Which affordable dual sport bike for beginners, and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affordable & Reliable Dual sport bikes under 60k. Will add more later (5 votes per member)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hardy de Kock

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
I just got off the phone with a very nice man from KZN who phoned me about the June tour. He started riding in 2017 and rates himself as an average rider.
He wanted to know if he would be able to do the tour on his Africa Twin (first bike). I explained that it gets very technical in some of the areas and that I would be uncomfortable with the thought of sending an "average rider" with a 230kg+ in there.

The conversation eventually turned towards technical trails in his areas which he know nothing about "because he can't ride them with the bike that he has" (his words).
I asked him if he would consider buying a smaller, affordable and reliable little dual sport bike which would definitely make his tour a lot more enjoyable.
He was happy with the idea and asked me what bike I suggested.
I know that I am a bit biased when it comes to XR650's and DR650's. I have however recently bought a very nice KTM 525 for what I believe was a very reasonable price, and realized that there are other bikes out there that you can buy for under 60k that will be just as enjoyable and with a little TLC, just as reliable. 

I believe there are many prospective dual sport riders out there that ask themselves the same question. I for one have had this question many times in my life.
I would like to create a thread where prospective newcomers can look at the poll, and research the motivation and reasoning for that specific bike in the thread.

I asked Andrew to assist me in modifying the poll after the thread has started so that I can add your suggestions.
Please keep it to bikes under R60,000 - with your reasons for that bike being nominated, and as a help to these newcomers you can also add the name of members or professionals who really knows that specific bike model very well. By doing that we will have a poll where newcomers will be able to see how the forum rates these "cheapies", they will understand why, and they will know who to contact should they decide to look for & purchase such a bike.
Please feel free to post criticism too - It all helps  :thumleft:

We will add the poll with the suggestions we have on the thread after a week

Thanks

Referral List for people with knowledge on the bikes listed below:

BMW 650 Dakar

BMW 650 X-Challenge

Honda XR650L - @Runner  @Dux

Honda XR600R

Honda XR400

Honda CRF230

Honda XR250 Tornado

Honda CRF250L