.

Hate standing. @2StrokeDan doesn't stand  :imaposer:

I joke. I did in fact stand, and am quite adept at standing at crawling speed. High speed turns.... no thank you.  I'll definitely go for more off-road riding lessons when I get this bike, though. Richtersveld Eco 4x4 awaits  :ricky:

Offline blauth

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 05:11:40 am »

In fear of being 'that guy'......I have to respectfully disagree with your comment about standing in traffic. It's both illegal and a bad idea. Don't do it! You do not gain superior control on the road standing on pegs.

I feel this is poorly advised.   :(

Offline Ri

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 09:22:14 am »

In fear of being 'that guy'......I have to respectfully disagree with your comment about standing in traffic. It's both illegal and a bad idea. Don't do it! You do not gain superior control on the road standing on pegs.

I feel this is poorly advised.   :(

I need to get on the pegs more but I fully agree, not in traffic.