Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why Do We Wear Peaked Helmets?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never give up.
Re: Why Do We Wear Peaked Helmets?
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 12:45:33 pm »
So your teeth dont get wet when you are riding in the rain?  :imaposer:

I use a open face moto x helmet with goggles for technical rides, closed face when doing long distance touring.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 01:04:22 pm »
Anybody have any experience with Nolan helmets?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2021, 02:28:04 pm »
Peaks look uber cool on an adv bike.....  ;) :thumleft: :lol8:

Must say i can do 200km/h on the 990 without buffeting to note with a standard screen and I am 1.93m.... I used to ride with my HJC full face to work and back but the peek is just so much better i ALL aspects imo ... that piece of tape sh!te on top of visor does not work properly believe me.... ;D
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2021, 02:37:56 pm »
I'm 1.92m but have the adventure screen, won't ride without it as I once had a plank shoot up from the rear wheels of a car in front of me doing about 120km/h, it connected solidly with my screen, I would most likely have come off if it hit me squarely in the chest.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline gmac

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 09:26:39 pm »
One thing that may not have been mentioned is that flip-up helmets are also an excellent prophylactic.   100% effective.
100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2021, 07:59:03 am »
I use the Arai TX4, recently bought another. Iíve never experienced buffeting. Apart from the peak, ventilation on the DS helmet on a hot day while slow riding is far superior to any road helmet. I also like the option to use MX goggles on technical rides.

I have a road helmet for breakfast runs and tours with the wife, itís quieter (less wind noise on the microphone) which is great when using the Sena.

In the end itís a matter of choice. We use the BMW System 7 road helmets, very comfortable but hot and bulky. Iím looking at replacing them with the Shark Evo at some point.

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2021, 08:27:55 am »
Anybody have any experience with Nolan helmets?

No one?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2021, 10:59:46 am »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • Vrystaat ek wil deur gaan!!!
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2021, 01:17:38 pm »
So why peaked helmets,

I thought we wear them because they look cool
the Truth will offend at first

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Ruans

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2021, 02:46:27 pm »
Strange enough I prefer peaked helmets. Or should I say my peaked helmet.
When I bought my bike I got myself a Airoh Commander. I did get a bit of buffet on my 800GSA until I extended the screen a bit. Now it is very nice. It seems better with a peak than without.
Few weeks ago I lost one of my visor screws and was forced to use my old Arai road helmet and found it worse than the peaked Airoh.

I think it comes down to the aerodynamics of the helmet and materials used in the helmet.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2021, 06:02:38 pm »
Where's @BiG DoM, he's been using flip ups for a long time.   Schuberth E3 I think but they cost about 5 year's gross salary. Would like some input from him as I'm also looking at a flip up.

I do use a Schuberth E3 that is a great helmet - mail ordered from FC-Moto. I also have an Arai X3 and a Shoei Hornet - both excellent DS helmets as well. For me the advantage of the E3 is that it an adventure helmet with peak and visor and integrated sun shield (it was the only one with these features on the market when I bought and may still be). Schuberth are top helmets (they make most of the BMW ones) and I have no complaints almost two years later. One major reason why I like the E3 is because I wear glasses and it means I do not have to take them off and put them back on every time I take my helmet off - those that wear will know the frustration of this and how you put them on your seat and the wind blows them off etc... This type of helmet has improved a lot in recent years and I am happy with the safety specs etc. One thing I would though advise is do not ride with a flip helmet flipped up if you can help it.  Why? very simply  because it can unlatch and fall down if you go over a bump and block your vision so you are suddenly riding blind!! 
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline punisher

• Lolly LickerÖ i love to lick lollies
  • Grey hound
  • somph
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2021, 07:13:27 pm »
peaked helmets are far superior when headbutting yur opponent
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Health and Safetitty matters
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2021, 07:21:21 pm »
Sooooo many blow-up dolls were lost, that way............

The following users thanked this post: ETS, punisher

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2021, 08:10:16 pm »
Blikkies1 rides a 990 .................... if you're not from Austrian stock,  you will suffer buffeting. If you are from Austrian stock ............... you will also suffer from buffeting.

I cut the screen to stop the buffeting but ended up with a naked bike so still got the wind, although much much smoother.

I've since switched to a road helmet and it's much better ....................... like fucking mega better ...................  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dust is never a problem ...............
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2021, 08:27:19 pm »
Where's @BiG DoM, he's been using flip ups for a long time.   Schuberth E3 I think but they cost about 5 year's gross salary. Would like some input from him as I'm also looking at a flip up.

I do use a Schuberth E3 that is a great helmet - mail ordered from FC-Moto. I also have an Arai X3 and a Shoei Hornet - both excellent DS helmets as well. For me the advantage of the E3 is that it an adventure helmet with peak and visor and integrated sun shield (it was the only one with these features on the market when I bought and may still be). Schuberth are top helmets (they make most of the BMW ones) and I have no complaints almost two years later. One major reason why I like the E3 is because I wear glasses and it means I do not have to take them off and put them back on every time I take my helmet off - those that wear will know the frustration of this and how you put them on your seat and the wind blows them off etc... This type of helmet has improved a lot in recent years and I am happy with the safety specs etc. One thing I would though advise is do not ride with a flip helmet flipped up if you can help it.  Why? very simply  because it can unlatch and fall down if you go over a bump and block your vision so you are suddenly riding blind!!

Plus you look like the nose cargo door on a 747 freighter plane. Invitingly open to torre and muggies.

Offline punisher

• Lolly LickerÖ i love to lick lollies
  • Grey hound
  • somph
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 07:27:43 am »
Sooooo many blow-up dolls were lost, that way............

so so many  :'( :'(

:laughing4: :laughing4:
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2021, 09:55:53 am »
The exception to the rule regarding flip up helmets must the the Shark Evo range. Designed to be both a full face and open face helmet. The visor can close in both configurations the chin piece folds all the way back when open and cannot accidentally close.

This will be my next road helmet.

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • Vrystaat ek wil deur gaan!!!
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2021, 10:07:19 am »
I struggle with the idea of an open face helmet.

People look like traffic officers with them  >:D
the Truth will offend at first

Offline BuRP

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2021, 10:10:03 am »
The exception to the rule regarding flip up helmets must the the Shark Evo range. Designed to be both a full face and open face helmet. The visor can close in both configurations the chin piece folds all the way back when open and cannot accidentally close.

Have one, nice helmet.... but NOT for offroad, the mechanisms don't like any dust at all!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Online GeenSand

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2021, 10:13:14 am »

Have one, nice helmet.... but NOT for offroad, the mechanisms don't like any dust at all!
I've been using an shark evoline 3 for 4 years now on/off road no problems yet. Just needs some cleaning every now and then. Using compressed air to get all the dust out.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Take nothing but photos
Leave nothing but tracks
Kill nothing but time