Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dr650 SE oil change issue  (Read 374 times)

Offline rowat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Fly on the wall
Dr650 SE oil change issue
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:29:17 am »
Hi folks, some info and advice needed please. I just completed a oil change on my dr for the first time. Drained oil well as far as I can tell, added a new filter filled with 2 liter oil and ran the engine for a minute and check the level. To my surprise it registers to the top line on the sight glass which meny on the web rekon is almost to full. My issue is that the manual states 2. 4 liters with the filter chane :o :o. The Dr has a oil cooler, is there a prosedure I am missing, does the rad have to be drained in some way? because right now 2*2 is not making 4.any suggestions will be appreciated.
On the outside looking in.

Offline TheHamster

• Formerly neil-ph
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
Re: Dr650 SE oil change issue
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:34:40 am »
I recently did the NSU fix on my DR, and replaced oil filters and gave a service at the same time.

When I put everything back together it took 2.3 litres.

Sent from my vivo 1820 using Tapatalk

Never hesitate to take that ride. Ride safe, ride often and ride far. The soul demands it.

All men die, but not all men live......

The following users thanked this post: rowat

Offline P.K.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 03:53:03 pm »
I have never been able to put more than 2l in despite the 2.3l on the engine casing and doing my utmost to drain the bike.
NOMAD BIKE BAGS
https://nomadbikebags.co.za

Offline rowat

• Pack Dog
  • Fly on the wall
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 11:02:09 am »
Thanks for the input so far guys. PK jes, on some oz sites there are guys that have the same issue. I was hoping somebody could resolve it. Like Le Cap mabe :sip:

Offline TheHamster

• Formerly neil-ph
  • Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 11:59:48 am »
I joined a DR 650 forum, with guys from around the world. Here is a recent post about an oil change.....

Never hesitate to take that ride. Ride safe, ride often and ride far. The soul demands it.

Offline rowat

• Pack Dog
  • Fly on the wall
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 05:26:27 pm »
Mmm. There's the rub, manual says 2.3 and the guys are getting in 2 liters or less with filter.that means +-400 ml oid oil is staying behind. Surely the motor design should allow a full drain, I cannot take engine casings off for a oil change. My feeling is that there a prosedure to follow but it is not described in the manual. That is what makes me wonder about the oil cooler.?

Offline TheHamster

• Formerly neil-ph
  • Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 06:00:56 pm »
I've been reading as much as I can...... Seems to be a common discussion, and most guys only put in 2 litres.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 12:22:04 pm »
Thanks for the input so far guys. PK jes, on some oz sites there are guys that have the same issue. I was hoping somebody could resolve it. Like Le Cap mabe :sip:
Never saw this:
If you drain the oil with the bike standing upright on a paddock stand and replace the oil filter you will get 2.2l in.
I think the 2300ml figure as shown on the engine next to the filler cap or any figure in the service manual is a "safe amount". It will neither be too litte after a rebuild nor will it be way overfilled even if you don't replace ther oil filter.
At the end of the day I see teh given quantity more as a guideline to tell you how much oil you have to buy. You fill according to the oil window.
The oil cooler is self draining.
Do not let the bike idle on the side stand and then drain the oil leaving the bike on the side stand as this wil keep some oil trapped on the left side of the cylinder head.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline rowat

• Pack Dog
  • Fly on the wall
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 09:46:30 am »
Never saw this:
If you drain the oil with the bike standing upright on a paddock stand and replace the oil filter you will get 2.2l in.
I think the 2300ml figure as shown on the engine next to the filler cap or any figure in the service manual is a "safe amount". It will neither be too litte after a rebuild nor will it be way overfilled even if you don't replace ther oil filter.
At the end of the day I see teh given quantity more as a guideline to tell you how much oil you have to buy. You fill according to the oil window.
The oil cooler is self draining.
Do not let the bike idle on the side stand and then drain the oil leaving the bike on the side stand as this wil keep some oil trapped on the left side of the cylinder head.
Thanks le cap, I will certainly be more carfull off getting it straight up next service although I do recall doing just that last time