Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ride to explore East Java Indonesia 9 March 2021  (Read 379 times)

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Ride to explore East Java Indonesia 9 March 2021
« on: March 17, 2021, 05:14:09 am »
Project is slowly winding down here and I needed to go say goodbye to my team in a city called Surabaya. Its Indonesia second largest city and their industrial base. We have a warehouse there as well as in Semarang and I travelled between both regularly (at least till Covid slowed things down). Have not ridden there and although I have done a few trips to surrounding areas I didn't get to do it on a bike. Till now. Decided to ride there so I could say goodbye and then make a trip of the ride back to see more of East Java. This is some of the ride that I want to share with you. My ride as always is my modified Yamaha 155 Aerox. Dont need more power or speed in Asia. Topbox, tank bag and clothes under seat in cubby hole and good to go. Fitted extra LED for any night ride or mist which would come in handy this trip as I would find later.

Plan

9 March 2021: ride direct from Semarang (Central Java) to Surabaya (East Java) on the coastal road. Not much to report on that other than some rough roads because of damage from recent floods, hectic traffic entering the city and some parts of the road running next to the sea. For those that don't know, no motorcycles are allowed on the toll roads so no choice but to take the alternative routes. Planned route below as well as actual route from Rever.

10 March 2021: Office

11 March 2021: Public holiday so ride to Batu

12 March 2021: Office and farewell

13 - 14 March 2021: Long way back to Semarang

Im busy reducing the images and will upload shortly for the rest of the trip
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:36:50 am by tifua »
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
Re: Ride to explore East Java Indonesia 9 March 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 06:14:52 am »
Subscribed
hak vrystaat

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 06:26:45 am »
11 March 2021: Public holiday and I wanted to ride to Batu and explore mountains roads there as well as meet an old friend that I first ate Soto Ayam at back in 2017 on another trip. Had planned to go back someday and eat there if he was still going so that was the lunch plan. First hour was basic main road till I could start to head off into the mountains. Scenery is so beautiful and a public holiday is great time to be out as evident by 1000's of bikes 1, 2,3 up heading to the mountains to all the attractions. Indonesian love the outdoors and every family owns multiple bikes so any free time is used to explore and travel. I found the shop again, we had a catch up and I ate a big portion of Soto Ayam (sort of thick flavored chicken soup). Two bowls and a water for the sum of R25. Headed back out to start my ride back to Surabaya taking a different scenic route back and on the way got caught in heavy rain. Visibility was limited and roads were covered in water and mud run off from hills but no choice but to push on. Always carry raincoat and water is warm so riding is possible however my phone got water in it and it died. You will see two separate Rever ride records...this is because I had to switch to backup phone I carry so first part of ride till phone died is recorded as part 1 and second part is with the other phone. Pulled into Surabaya, parked bike, had shower and took grab taxi (local Uber using bikes and cars) to a mall called Marina Plaza that is only for buying mobile phones and repairs. Cost to strip phone, clean, replace the broken charging port (it got wet and shorted out / burnt out before I could get it off cradle into the bag) was R500. Repairs done immediately. They didnt have the exact part (SA Samsgung slightly different part to the local variant) but ordered from another shop in town it and was delivered hour later so while I had dinner in the food court, my phone was fixed. Got back to hotel and got ready for office next day while planning my weekend ride back to Semarang taking a long route back.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:27:59 am by tifua »
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 06:32:18 am »
11 March 2021 ride to Batu continued

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 06:38:58 am »
11 March 2021 Ride to Batu continued

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 06:55:20 am »
Very nice RR and photos, thanks for sharing with us  :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 07:09:25 am »
13 March 2021: Plan was to ride to Bromo. This is on every Indonesians bucket list of places to ride. Giant volcanic crater with a ring of off-road tracks in a giant ring around the crater. If you want to see google view of it look here...its incredible. https://www.google.com/maps/@-7.9655557,112.9669418,3a,75y,271.1h,98.37t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPPChW6uCNCuQT8kaOwLgG_0EzuYoVcCTJt4D8_!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPPChW6uCNCuQT8kaOwLgG_0EzuYoVcCTJt4D8_%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya0-ro-0-fo100!7i6000!8i2218

Made my way there using main roads until I turned off and headed higher and higher into the hills. Roads are stunning and so many sweeping curves (its like Sabi) and I made good progress until I got to a checkpoint. Turns out there that Bromo was closed because of a Hindu ceremony (day of silence) so they could not let me any further. I asked politely and eventually they said I could go a little further until the next checkpoint where you would normally present tickets. I road on and ever more upwards through small towns filled with old school FJ40 SWB Landcruisers that are well known here and are used to take tourists into Bromo. Got to the next gate and no matter how hard I tried, they could not allow any further. The entire park was closing down at 3pm, you had to have booked online before arriving and needed the covid health clearance certificate which I didn't have. It was no go but they were so apologetic as if it was personally their fault they could not let me through. I told them I would need to find another way around back to the main road and unto my destination for the night and they showed me a route to follow the hugs the edge of the mountain so I get views and beautiful roads. It was worth it and I am so grateful because I think it was a lucky detour. I will go back to Bromo someday but better prepared. I followed mountain tracks and paths, roads and tracks, dirt roads and rice paddy access paths. Eventually coming down, grabbing quick snack then hauling ass to make my hotel for the night. I would be staying in the city of Tulungagung which is famous for its Onyx. I got the last room as it turns out because there was some big government event in town as well as the local Pajero owners chapter. I guess all the Pajeros could relax from having to recover the Landcruisers as Bromo was closed  :pot:

