How to have more Adventures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Over the last 2 years I've done some really fun 1-3 day rides through Tankwa, Overberg, into the Karoo and Klein Karoo. Usually the more dirt miles the better, although the odd black top breakfast cruise is also good.

I've had a few close calls and a few tumbles, suffered a little getting our bikes up a loose, rocky trail, we've stayed at self catering guest houses a few times, "wild camped" (albeit on my cousins's farm) twice and camped at designated places often. I've done some long (8hr+) days in the saddle, ridden solo and with mates, opted for the less travelled roads and trails where I could find them and braai'd on Ouberg Pass. Surprisingly I have not made coffee on the side of the road yet - soon to be rectified.

I've had my bike driven out on the back of a bakkie (slightly unnecessarily we found out) for repairs (blessed that my riding partner is a mechanical maestro) the following day, before heading home again. We've had punctures, I've lost my little braai grid and a gps, but haven't gotten lost yet myself.

So my burning question is - how does one have more adventures on 1-3, and the odd 4 day rides?

I realise that a day trip on some gravel road with a coffee shop stop on the way might be an adventure to some, but thats not what I am referring to.
And time and financial constraints are unfortunately realities to be taken into account, thus a 10day trip to and through Lesotho or similar will at best happen every 2nd year

So whats the answer?
Tougher routes - where would that be within 2 days of CT?
Better planning ito routes (pretty good with that already)?
Less planning, more exploring, at the risk of bypassing the best routes?

Laat weet bietjie wat vir julle werk, deel n paar roetes die kant of hoeookal

Ek luister op die draadloos  :)