42nd Traverse New Zealand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Duck

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi Guys
This is my first RR. Sadly after I left SA but at least you guys can keep the RR's  going that side

The 42 Traverse is about 2 hours South of Auckland and is a track used by 4x4's, mountain gikes, quads and the occasional pig hunters.

We left Auckland in a light drizzle (It rains a lot in NZ) and did a gravel road detour that took us over some passes and through some towns to a place called Owhango

The idea was to do as much gravel as we could fit in on the ride from Auckland to Owhango, spend the night there and then do the traverse the following morning.

Starting in Auckland we ended up in Otorohonga, were we had lunch and them cut back onto gravel via Waitomo Caves.

In Pio Pio wie gassed up and carried on to Ohura, then to Taumarunui and via Hikumutu road to Owhango. By then it was a bit drizzly, but barely enough to dampen the road. We arrived in Owahango at 3pm. Because the weather forecast was for rain, we decided to do the traverse immediately from the Owhango side. By the time we had unloaded out gear and were ready to go it was 3.30pm.

The traverse starts a few hundred meters behind the Hotel. You cross a bridge and before you know it your in the thick of it. It got muddy real quick and rutted as well, plus the track snaked its way up a hill. That's not so good when you are riding a bike with Siracs. Once you're committed you've got to keep on going.
This is the 4 of us. Me, Richard, Alex and Des at a town called Ohura. Its a small town that is slowly dying after the prison was closed down

This is the information board at the one side of the traverse. Only saw this at the end of our ride as we started from the opposite side. Maybe it was good only seeing it afterwards as most of the traverse is clay and on Sirac's and raining, I might have decided otherwise

Generally the track is twin spoor with huge uphills that if you stop and think about it you probably wont make it up. So I went with the old saying "momentem is your friend"

There is only one rocky outcrop on the route and in the rain was like ice. You had to start on the level and just before this outcrop you had to turn about 75 degrees and climb it. Saw my arse on the Sirrac's but with help from others managed to get up

This is the view from the top and the turn can be seen at the bottom

The following 5 photo's are a few of the river crossings with holes and boulders strewn around. Staal Jan would not be happy, after a couple of close calls I decided against 'stand up, look, up and open up" it was more "stand up, look up, open up and see your gat"

In this river crossing Richard decided to stop and look for a better line. The BM just sucked in a whole lot of water, but we managed to get it started again.

Returning to the hotel we disected the days ride over many beers and some good food.
We left the Sunday morning in pissing rain (did I tell you it rains a lot in NZ) and rained most of the way back to Auckland. A great ride

Not sure about the pictures don't know how to make them bigger
Donald Duck