Wanted: KLR or Dakar - which would you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakalas

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Hello woefies

Lurking in the shadows long time now waiting and saving and waiting and saving and finally in the market for a decent re-entry adventure bike.

Honesty - budget for bike R35k and R5k for immediate gear (helmets x 2 adult and 1 x child)

So this leads me to limited albeit reasonable choices: 2008-2011 KLR and 2002-2006 Dakar all with similar mileage varying from 25k to 80k. Some with extras and some with none but most importantly paperwork in order.

Purpose is a daily to travel around 80-100km pd which could be town and some highway or some town and mostly highway and then the occasional weekend get the "F out of Town". I travel from Randburg to Denver almost everyday... So time in traffic for me is a killer and if I can save a few rand in fuel then that's a cherry bonus! For context my current daily is a 2005 D3 V8 with >305k on the clock [emoji3061]

So in short if I can have some real input and advise from owners that have had the luxury of both for some constructive criticism and input please.

Many thanks
Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk