Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tyre leaking from the bead?  (Read 257 times)

Offline Roadhawg

Tyre leaking from the bead?
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:57:40 am »
Put some Karoo streets on in December. No issues.
Did a trip to Sabie.  No issues.
Did a few rides over Chirstmas/new years, no issues.

Then for the last 3 or so weeks, I haven't had a chance to ride, Bike sat.  Took it off the centre stand on Friday and the front is completely flat.  No sign of a puncture. pumped it up and gave the bike a wash and noticed it's bubbling out from between the rim and the tyre in multiple spots. Rim is fine, no bends or anything.

Any way to fix this?  Was basically flat again by Sunday afternoon. Could it be from not riding somehow?

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Raait. Wie plak stickers ????
Re: Tyre leaking from the bead?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:04:22 am »
Remove tire.
Clean bead and tire bead-seat properly
Refit.
Inflate.

We have found on occasion that k@k somehow enters that area and causes deflation - ie wet sand/ mud gets into the bead, but does not initially deflate the wheel. When it dries out, it creates the perfect gap for air to escape.

Just a thought.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:08:43 am »
Remove tire.
Refit.
Inflate.

We have found on occasion that k@k somehow enters that area and causes deflation - ie wet sand/ mud gets into the bead, but does not initially deflate the wheel. When it dries out, it creates the perfect gap for air to escape.

Just a thought.

Ok I'll give it a bash.  Was wondering if maybe there was a Karoo Street issue but no evidence of it on forums...where okes usually moan about stuff, :biggrin: so I'm sure it's something like that.

Online BuRP

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:18:55 pm »
Could it be from not riding somehow?

Of course it can Stu: leave it for a decennium or longer and rest assured the tyres will be flat!
No, don't thank me, and also no, I won't wait for your post checking me on this  :P

You didn't go ride some dirt skelm somewhere alone did you?
Fooi man, you got my number...  ;D

Yip, take the lot off (tyre OFF rim!), wash & scrub the lot, let dry, then inspect minutely to see if you can spot some leakage potential.
On my 300 (with Tubliss system) I found out that the tyre's bead had thousands little moulded radial ridges (NOT a tubeless tyre mind!), and this caused the tyre to leak slowly.... so I had to put another new one on, this one not having these ridges.
Your tubeless tyre won't have these, I only mention this because one has to have a genuinely good look, I missed them during the first quick-fix attempt to repair  :(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:19:58 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:37:00 pm »
Could it be from not riding somehow?

Of course it can Stu: leave it for a decennium or longer and rest assured the tyres will be flat!
No, don't thank me, and also no, I won't wait for your post checking me on this  :P

You didn't go ride some dirt skelm somewhere alone did you?
Fooi man, you got my number...  ;D

Yip, take the lot off (tyre OFF rim!), wash & scrub the lot, let dry, then inspect minutely to see if you can spot some leakage potential.
On my 300 (with Tubliss system) I found out that the tyre's bead had thousands little moulded radial ridges (NOT a tubeless tyre mind!), and this caused the tyre to leak slowly.... so I had to put another new one on, this one not having these ridges.
Your tubeless tyre won't have these, I only mention this because one has to have a genuinely good look, I missed them during the first quick-fix attempt to repair  :(

With an 8week old baby, any riding currently a quick sneak off if I see mom and baby are asleep on a Sunday morning unfortunately!   But soon!!! 

I am thinking about going back to more knobblies anyway, these streets are a bit scary in sand and mud.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 05:14:36 pm »
I've found this to be an issue only with Mitas E07's on both front and rear of my 1150,  and it's a mild PITA.  Been back three or four times to the supplier - Neptune Tyres PE - and they have been patient and persistent, removing tyres cleaning and inspecting minutely and water testing after re-fitting. No leakage apparent, but I can still expect to lose at least 0,5 bar over a week.
They tell me I'm not the only E07 customer with the problem. I'm just living with it........ :-\
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 05:21:24 pm »
I've found this to be an issue only with Mitas E07's on both front and rear of my 1150,  and it's a mild PITA.  Been back three or four times to the supplier - Neptune Tyres PE - and they have been patient and persistent, removing tyres cleaning and inspecting minutely and water testing after re-fitting. No leakage apparent, but I can still expect to lose at least 0,5 bar over a week.
They tell me I'm not the only E07 customer with the problem. I'm just living with it........ :-\

Porous rim?

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:14 pm »

Porous rim?

Same problem with EO-7 on the front on my 1150. Took it back, rim corroded. Never happened before. We reckoned it was the muti they used to slide it on. Cleaned and used non-water based this time. Seems to be holding.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 05:40:44 pm »
My rims were never porous with Annakees. Would hold pressure between each check most of the time and only need the occasional puff.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Online Flowers

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Happiness is
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 09:33:44 pm »
Remove tire.
Refit.
Inflate.

Just a thought.
Remove Karoo street’s and replace. Worse tyres ever. If you off road and get a puncture they are impossible to plug. Karoo 3s great but streets are kak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 11:39:42 am »
Remove tire.
Refit.
Inflate.

Just a thought.
Remove Karoo street’s and replace. Worse tyres ever. If you off road and get a puncture they are impossible to plug. Karoo 3s great but streets are kak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually only bought them for a 98% tar trip I do every year in December. And they handled that, and a VERY wet ride home very well. But yeah when things get sandy they're a bit scary!!