Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wanted: KLR or Dakar - which would you choose?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
Wanted: KLR or Dakar - which would you choose?
« on: March 24, 2021, 08:06:14 pm »
Hello woefies

Lurking in the shadows long time now waiting and saving and waiting and saving and finally in the market for a decent re-entry adventure bike.

Honesty - budget for bike R35k and R5k for immediate gear (helmets x 2 adult and 1 x child)

So this leads me to limited albeit reasonable choices: 2008-2011 KLR and 2002-2006 Dakar all with similar mileage varying from 25k to 80k. Some with extras and some with none but most importantly paperwork in order.

Purpose is a daily to travel around 80-100km pd which could be town and some highway or some town and mostly highway and then the occasional weekend get the "F out of Town". I travel from Randburg to Denver almost everyday... So time in traffic for me is a killer and if I can save a few rand in fuel then that's a cherry bonus! For context my current daily is a 2005 D3 V8 with >305k on the clock

So in short if I can have some real input and advise from owners that have had the luxury of both for some constructive criticism and input please.

Many thanks
Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline blockheadxl650v

Re: Wanted: KLR or Dakar - which would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:23:26 pm »
Dakar. No brainer. Can do way over 100k on the clock and you get 25 -30 km per lt if commuting in traffic. Mine has over 99k and no issues other than the water pump shaft and one coil dying all other issues have been inflicted by the owner.

Sent from my SM-A260F using

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:28:38 pm by blockheadxl650v »

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:07 pm »
Dakar.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:31:53 pm »
Owned 2 x KLR's and still kick my bud for letting the second one go.
However,  the GS/Dakar is a better bike in the long run.
Me personally will go KLR just because it has got that something I like.

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 08:36:57 pm »
Thanks gents! This is proving very helpful indeed.

Now to get a Dakar near Jhb for the budgeted price. This pickles me though...why are all the kitted bikes in the Cape or Free State and the Gauteng versions with more Miles and less goodies are more expensive? Goes for most adventure bikes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 08:54:53 pm »
We in the Cape don't like to work so hard an there are so many back/dirt roards to ride on our door step.

Sent from my SM-A260F using Tapatalk

Offline NearlyThere

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:57:51 pm »
I have next to no experience with the Kawa but have owned a F650GS for some time.

Just looking at specs of your two options, the Dak is more powerful at the same weight so is a livelier ride and I would guess delivers better fuel consumption.

Some BMW 650 owners live a charmed life, their bikes never give a day's trouble. But this isn't a universal experience. That said, the issues are well known and documented.

If I had to buy another BMW 650, I would look for a well maintained, high miler. These are generally pretty cheap - well within your price range - because everyone's scared of high mileage but if you find the right owner and service history, mileage shouldn't be an issue. And you have the advantage of a machine that's more than likely had any issues addressed and sorted out.

I still want to own a Suzuki 650 V-Strom as I believe it's a better road bike than the BMW or the Kawa, and has adequate off-road ability for my requirements.I'm not sure if it's worth adding this bike to your selection.

I don't know how it's been since you last rode a bike, but if it's been a while I would do some recreational rides to get my 'bike eyes' back before I tackled the daily commute...

Your fuel bill is going to be a fraction of what it used to be. Good luck with the purchase and welcome back to the fold!
2007 BMW F650GS
2015 Honda PCX150

Offline NearlyThere

• Pack Dog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 09:01:02 pm »
Now to get a Dakar near Jhb for the budgeted price. This pickles me though...why are all the kitted bikes in the Cape or Free State and the Gauteng versions with more Miles and less goodies are more expensive? Goes for most adventure bikes...

Ja, the best bike is always somewhere else. I bought mine sight unseen from a farmer two provinces away. And don't forget you can always ask members to check out a bike for you... It costs around 2.5 to R3k to get a bike from one side of the country to the other.

2007 BMW F650GS
2015 Honda PCX150

Offline Dux

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 09:30:12 pm »
I work on them , the newer ( later than 08 ) KLR is the better bike , the GS is reliable but then so is the KLR , lots of noise made about the doohickey but generally blown out of proportion . I am however starting to come across more and more GS’s with things like dashboard failure , last one more than R10k for replacement , speedo sensor cable about R2500 , and a few with lunched valves . Having said that they are reliable but they are getting old and more and more issues are surfacing .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Roxtar

Offline Oubones

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 09:34:45 pm »
I have had both and for your use Dakar!
If you get one far away, fly there and ride it back! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 09:51:58 pm »
NearlyThere your area adding an interesting mix. The Skuzi does look the prettiest if the lot in that class and size!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline weskusklong

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Happiness comes from inside.
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 09:52:56 pm »
I have had both and for your use Dakar!
If you get one far away, fly there and ride it back! :thumleft:
Agree with Oubones,had two Klr's,not in the same league as the Dakar.
I constantly get 27.5km/l town riding,and you do not have to worry about oil burning when you go over 5000 revs,you can do 130 all day long.

