Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wanted: KLR or Dakar - which would you choose?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Neo_za

Re: Wanted: KLR or Dakar - which would you choose?
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2021, 11:35:31 am »
I had / have Dakar, KLR, XT660R and NC 700

For tar commuting if gas milage, comfort and safety is you main concern, then i think, in order:
NC (great consumption, twin engine, frunk, but lacks a soul....utilitarian and boring)
Dakar (light, normally heated grips, ABS,  very good consumption, multi-use......but its a BMW with all that goes with that)
XT (great riding position, good consumption, solid, multi-use......cant really think of anything negative apart from no OEM centre stand)
KLR (budget everything, so-so consumption, dependable, do everything.........not very comfortable)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:36:26 am by Neo_za »

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2021, 12:02:59 pm »

For tar commuting if gas milage, comfort and safety is you main concern, then i think, in order:
NC (great consumption, twin engine, frunk, but lacks a soul....utilitarian and boring)
Dakar (light, normally heated grips, ABS,  very good consumption, multi-use......but its a BMW with all that goes with that)
XT (great riding position, good consumption, solid, multi-use......cant really think of anything negative apart from no OEM centre stand)
KLR (budget everything, so-so consumption, dependable, do everything.........not very comfortable)

What does that entail, oh yes, the best service and backup you will get from any of the other manufactures.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2021, 06:33:58 pm »
I must admit the NC DCT really caught my eye, but there is nothing in the budget range that I could find.

Made contact with a few KLR Sellers and hoping to get to as many as possible this weekend. Found an interesting KLR that has apparently been done to 800cc by Holesport(?) Boksburg...can it be?

Back to suspension. So with my +100 kg and then daughter with her stuff of +- 40kg (combined) - although her weight added for a very short distance - are the older stock shocks and springs ok or do I need to get them resprung or replaced or uprated? This is on both KLR and Dakar.

And to make things more complicated a colleague has said I should rather look at the F650GS standard as opposed to the Dakar version. His claim is since most km's are daily and tar the Dakar is a waste and off road the F650GS van get you to the same places just a little slower and with more cautious driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline weskusklong

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Happiness comes from inside.
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2021, 06:39:06 pm »
Standard GS will be too low,you better start looking at a GS800 :imaposer:

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2021, 06:44:10 pm »
Standard GS will be too low,you better start looking at a GS800 :imaposer:
I concur.

800gs.

Good as a commuter and the added bonus of going off the pavement.  Its the 650gs you are looking at anyway but with better suspension.

I have a nice one in mind for you....

Jokes aside, if you are looking at the 650gs you might as well go for the 800gs. It will handle a pillion and luggage much better than the 650gs. But obviously everything is governed by the budget
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 06:45:57 pm by Grunder »
the Truth will offend at first

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2021, 06:47:31 pm »
Grunder the 800 GS has been haunting me but I cannot find one in my budget at the moment. Covid has wiped all extra savings due to helping out extended family and I can't be an arse now and call in debt...our can I? No never mind that's just a k@k thought....

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2021, 08:17:38 pm »
Grunder the 800 GS has been haunting me but I cannot find one in my budget at the moment. Covid has wiped all extra savings due to helping out extended family and I can't be an arse now and call in debt...our can I? No never mind that's just a k@k thought....

You asked right? If someone including family ask me for money I am prepared to write it off.
Mostly I'll tell them not to bother.
The most frustrating thing is having to ask someone to pay back a loan or give back a borrowed tool.
Pok  :patch: :lol8:

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 08:32:25 pm »
Tom in normal times sure I would remind...but now when so many have lost all income opportunity there is no way I would do that whilst what I want to do is not a necessity - just yet. One day when life has a semblance of normality I might raise it.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2021, 08:41:47 pm »
Tom in normal times sure I would remind...but now when so many have lost all income opportunity there is no way I would do that whilst what I want to do is not a necessity - just yet. One day when life has a semblance of normality I might raise it.

Good on you buddy  :thumleft:

Offline Lime Tree

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2021, 10:56:36 pm »
There's a low-mileage, nice-looking Dakar in the 'for sale' section at the moment: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=257252.0

A bit outside of your budget, but it sounds like you're considering stretching it.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2021, 09:50:35 am »
There's a low-mileage, nice-looking Dakar in the 'for sale' section at the moment: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=257252.0

A bit outside of your budget, but it sounds like you're considering stretching it.

Also saw two on fb Marketplace - one near me in Port Alfred that looks very nice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:53:47 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2021, 12:58:05 pm »

What does that entail, oh yes, the best service and backup you will get from any of the other manufactures.

That is true and no doubt a comfort to many riders out there OD, but only really matters to those who cannot work on their own bikes, or do not have the time or inclination to do so.
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2021, 01:04:36 pm »
I'd advise against the KLR 800, you've got no room for a future rebore, if needed.

And 50cc extra on a KLR won't do much.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2021, 02:19:05 pm »
I'd advise against the KLR 800, you've got no room for a future rebore, if needed.

I agree, theres not much more meat on those bones, and I personally think that motor would not last long, something would have to give.

with such a massive difference in displacement I would doubt the valves could keep up with airflow requirements you would probably battle to get the mixure right.

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2021, 04:54:51 pm »

I agree, theres not much more meat on those bones, and I personally think that motor would not last long, something would have to give.

with such a massive difference in displacement I would doubt the valves could keep up with airflow requirements you would probably battle to get the mixure right.

The KLR radiator is also marginal at best. I run a 685 with oversize valves and regulafly hit the fan switch - on point when idling at a robot in summer.

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
Wanted: KLR or Dakar - which would you choose?
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2021, 05:15:25 pm »
Ah great... so just when I decide on the KLR now radiators and and and ... this is starting to become like those jols where you go in with the right intentions and and up leaving/settling with the wrong

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2021, 07:15:34 pm »
Ah great... so just when I decide on the KLR now radiators and and and ... this is starting to become like those jols where you go in with the right intentions and and up leaving/settling with the wrong

Standard bike......no problem...everything works as Mr. Kawasaki designed it. Just saying that when you modify, or buy a modified bike, there are implications, as can be expected. For what you want, just buy a factory standard KLR and you will be fine.

The following users thanked this post: Sabre

Offline Jakalas

• Puppy
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2021, 07:49:21 pm »
Ah that gives a little more comfort.

To help me understand - if I increased the budget - which means using the bank's plastic - then why / how is it that an earlier 2005-8 1200 can sell at the same price as a 2007-9 800? Mileage in all cases are high >90k but apart from the size just why?

I have found a few Dakar or later F650GS around the +R50k mark but then I keep asking myself why not the comfort / size of a 1200? Yes they can't do the same single track as the first choice 650's but... aplenty.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2021, 07:53:00 pm »

150cc  :o.  - and maths was never my forté
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Sabre

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2021, 09:15:27 pm »
Ah that gives a little more comfort.

To help me understand - if I increased the budget - which means using the bank's plastic - then why / how is it that an earlier 2005-8 1200 can sell at the same price as a 2007-9 800? Mileage in all cases are high >90k but apart from the size just why?

I have found a few Dakar or later F650GS around the +R50k mark but then I keep asking myself why not the comfort / size of a 1200? Yes they can't do the same single track as the first choice 650's but... aplenty.

If that is how you are now thinking, save yourself the time and expense of the 650 - 800 - 1200 route, and go straight for the 1200  ;D But, take note, the 1200 will have fairly high running costs, compared to 650's
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun