Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why Do We Wear Peaked Helmets?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Blikkies1

Why Do We Wear Peaked Helmets?
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:28:00 pm »
I by default bought a peaked lid when I got my 990, everyone else uses them and I used them when riding offroad bikes. I have been battling with buffeting for years, I've changed screens and added defectors to no avail, it's so bad that I have constant neck pain due to my 'headshake'.
I washed my lid's sponges last night so used my laaitie's closed faced helmet this morning, what an absolute revelation, my head was like a hot knife cutting through butter, not an inkling of buffeting and also no wind noise, absolute pure bliss!
So why peaked helmets, surely sunnies can substitute the sun visor/peak, anything I'm missing here? If not, I'm off to Trac-Mac this week for a closed face helmet.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline daveh

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Why Do We Wear Peaked Helmets?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 09:31:32 pm »
I have only ever used a closed full face helmet with no peak, works for me. I have really enjoyed the built in sun visor as opposed to using sun glasses
AT

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 09:40:44 pm »
Depends on your riding

you will suffer with breathing and ventilation if you ride proper offroad route with a road helmet.
The peak is used for sun, roost and branch protection. Much cheaper to remove the peak for commuting and fit it when youíre planning an adv ride
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 10:25:31 pm »
We use peaked helmets for the same reason houses has had covered stoeps since the earliest times.

The following users thanked this post: BullSmit

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 11:15:58 pm »
Dusty visor
Setting sun directly ahead
Sun glasses don't hep with that glare

Only reason

Like all things 'dual sport' there is a compromise

So like those knobblies that the tar like to eat, we use these helmets on our regular commute/riding for the 95% of the time that it isn't ideal, only for that 5% when it makes sense

Having said that I must say I've tried a couple of peaked helmets and the only ones with peaks that cut through the wind and doesn't buffet or vibrate you into nausea has been Airoh

Still noisy though, so that be why the earplugs always go with

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 11:47:52 pm »
Couple of reasons:

1. Better breathing area in front of your mouth. Great for hot days on technical riding areas.
2. View area through the visor generally wider than a road helmet, allowing for far greater peripheral vision.
3. Peak casting a shadow over the dusty visor allows you to see through the dust on it.
4. When in low sun conditions, tilt your head to use the peak to eliminate the sun in your eyes.
5. Very easy to use goggles when riding with the wider open area when opening the visor.  Preferable when riding in very dusty conditions.
    I only use a clear visor and internal drop-down sun-visor, but carry a well tinted set of goggles for dusty conditions, and it really takes the strain off.
6. The dual helmet internal layers are easier to spool out and let dry, especially when doing a longer trip and you sweated like hell that day.

That all I can think of for now...
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 04:52:41 am »
I have been pondering over the same thing. I want to replace my helmet, but have no other reason than "I want to get a new helmet". I think I am going to look for a modular helmet (flip-up) to use that 90% of the time the off-road biased helmet is not needed. And keep the current helmet for when it is needed.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 06:20:15 am »
I have been pondering over the same thing. I want to replace my helmet, but have no other reason than "I want to get a new helmet". I think I am going to look for a modular helmet (flip-up) to use that 90% of the time the off-road biased helmet is not needed. And keep the current helmet for when it is needed.
You get some excellent modular flip-up adventure helmets. Scorpion and Caberg are two that I can recommend (had both) although the caberg allows slightly less peripheral vision.

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 07:57:51 am »
You get some excellent modular flip-up adventure helmets. Scorpion and Caberg are two that I can recommend (had both) although the caberg allows slightly less peripheral vision.

I have been looking at the Scorpion on a few sites. I see the peak is a bit smaller than the usual ADV helmet issued kit. How are the wind noise and buffeting on the Scorpion?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 07:58:03 am »
I have helmets with peaks and helmets without.

I find, especially on multi day trips, that I prefer the non peak helmet, as in flip face (System 7). It is plenty spacious inside, and there is the option of idling along with the face part "up".

This combined with a shorty screen, means absolutely no buffeting at all. Also, fairly quiet.

I found that by putting a strip or two of electric tape across the top of the visor, it is just as effective as a peak in terms of keeping the sun out your eyes.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

The following users thanked this post: Sabre

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:02:14 am »

I have been looking at the Scorpion on a few sites. I see the peak is a bit smaller than the usual ADV helmet issued kit. How are the wind noise and buffeting on the Scorpion?
The buffeting was initially so bad it blurred my vision, so I took the peak off. But this was on my GS/A, when I used it on my 500 there was no buffeting at all. I eventually set the GS/A screen a bit lower and I could ride with the peak without buffering. The scorpion's sun-visor also comes down lower than the caberg, almost touching my nose. The scorpion laso has much more breathing room in from of your mouth. Between the two I would recommend the scorpion.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:03:32 am by OomD »

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 08:03:17 am »

The buffeting was initially so bad is blurred my vision, so I took the peak off. But this was on my GS/A, when I used it on my 500 there was no buffeting at all. I eventually set the GS/A screen a bit lower and I could ride with the peak without buffering. The scorpion's sun-visor comes down lower than the caberg, almost touching my node. The scorpion laso has much more breathing room in from of your mouth. Between the two I would recommend the scorpion.

Thanks  :thumleft:

I'll see if I can go look at one over the weekend.

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 08:11:12 am »

Setting sun directly ahead
Sun glasses don't help with that glare

I removed the peak on mine to reduce buffeting, which was very effective.

The only time I miss the peak is when riding into the setting sun, especially in a forest with a prolonged strobe of shadow and blinding sun as you ride through the trees.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:12:24 am by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 08:20:37 am »
The peak helps A LOT with a dusty visor and low sun.

Try  a helmet where itís easily removable so you just stick the peak in a bag for a long highway section.

Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 08:24:19 am »
The peak helps A LOT with a dusty visor and low sun.

Try  a helmet where itís easily removable so you just stick the peak in a bag for a long highway section.

Or stick to the speed limit? :pot: :snorting:

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 08:48:48 am »
I found that by putting a strip or two of electric tape across the top of the visor, it is just as effective as a peak in terms of keeping the sun out your eyes.

Good old idea that!! :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok

Offline gmac

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 09:09:49 am »
you look like a Gee with a peaked helmet and a ninja turtle with road helmet. LMAO

Take the neck pain rather! LOL

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 09:25:25 am »

Everytime I see someone with a flip up helmet I cringe.

The problem I have with them is that its really convenient to just flip it up when its hot.. then you may as well just buy an open face helmet because IMO forgetting the flip up in the up position is the same as just riding with an open face helmet .

And we all know at least one guy who has fallen like that with tragic consequences.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:28:13 am by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: cocky

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 09:31:43 am »
Honestly, I cannot go more than 40km/h before I have to close my visor anyway. Plus these helmets have a normal visor so it functions just like a normal Adv helmet in all respects. If you are crawling along a single spoor or more technical terrain you have the extra feature of opening it up totally. I think it is a win win.