Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Getting involved in cross country bike rally is crazy! Doing it myself...  (Read 774 times)

Offline UggieB

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • If I kill all my daemons, my angles might die too!
    • My own rally navigation project
I am starting with rally riding, navigation, equipment, the works. But I find it super difficult to get sensible information apart from befriending guys in the industry and feeding of them.

Now as part of my own experience, and being a typical technology disruptor, I have decided to simplify rally and its equipment. My first project is to make a navigation tower more accessible and affordable.

"
"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:53:49 am by Kamanya »

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
Re: My mission to make cross country affordable and easier to start!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:30:53 pm »
Naand Eugene.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline UggieB

Re: My mission to make cross country affordable and easier to start!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 04:49:18 pm »
Hi daar

Offline saklx650c

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • the wheels turn - nobody home
I am starting with rally riding, navigation, equipment, the works. But I find it super difficult to get sensible information apart from befriending guys in the industry and feeding of them.

Now as part of my own experience, and being a typical technology disruptor, I have decided to simplify rally and its equipment. My first project is to make a navigation tower more accessible and affordable.

"
"

Whilist working on your tower, you could possibly think about why the basic ICO's cost so much and how the price could be reduced.  Lets be honest they literally are a bicycle computer with a pick up on the wheel and a couple of buttons to adjust the distance as and when required.  You can by a cellphone with a whole lot more of technology inside for a whole lot less.  Maybe I don't understand them properly.  Good work on making Rally more affordable. :thumleft:
kl X not R - sold
Husqvarna te610

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve

"
"

Whilist working on your tower, you could possibly think about why the basic ICO's cost so much and how the price could be reduced.  Lets be honest they literally are a bicycle computer with a pick up on the wheel and a couple of buttons to adjust the distance as and when required.  You can by a cellphone with a whole lot more of technology inside for a whole lot less.  Maybe I don't understand them properly.  Good work on making Rally more affordable. :thumleft:

How much is that "RR" screen from KTM?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Very nice start! Please keep it coming, I am following with great interest.

Youre going to have to make more pieces to bolt on things like the ERTF & sentinel if they ever get around to running these in a southern african rally.

A good comment by Saklx - The ICO is smart enough to adjust to adjustments made to it, so its more than just a revolution counter. That being said its way overpried like most htings rally unfortunately a result of the teeny tiny market.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone

"
"

The reasons those little boxes are so expensive;

Almost all ICO's now work off GPS and not the front wheel. This makes them super reliable, accurate and one less thing to break. But, for the developer of the software/hardware that has to develop and integrate all this into those little boxes costs huge time and money. I was personally involved with @Weedkiller - Adie 's development of his ICO. It took many iterations and long late nights to get his prototypes good enough to race. In the end his excellent ICO's got me 9th on a rally, but sadly, Amageza died and with it all that effort.

The total global market for ICO's per year would be less than 500 units. (I think realistically it would be less than 100, but for the sake of the exercise...) The cost to make such limited numbers is what makes them expensive.

But get hold of Ardie and who knows, it might live again. Here they are on my bike

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:21:34 am by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline UggieB

"
"

Hi, do you mean just the screen itself or the while Rally tower I built?

Sent from my A5_Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

Hi All

1.  A Rally Tripmeter Instrument are WAAYYY more complex than a Bicycle Tripmeter even if only connected to the front wheel.  This is the easy one.

2. ICO is a tradename like Hoover.  The CAP  heading indicator is a TOTALLY different animal.  It indicate lots more and NEEDs a GPS to do the CAP heading.  (I included our manual just for info The pages are sorted for printing purposes)

3. Roadbook.  Traditionally this is a paper roll but even Dakar org are looking at digital options.  There are a few digital options in the world but either moesse expensive or for propriety.

To do a 'Roadbook rally' (not GPS only)  you need all three items.

Alexander and I developed a full electronic unit as well  that will run on any Android device. Very cost effective but must be arranged with the orga.  Here ONE unit do the function of all three above. (And yes, the purist would say 'What if it break' Bla Bla Bla......  This untit require a PDF of the roadbook and that is it, Cheap and effective.

We still have Rockfox roadbooks available (I think about 8) and can build TRIP-CAP s on request.  Our Trip Cap is unique in the sense that it the same unit can be used as Trip OR CAP - The only in the world with that feature.  In fact I just designed a new even slimmer Trip-Cap just before Alexander passed away. 

BlikSEM  Kamanja, that is stil V1, We are at V4 already.  Remember the first one did not even make it round the block here at the smallholdings.  :'(

Feel free to contact me on 079-524 3884 for any Rally related items.  I might still have mini roadbook holders etc available.

Adie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC77nA7ja6Dy3rHr-0hITziQ/videos

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve

"
"

Sorry, I meant just the screen itself.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:13:38 pm by 2StrokeDan »

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone

BlikSEM  Kamanja, that is stil V1, We are at V4 already.  Remember the first one did not even make it round the block here at the smallholdings.  :'(

@Weedkiller - Adie Nope, this was the original prototype :biggrin:

Sorry for the hijack :biggrin:
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

Fokkit, ek wil nou sommer huil.  :-[

We came a long way since then and the product never failed'  :pot:

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline XT JOE

"
"

Sorry, I meant just the screen itself.
And brackets and lights, stunning work Eugene
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline XT JOE

Hi All

1.  A Rally Tripmeter Instrument are WAAYYY more complex than a Bicycle Tripmeter even if only connected to the front wheel.  This is the easy one.

2. ICO is a tradename like Hoover.  The CAP  heading indicator is a TOTALLY different animal.  It indicate lots more and NEEDs a GPS to do the CAP heading.  (I included our manual just for info The pages are sorted for printing purposes)

3. Roadbook.  Traditionally this is a paper roll but even Dakar org are looking at digital options.  There are a few digital options in the world but either moesse expensive or for propriety.

To do a 'Roadbook rally' (not GPS only)  you need all three items.

Alexander and I developed a full electronic unit as well  that will run on any Android device. Very cost effective but must be arranged with the orga.  Here ONE unit do the function of all three above. (And yes, the purist would say 'What if it break' Bla Bla Bla......  This untit require a PDF of the roadbook and that is it, Cheap and effective.

We still have Rockfox roadbooks available (I think about 8) and can build TRIP-CAP s on request.  Our Trip Cap is unique in the sense that it the same unit can be used as Trip OR CAP - The only in the world with that feature.  In fact I just designed a new even slimmer Trip-Cap just before Alexander passed away. 

Feel free to contact me on 079-524 3884 for any Rally related items.  I might still have mini roadbook holders etc available.

Adie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC77nA7ja6Dy3rHr-0hITziQ/videos
Enjoy this and and it makes sense to replace the  big roadbook holder with paper roll etc  with a tablet with correct program s loaded which can have multi  uses and easier control. Lots of the european rally's  you see this and a GPS on bikes
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel