Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pan America - the best Harley by far?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
Re: Pan America - the best Harley by far?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 12:07:49 pm »
 :imaposer: the bike's headlight does look like Bender

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 12:39:05 pm »
good info

https://advrider.com/harley-davidsons-pan-america-1250-breaks-cover/

The specs look surprisingly good, and any proper alternative in any big segment is a good thing. I also think people love to judge based on nothing and that a lot of them was wrong, so I like it
Spoke tubeless wheels also available...

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 12:40:01 pm »
:imaposer: the bike's headlight does look like Bender
I think that wide snout makes for less buffeting, it also makes the screen simpler.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 01:03:05 pm »
Have I lost too many brain cells to opine; I would have preferred a frontal design with some old fashioned round l.e.d. headlamps, perhaps similar to the BMW GS/GSA, asymmetrical arrangement of the early to mid-2000's, except symmetrical, considering the bike is manufactured by a 118 year old company known for selling a good number of cruisers with round headlamps? 

The frontal design makes me think 'Transformers', when it could easily said Softail ridden by Swarzenegger in 'Terminator'. 
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it.  The felon does not fear the police, judge, nor jury.  The felon must be taught to fear his victim.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 01:15:18 pm »
Have I lost too many brain cells to opine; I would have preferred a frontal design with some old fashioned round l.e.d. headlamps, perhaps similar to the BMW GS/GSA, asymmetrical arrangement of the early to mid-2000's, except symmetrical, considering the bike is manufactured by a 118 year old company known for selling a good number of cruisers with round headlamps? 

The frontal design makes me think 'Transformers', when it could easily said Softail ridden by Swarzenegger in 'Terminator'.
:laughing4:

In any case this bike is out of my league unless I win the Lotto... I would buy one just cos I can then. :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline JacoM

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 01:18:42 pm »
I see the dust coming...
A herd of Harley riders on the R355, occupying most of the road through the Tankwa. Dust only to be surpassed by the the AfricaBurn trek. All in place, Captain, vice-capt, under vice-captain, etc. etc. Everybody else  in the organised formation completely covered with dust biggrin:
Tankwa Padstal completely taken over by the herd...drinking beer and cleaning airfilters. ;)

The following users thanked this post: IceCreamMan

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 01:23:00 pm »

In any case this bike is out of my league unless I win the Lotto... I would buy one just cos I can then. :biggrin:

I could see myself adding one to the stable in the future when it's depreciated in value heavily and any first model year bugs are rectified,
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it.  The felon does not fear the police, judge, nor jury.  The felon must be taught to fear his victim.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Actually its a Honda MT5
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 01:26:24 pm »

I could see myself adding one to the stable in the future when it's depreciated in value heavily and any first model year bugs are rectified,

Me too, i would be quite happy with one.

Pricing here is 15 000 pounds for the wire wheel model.  After a model or 2 and bugs ironed out i would be happy to buy a seond hand one for aroudn 10.

Born to lose, live to win!!

The following users thanked this post: RobC, big oil

Offline XRRX

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 01:28:37 pm »
I see the dust coming...
A herd of Harley riders on the R355, occupying most of the road through the Tankwa. Dust only to be surpassed by the the AfricaBurn trek. All in place, Captain, vice-capt, under vice-captain, etc. etc. Everybody else  in the organised formation completely covered with dust biggrin:
Tankwa Padstal completely taken over by the herd...drinking beer and cleaning airfilters. ;)
:spitcoffee: :lol8:

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 01:34:11 pm »
I see the dust coming...
:laughing4: :imaposer:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2021, 01:40:18 pm »

Me too, i would be quite happy with one.

Pricing here is 15 000 pounds for the wire wheel model.  After a model or 2 and bugs ironed out i would be happy to buy a seond hand one for aroudn 10.

Exactly.  :thumleft:

Appears the Special model is $19,995 on this side of da pond.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2021, 08:31:41 am »
I just watched the video again. 

The statement, "the Pan America is the first adventure touring motorbike made in the USA", seems like a kick in Erik Buell's balls.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Buell Ulysses was made in the USA?  Riders seemed to love the character the bike had.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 10:26:17 am »

The statement, "the Pan America is the first adventure touring motorbike made in the USA", seems like a kick in Erik Buell's balls.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Buell Ulysses was made in the USA?  Riders seemed to love the character the bike had.

I thought the same thing ...

i guess they just saying the ullyses was not really meant for adventure off road...

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 10:37:45 am »

I thought the same thing ...

i guess they just saying the ullyses was not really meant for adventure off road...

Could be. 

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 10:48:53 am »
Buell was always regarded as a modifier of Harleys by Harley, never a full blown manufacturer. :biggrin:

Good read...
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/before-the-pan-america-the-buell-ulysses-offered-harley-adventures/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:49:33 am by RobC »

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 11:16:24 am »
What HD should have built  :drif:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Mother

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 09:03:51 am »
here is more detailed specs on this bike if you can get past someone speaking at one tone

https://youtu.be/7ri6jNNu5cA
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2021, 02:39:49 pm »
Just saw one an sat on it. Very sweet bike. 16 grand here which is a lil high but I think itís going to sell well. Really well put together.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 02:41:05 pm »
The front is not as prominent as it appears

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2021, 09:49:15 am »
They do look best in that color. It seems to hide the weirdness best. Like vertical stripes on a fat lady

or is that horizontal lines?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...