Got some dinner and then walked around the city for 2 hours to see the local street life. In the pics you will see the bike carriers. I passed 4 at that one traffic light and they are always going up and down. I heard that 16 million new bikes a year sold in Indonesia. Not even counting used bikes. Gives you idea of scale of the biking communities.

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 07:12:15 am »
13 March 2021 continued

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 07:15:03 am »
13 March 2021 - continued

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 07:17:18 am »
13 March 2021 continued

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 08:02:34 am »
14 March 2021 - Ride from Tulungagung to Semarang. Woke up, packed and then headed off towards home. There were mountain lakes I wanted to check out linked by a road that promised sweeping curves and breathtaking views. It didnt disappoint. Progress was good, the first dam came into view soon and I decided to follow the mountain road around the edge of the dam through small villages before turning onto the road I was looking for. Second lake was beautiful but just before I arrived my front brakes gave out. I always carry spare so R5 charge for local shop to quickly fit them and 10 min later I am back on the road. Right in the middle of some mountains is this lake. Was not very big but a lot of activity and obviously popular with travelers. From here it was onto Mt. Lawu mountain pass which is very popular with bikers here. Its sort of Sabi meets Hartees for breakfast runs and about 30 minutes out I could already see it was full of bikes. Didn't get many pics of the bikes as weather was setting in but managed to get on helmet cam that I will put onto YouTube later  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCShbvqyVEQL3lTvNDb6fPbQ/videos so you can see. I don't think there was less than 10,000 bikes on that pass. Big groups riding, others gathered at the 100s of roadside coffee shops. It staggers belief how many bikes so many custom jobs.  On way down hill I got caught in another heavy downpour so spent next hour dodging traffic and heading onto main road back to Semarang. Passed by Mt. Merapi, the volcano in the news at moment with some small eruptions.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:06:57 am by tifua »

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:05:33 am »
14 March 2021 continued

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 08:08:49 am »
14 March 2021 continued

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 08:11:04 am »
Last of the pics

Offline maverick64

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:50 am »
 Not the average that we're used to, a very interesting RR
Thank you for another viewpoint.. :3some:
Jan Ras                             1N73LL1G3NC3  15  7H3   4B1L17Y  70  4D4P7  70  CH4NG3.    -    573PH3N  H4WK1NG

MB50  XR200  DL650  F800GS  R1200GS

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 10:30:46 am »
I have become a big believer in how tough these scooters are. I have seen them 4 up going off-road in the most horrible places and given the volume they sell the R&D that it must generate makes them ultra reliable, cheap to maintain and easy to repair. Common parts also helps. I recently got caught in the floods in Karawang and after pushing in water for about km, some local kids helped me to push the last km worried I would lose the road  in the water and go off the edge into the fields and lose the bike. Never like the idea of drowning a bike but here it was common to see people pushing bikes through floods as long as the motor is off. When we were on dry land, the turned it slightly onto its side, let it stand 5 minutes and then started and let it run for 5 min. Good to go and I continued another 400km. Next morning took to Yamaha to get all liquids drained and replaced. Yamaha told me that no water in engine, some water in the drive area and they replaced the airfilter. No need to replace the engine oil... dealers here wont spend your money unless needed. Its the mentality here not to rip each other off. I told them to replace the oil anyway as a precaution so full service, replace water in cooling system and  replace the CVT belt.... all in was R350.00. Good to go and already 2500km since then without any problems. Just got her back from bike wash to clean off the last few days dirt
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:36:44 am by tifua »

Offline tifua

• Race Dog
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 04:09:30 am »
For those want to see a snapshot of the size of Indonesian bike market, look at this video. Shows Sunday breakfast ride of Indonesian to popular mountain pass on Mt. Lawu

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 09:58:10 am »
nice one, i cant help but wonder if the influx of delivery bikes we see here in jhb might eventually result in the bike culture as ypu see in East Asia? everh taxi boss's worst nightmare
950SE     KTM 500 EXC      KTM250 XCW

Offline Mountain Goat

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 08:03:50 pm »

Amazing all the bikes on the roads
Sjoe and the driving culture is totally different!!!

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 02:19:21 pm »
Really interesting. Thanks for sharing :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!