Looks like radiator guards are essential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorsland

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
While washing my bike last weekend (it was covered in locust gloop  :patch:) I noticed that both my radiators, especially the RH one, had a few dents in them from stones thrown up.  A few guys have posted about this, I always assumed it was not much of a threat.  I have changed my mind though, a good size pebble, kicked up with sufficient force (because ATs - especially the RWB ones - are incredibly fast and powerful.  But we all know that  :biggrin:) will certainly put a hole in a radiator.

Looking at the units on offer, only Motorradical's guards had small enough slits that would, to my mind, prevent a pebble penetrating.  I liked the Go Gravel units but these apparently are no longer being manufactured.  The Riot Gear's US Army star cutout put me off a bit. 

Chris from [member=1597]DUSTRIDERS[/member] suggested Motorradical guards in stainless.

So today I fitted them.  No time like the present seeing as an AT must always be ready to depart on far-off adventures at a moment's notice. :)

Was a really easy job, maybe 20 minutes including bringing my stoeltjie out of the workshop.  LH guard needs 2 x 10mm bolts, a 12mm bolt for the horn and a Phillips screwdriver.  RH guard needs 2 x 10mm bolts and a Phillips screwdriver.  If you are a bit stiff, a workshop stoeltjie works lekker.

Attachments

• IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg