Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Chrome Restoration?  (Read 880 times)

Offline Blikkies1

Re: Chrome Restoration?
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2021, 10:10:43 am »
Think I'm becoming obsessed with this process, as soon as I see the slightest improvement with a new method, I start everything over.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline v0lstruis

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2021, 10:48:43 am »
Looks great !!!!

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2021, 11:16:38 am »
Looking good  :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

Offline MegaPix

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2021, 11:47:01 am »
Good luck
Kobus Schoeman
www.ksphoto.co.za
Highveld, CENTURION 
Bike:  First ever - Big Boy 200  XTG, KLR 650, latest buy... Suzuki DL650 V Strom ***SOLD***

Offline Sabre

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2021, 07:34:57 pm »
Think I'm becoming obsessed with this process, as soon as I see the slightest improvement with a new method, I start everything over.
And, pray tell, what is the latest method ?
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Online MuttsNutts

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse Adve
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 07:54:38 pm »
Blikkies that looks amazing, where did you get Alusol? I looked online now and there doesnt seem to be anyone stocking it locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2021, 08:29:57 pm »
I'll be applying this method on the rest of the applicable bike bits - steel and uluminium but not chrome. Lightly buff surface with a sanding wheel in a drill to remove the corrosion and smooth out pitting, follow up with hand applied 1000 grit sandpaper and then 1200 grit in a single direction(not circles) to remove the sanding wheel marks, smooth out any residue with fine steelwool, this still leaves the surface dull, I wipe on Autosol and then shine it up with a cloth buffing wheel in a drill, the wheel is like 15 slices of denim stuck together and I got it at Builder's, Autosol from Midas. Lots of work but well worth the effort.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Online MuttsNutts

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse Adve
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 08:45:21 pm »
I'll be applying this method on the rest of the applicable bike bits - steel and uluminium but not chrome. Lightly buff surface with a sanding wheel in a drill to remove the corrosion and smooth out pitting, follow up with hand applied 1000 grit sandpaper and then 1200 grit in a single direction(not circles) to remove the sanding wheel marks, smooth out any residue with fine steelwool, this still leaves the surface dull, I wipe on Autosol and then shine it up with a cloth buffing wheel in a drill, the wheel is like 15 slices of denim stuck together and I got it at Builder's, Autosol from Midas. Lots of work but well worth the effort.
Legend thank you Sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 08:57:17 pm »
Autolsol + Elbow Grease  :thumleft: (you can also use a Scotchbrite pad gently with the Autosol on the more serious parts).

PS. MEGUIAR'S NXT ALL METAL POLISH is also amazing shite.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: