Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF1000 DCT wheel lockup  (Read 11757 times)

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Re: CRF1000 DCT wheel lockup
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 12:19:09 pm »
Just a possible scenario.

He didn't maybe still have his ABS disabled because he rode gravel earlier and then maybe just maybe he has some kind of epileptic fit. My dad gets those and it would explain the scenario perfectly.

I'm under correction but you cant disable the ABS on the front, just the back.

Correct yes
If youth but knew...if age but could.

Henri Estienne

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 12:45:57 pm »
I had to remove the front mudguard so that I could ride further. Was a total mess and PITA in the thick mud and clay. Once mudguard is off, the break lines and speedo cable had to be fixed somewhere.

We attached it with cable ties to the forks (Very stupid idea).

Rode the bike out, hit a gravel highway and sped up. Luckily I slowed down for a little driffie, from about 90 km/h to 50-60 km/h. As soon as my front wheel entered the driffie and the suspension compressed, the cable ties snapped, the knobby grabbed the break lines and hey presto, I went over the handle bars into the gravel as the bike stopped dead in it's tracks.

Very bad idea to ride the bike without the front mud guard! :laughing4:

Luckily no permanent damage to the bike, and this fall caused me to go for a colonoscopy and gastroscopy, saving my life as the cancerous GIST was then detected, and subsequently removed. Riding a bike is essential for one's health!

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2021, 12:51:16 pm »
I had to remove the front mudguard so that I could ride further. Was a total mess and PITA in the thick mud and clay. Once mudguard is off, the break lines and speedo cable had to be fixed somewhere.

Rode the bike out, hit a gravel highway and sped up. Luckily I slowed down for a little driffie, from about 90 km/h to 50-60 km/h. As soon as my front wheel entered the driffie and the suspension compressed, the cable ties snapped, the knobby grabbed the break lines and hey presto, I went over the handle bars into the gravel as the bike stopped dead in it's tracks.

Luckily no permanent damage to the bike, and this fall caused me to go for a colonoscopy and gastroscopy, saving my life as the cancerous GIST was then detected, and subsequently removed. Riding a bike is essential for one's health!
Duidelik is bike ry nie net goed vir geestes-gesondheid nie. :thumleft:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2021, 12:52:28 pm »
(ABS)... it does not help brake performance for a most semi skilled riders!

That used to be the case, and me never having been a fan of this shite...... but this technology has made some drastic improvements of late!
The front-only ABS of any 7/890 is so good that there's no way one could improve on this 'by hand', it has saved my ass a few times already.
And, like wheelie-height settings of some bikes these days (!) one may expect rearwheel-height settings soon for those into stoppies  :P

Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Bappas

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 01:18:05 pm »

Been there done that !!! Not the colonoscopy Ha Ha
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline aswatas

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride it like u stole it!!!
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2021, 01:19:50 pm »
Honda has taken an interest in the matter now as well.
XRV 750
KTM990R
Moto Guzzi 850T3
Some old plastics

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2021, 02:22:27 pm »
Honda doing a bit of a face plant here.... excuse the pun.... :pot:  ;)
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2021, 02:30:17 pm »
This remind me of the curious incident of the bike journalist killed on the launch of the watercloset GS range, when something, no one knows up to date, on the bike gave way, or broke off, causing the rider

to be killed.

Here Honda is taking an interest, I remember in the case of the BMW, the crashed wreck was whisked away by BMW, never to be seen again.

Offline BullSmit

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Bullfrog
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2021, 02:31:33 pm »
Nee donder Gary!

Ek is net verheug dat jy ok is!!!!
I just get up every morning and go out. And I dont let the old man in, Clint Eastwood

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 02:42:37 pm »
This remind me of the curious incident of the bike journalist killed on the launch of the watercloset GS range, when something, no one knows up to date, on the bike gave way, or broke off, causing the rider

to be killed.

Here Honda is taking an interest, I remember in the case of the BMW, the crashed wreck was whisked away by BMW, never to be seen again.
Yes the bike was taken away, but as much as your dislike in BMW is it is disingenuous to assume that the something on the bike broke or gave way. In your own words, "no one knows up to date". One could speculate, of course, and I would expect as much from you, but stating it as fact shows your bias.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2021, 02:48:29 pm »

to be killed.

Yes the bike was taken away, but as much as your dislike in BMW is it is disingenuous to assume that the something on the bike broke or gave way. In your own words, "no one knows up to date". One could speculate, of course, and I would expect as much from you, but stating it as fact shows your bias.