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 09:59:07 pm »
Dux you're right and this is the one thing probably that is swaying me to the Kawa more - raw actual cost of ownership. But having said that, both bikes seem to have well documented issues and as always it comes down to what's left in the pocket to keep them running safe and smooth.

Only thing is my daughter (10) days the Dakar just looks prettiest because of the ones I've shown her.

We were supposed to look at alow mileage Dakar on Monday but the guy dropped us - do you know the sound of a 10-year old that was planning her day on going to view a bike with her dad...and then doesn't

Yip she will get a lift every morning and probably every afternoon from school - once I'm confident and comfortable again on 2-wheels! Luckily she is less than 2km from home but I suspect weekend "dad time on the bike" will have to wait till the novelty wears off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SvR

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 06:18:50 am »
I have owned both.
Rode the South Island of NZ flat on a Fully and had a C model KLR here in SA, which a tool in a cage wrote off.
Had BOTHBTHE Beemer.

As Adventurer said to me if he had to write a review on the Beemer it would be neutral, and I agree.
I know the die hard Dakar and 650 Beemer fans are going to get their knickers in a knot but although they are extremely capable bikes they are bland. I sold them within months.

Both the KLR's I owned made me smile as soon as I pushed the starter button.
Basic, do everything bikes, again, not perfect but I loved them. If I had the funds and the health the KLR in the Eastern Cape would be on its way here.

Disclaimer: these are MY thoughts so if anybody else disagrees I accept that.  :3some: :peepwall:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 07:09:46 am »
This is really a discussion thread for General Bike Banter.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Ragbert

• Pack Dog
  • It's never to late!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 07:31:12 am »
I have a Dakar and did about 77k km on it since 2016 (edit) till July 2019, daily commute of 80 odd km's. ABS  and heated grips is the two things that stands out.
Issues had over that time other than normal services:
1) Rear shock leaked and was serviced
2) Dash lightbulbs had to be replaced
3) Clutch cable failed twice in traffic, partly myself to blame, not checking and replacing before failure.

I have 2 x Fyglies and a KLE500 in the garage ( my son bikes).

When the carb gives you trouble it can take some time to get sorted. They have similar maintenance to the F650GS. The rear swingarm maintenance on the Fugly is a must at 20k km intervals.
Fuel consumption, F650GS 27km/l, Fugly 23km/l.

If you way more than 80kg the Fugly will sag, two up even more. The subframe bolt upgrade would be highly recommended as they can snap and leave your bike stranded.

For me the F650GS Dakar works and the ABS and heated grips are the key differentiators.

Both will do, the Dakar just slightly better.......and that is only my opinion.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:27:41 am by Ragbert »
BMW F650GS Dakar '03

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 08:55:03 am »
The old shape KLR is a better bike than the Dakar or the 08+ KLR. Even without crashbars, it breaks less of the expensive stuff when you fall. It handles single track better, is much easier to work on and fix. Mine is on 230 000km, but I did upgrade the piston to a 685 when the bike had 80K km on.

I'm actually planning on doing a 2-3 week, 5-6000 km trip on it in the near future.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

The following users thanked this post: RobC, SvR

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 09:26:13 am »
Dakar and if your going to do a longish commute you will love the best bike seat I have ever sat on. :deal:
Just ask Bobnob what service he got out of his Dakar and I believe that bike now belongs to BlackHawk's roommate and still going strong at 130 000+ kms. :thumleft:

The reason most best buy's is far away from you is so that you can do a lekke long trip back home after you bought it. ;) :thumleft: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 09:51:27 am »
I have a generation 1 KLR with 98,000ks on it. Doesn’t use a drop of oil. But then I do mostly just use it on gravel travel... Gets between 25 and 28 kpl.

Dakar-owning friends love the engine on their bikes, but speak of expensive parts - and envy the KLR for its simplicity and utter reliability, and in the case of mine , the generation 1, its lightness relative to the later KLR’s and the Dakar ...

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Clive Davidson

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:01 am »
I have recently moved from an 08 KLR to a 2004 Dakar and while I really enjoyed the KLR I found the Dakar much more refined both on and off-road.
 If you push a KLR off-road the suspension bottoms out and in the tight stuff being very top heavy gets tiring.
The Dakar has better suspension out of the box....not great but better!
Being able to cruise at 140km/h without worrying that your bike is going to burn oil or explode was the main reason I changed.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Live to ride!