KTM lofsang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtWarp

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
"If you are looking for the engine profile that Honda copied in 2021, then this is it."

2021-KTM-450SXF15_e-scaled.jpg

Reading how some bitch and moan about KTM's failures, I thought I'd share just how much more advanced their bikes actually are.

Allow me to summarize:
[list type=decimal]
[*]lightest: 15 pounds lighter than the YZ450F and 18 pounds lighter than the RM-Z450
[*]strongest brakes: The “Big Four” Japanese brands have been throwing on 270mm rotors, new brake pads and calipers to try to keep KTM’s Brembo brakes in sight. They are still behind the curve
[*]most reliable clutch:  From its CNC-machined steel basket (with the primary gear machined into the basket) to its Belleville washer (instead of six separate coil springs) to its rubber-suspended cush inner hub to its self-adjusting Brembo hydraulics, no clutch on the track can take the kind of abuse that KTM’s can. This is the dream clutch of every clutch abuser in America
[*]braided-steel brake lines
[*]Pankl transmission: No other motocross brand offers a transmission built by a Formula 1 gearbox supplier. The metallurgy is a step above what other brands offer
[*]Connecting rod. also made by Pankl
[*]Electric starting. KTM has had electric starting on the 450SXF since 2007. You might be thinking, “So what? Almost every other 450 has electric starting also?” Yes, they do, but KTM knows how to do it without adding 5 pounds of extra weight.
[*]look no further than Dakar to see how reliable these motors are. And if you think the 450RR has a different motor, look at the breakdown I did earlier, where I listed all the similarities
[/list]

The list goes on, go read for yourself
source: https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-race-test-the-real-test-of-the-2021-ktm-450sxf/