Unc Dan hittng a nerve with oomD...  >:D At least the avatar is orange oomD so jy regte pad ampr .... this is a Honda thread, lets stick to eyeballing them today gents.... :lol8:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2021, 03:14:21 pm »
This is the only picture of the fall I could get so far, note where the skid mark starts, open straight road!!
What bothers me about this photo is that this is a very big fat skid mark for a front tyre?

Ja ek het nog nooit op enige bike van so iets gehoor nie. Papwiel en tyre miskien afgeklim?
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught
The left is full of people who have been educated far beyond their intelligence

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2021, 03:17:57 pm »

to be killed.

Daan die geloofwaardigste verduideliking van daai ongeluk is dat die ruiter sit en vroetel het aan die te veel knoppies op sy handlebars en pad verlaat het na links.Geen meganiese oorsaak kon gekry word.

Hy was nie en is ook nie die enigste en laaste ruiter ooit wat afgekyk het na knoppies of gps en pad verlaat het of dwars geklap deur n middelmannetjie.Dit gebeur gereeld ongelukkig. :(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2021, 03:35:56 pm »

to be killed.

Daan die geloofwaardigste verduideliking van daai ongeluk is dat die ruiter sit en vroetel het aan die te veel knoppies op sy handlebars en pad verlaat het na links.Geen meganiese oorsaak kon gekry word.

Hy was nie en is ook nie die enigste en laaste ruiter ooit wat afgekyk het na knoppies of gps en pad verlaat het of dwars geklap deur n middelmannetjie.Dit gebeur gereeld ongelukkig. :(

En dit gaan meer gebeur met al die stupid screens wat hulle deesdae install op die goed.
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear, BullSmit

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2021, 03:36:20 pm »

to be killed.

Unc Dan hittng a nerve with oomD...  >:D At least the avatar is orange oomD so jy regte pad ampr .... this is a Honda thread, lets stick to eyeballing them today gents.... :lol8:
Lol, no nerves struck at all. :thumleft: Dan just likes to get a stab in sideways whenever he can, ons moet daai oom met 'n valk oog dophou! :lol8:

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2021, 03:40:05 pm »

to be killed.

En dit gaan meer gebeur met al die stupid screens wat hulle deesdae install op die goed.
Ek val my moertoe deur net die revs te probeer sien op deesdae se tablets wat diens doen as n dash!! :( ;D
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2021, 04:15:36 pm »
I did a very similar thing on my GS12 some time back trying to point out a hill climb to Tony The Bony, didn't see the corner and went bush whacking. Managed to keep it all together until the speed was reduced and took it down a 3 foot embankment.

Must have been the bikes fault.  :imaposer:
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2021, 05:24:27 pm »

to be killed.

The smartphone has migrated to the dashboard, just look around you everyone has their nose stuck in one. Not what a bike is about.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

The following users thanked this post: Beserker

Offline Hando

• Formerly Hanno@MadMacs
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • http://dsadventure.wordpress.com/
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2021, 05:25:32 pm »
I have seen brakes lock up on bikes before.

And normally what transpired was the following.

Rider sees that the brake fluid in the container is a bit low and tops it up.

Some time later rider replaces the brake pads. In order to do this - the brake caliper pistons are pushed back because the new pads are nice and thick again.

Problem is that now the brake fluid reservoir is overfilled.

This causes the brakes to constantly be 'engaged' . As one rides like this - with the pads just braking ever so slightly due to excess pressure from the overfilled reservoir - the calipers start to heat up until eventually  the whole lot locks up.

I have also seen this due to riders riding with their feet just resting on the rear brake lever - causing the brakes to drag until they overheat and lock up. And I have also seen this where the (aftermarket) handguard does not allow the lever to fully release - causing it to drag until lock up.

The following users thanked this post: ROOI, Boerbok, BlueBull2007, Fuzzy Muzzy, Hingsding, Wolzak, DavidMorrisXp, Andrew_Smith

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2021, 05:27:13 pm »
I have seen brakes lock up on bikes before.

And normally what transpired was the following.

Rider sees that the brake fluid in the container is a bit low and tops it up.

Some time later rider replaces the brake pads. In order to do this - the brake caliper pistons are pushed back because the new pads are nice and thick again.

Problem is that now the brake fluid reservoir is overfilled.

This causes the brakes to constantly be 'engaged' . As one rides like this - with the pads just braking ever so slightly due to excess pressure from the overfilled reservoir - the calipers start to heat up until eventually  the whole lot locks up.

I have also seen this due to riders riding with their feet just resting on the rear brake lever - causing the brakes to drag until they overheat and lock up. And I have also seen this where the (aftermarket) handguard does not allow the lever to fully release - causing it to drag until lock up.

Some food for thought there Hanno