Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Motorcycle riding in the Netherlands  (Read 1996 times)

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Re: Motorcycle riding in the Netherlands
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 07:26:52 pm »
6m below sea level.
In my living room.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Offline BuRP

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 08:01:53 pm »
6m below sea level.
In my living room.

Us okes normally have little respect for dykes, however I bet you will be very friendly to them now.
I'd still be careful of putting a finger in them though  :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:02:47 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 08:18:10 pm »
Surfboard langs my bed

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Offline jkrijt

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 10:23:25 pm »
BTW, I'm here now ................................ living in the countryside on the border of Germany. No-one here speaks English, which makes life interesting.

Hi, I am very surprised that no-one speaks English somewhere in the Netherlands. Everyone has to learn some English at school. English and American friends complained  that they can't learn Dutch because everyone starts speaking English when they find out they are not Dutch.  In what dark corner of the Netherlands are you ?
Regards,

Jan Krijtenburg
The bike is a 2005 BMW R1200GS
My personal homepage with trip reports: https://www.krijtenburg.nl

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2021, 07:42:09 am »
BTW, I'm here now ................................ living in the countryside on the border of Germany. No-one here speaks English, which makes life interesting.

Hi, I am very surprised that no-one speaks English somewhere in the Netherlands. Everyone has to learn some English at school. English and American friends complained  that they can't learn Dutch because everyone starts speaking English when they find out they are not Dutch.  In what dark corner of the Netherlands are you ?
Well the Netherlands is dark for most of the year, so he can be anywhere...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2021, 08:00:57 am »
Surfboard langs my bed

At least you don't need a gun under your pillow - I believe drowning is one of the lesser traumatic ways to die.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 10:54:29 pm »

Living in the countryside near Ootmarsum - working on a building site in Ter Apel. Twents is the local dialect ........................... which is what I'm gonna be learning ...............  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 11:51:47 pm »

Living in the countryside near Ootmarsum - working on a building site in Ter Apel. Twents is the local dialect ........................... which is what I'm gonna be learning ............... 
A colleague of mine grew up around that area.  Definitely a different accent,  that's for sure. Welkom in het (of de?) platteland.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 09:11:20 am »
I just realize again and again nothing beats riding in South Africa.... it has to rate as one the best riding regions on the planet.... we are lucky fish indeed... :thumleft:

Rent an adventure bike next time here Jan, you are misisng the best of the country on a road bike...  ;)
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2021, 09:12:36 am »

Living in the countryside near Ootmarsum - working on a building site in Ter Apel. Twents is the local dialect ........................... which is what I'm gonna be learning ...............  :biggrin:

As a matter of interest, will Afrikaans and Twents be able to have some sort of conversation? 
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Tony the Boney

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 09:21:55 am »
 :sip:
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline BuRP

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 09:37:09 am »
As a matter of interest, will Afrikaans and Twents be able to have some sort of conversation?

Yes, they can have sex as per normal, no problem.... so Cracker should be safe in this respect.
Otherwise norrafork, as Twents is a lingo entirely on its own with no relation to Nederlands or any of its gazillion accents, Gronings, Fries or Acherhoeks - the latter three totally independent languages, note please.
If you habitually shag sheep or feel more comfortable inbetween bovines rather than humans you may pick it up fairly quickly, shouldn't take more than around a lifetime I'd say.
So, Cracker should fit right in!

Oh, they do have one thing to look forward to though, yes, 1 thing..... the Dutch TT in Assen!  :thumleft: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:40:42 am by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

The following users thanked this post: Altie7deLaan

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 09:49:46 am »

Yes, they can have sex as per normal, no problem.... so Cracker should be safe in this respect.
Otherwise norrafork, as Twents is a lingo entirely on its own with no relation to Nederlands or any of its gazillion accents, Gronings, Fries or Acherhoeks - the latter three totally independent languages, note please.
If you habitually shag sheep or feel more comfortable inbetween bovines rather than humans you may pick it up fairly quickly, shouldn't take more than around a lifetime I'd say.

Oh, they do have one thing to look forward to though, yes, 1 thing..... the Dutch TT in Assen!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

A couple of years ago I worked for 7 weeks in San Giorgio di Nogaro in Italy, not too far from Venice. Small town. Weekends I drove all over the show.
It was evident that there, the older people in the platteland areas dont speak a word of english, and they dont like people that do not speak Italian.
Many younger adults can do a basic bit of English, and seems more friendly. But probably these guys that do a bit more travelling and get into the cities a bit more.

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 09:59:18 am »

Another thing to look forward to is the Dakar prelude which normally takes place around the end of November.

https://www.preproloog.nl/tickets/

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline jkrijt

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 04:01:38 pm »
There is a new bike in the Motormobilist stable, a BMW R1200GS and here is the video of the delivery of the bike and the first ride, with an unexpected Volvo surprise.

Regards,

Jan Krijtenburg

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 09:32:08 pm »
Tx Jan, you're giving me hope ...................... with the warmer weather coming, I'm keen to get back on the bike ................ now I think about it, I've seen a few adventure bikes on those little country roads  :thumleft:

Even a couple enduro bikes ....................... nice to see they are legal on the roads here. Around me a lot of youngsters ride those motard 2T bikes - 125cc maybe?

Altie, Twents is far removed from  Afrikaans. I can understand what Jan is saying in his videos but some words I haven't yet learned.

If you speak Afrikaans without closing your mouth after being stung by a bee in your eye ..................... that's Twents.

Offline jkrijt

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2021, 05:55:58 pm »
Around me a lot of youngsters ride those motard 2T bikes - 125cc maybe?
I think these are 50cc mopeds or scooters. A lot of youngsters from 16 to 18 ride them. You have to be 18 to get a motorcycle drivers license in the Netherlands but you can get your moped license from 16 years old.

I can understand what Jan is saying in his videos but some words I haven't yet learned.
You can use the English subtitles in YouTube

If you speak Afrikaans without closing your mouth after being stung by a bee in your eye ..................... that's Twents.
I don't know Twents but it sounds funny the way you describe it   :laughing4:
Regards,

Jan Krijtenburg

Offline jkrijt

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2021, 05:51:17 pm »
Another Motormobilist video. I made this video of a nice motorcycle ride to Nispen a few weeks ago and finaly found the time to edit and publish it.   It is in Dutch with English subtitles.
I hope you like it and if you do, please, subscribe to our channel on YouTube.

Regards,

Jan Krijtenburg

Offline jkrijt

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2021, 11:46:05 am »
This Friday we have a solo Motormobilist video of my son Vincent who rode to Sint Annaland on the Isle Tholen on his BMW F650GS Dakar.

I hope you like it and if you do, please, subscribe to our channel on YouTube.
Regards,

Jan Krijtenburg

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2021, 04:14:06 pm »
Tx .............................. now I know what a speed camera looks like here. There are a lot of bikes around and I can hear a few that don't bother with speed limits.

For those that haven't been here, you'll see there are no stop signs. Makes for non-stop riding, especially if you're a cyclist.

There's a few things to know here: - So very different to SA.

First is that cyclists rule. Even when you have right of way, be careful, the cyclists are in charge. And scooter riders are also cyclists, sharing their lanes.
Small intersections are unmarked and you give way to traffic on your right at them. That is, if you remember, and I keep forgetting. Seems  weird.
Another one is that some traffic can turn right on a red light. When and how, I don't know but I'm watching ............................

I travel through Germany to work every day and it's like being back in SA. Everyone speeds and the road markings are the same .................. makes me relax  :biggrin: :biggrin: