Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 'n Paar vrae oor Baviaans?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Re: 'n Paar vrae oor Baviaans?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:11 pm »
Watter tyd van die jaar is dit reënseisoen in Baviaans?

Wanneer is die driwwe op hul droogste en wanneer op hul natste?

Offline vellies

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 09:19:11 pm »
Maak net seker is padwaardig of lyk minstens so met 'n nommerplaat. Die polisie is gemagtig deesdae om fietse en quads te konfiskeer wat nie padwaardig en gelisensieer is nie. Jy kan verseker wees om die manne daar tee te kom in die vakansie omdat baie van die Vaalies daar kom ammok maak. Sleep quads en bosfietse in en se hulle gaan nie gebruik nie maar volgende dag ry iemand dan met daai goed in 'n ander ou se bakkie vas teen die pas bo Elandsvlak. Stem saam met Rone hulle, liget vrag en liewer nie 2-up nie. Paar daaie wat mooi oop lyk maar het 'n bedrieglike fyn grys met 'n off-camber. Ligloop anders val jy hard en ver. Geniet dit want dit is 'n besonderse stuk natuur.
Suzuki Intruder 400cc
Suzuki Djebel XC250 - sold
Honda CTX 200 - sold

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 10:18:13 am »
I went through from Patensie to Willowmore a month ago. Found lots of Cape bikers that came down from Willowmore to Patensie . The trip is great, but beware. You basically cannot pillion. If you do, the pillion should rather walk the difficult portions. Wash-ways are terrible. Be careful. The guys with bigger bikes, battle both the water crossings and the "rocky -very technical" portions where the roads are washed away, down to the rock. At water crossings, walk it first, then pick you route carefully. The lighter bikes just run through, taking it in their stride. You will also see many potholes (with water in it) so big a whole bakkie fits in it. The roads in the entire reserve,  which is run by nature conservation are terrible and deteriorating rapidly. Absolutely NO maintenance is being done at all. If this continues, 4 x 4 will only be able to ride this route for another year or so, there after just bikes will get through, for say another year, then the roads will have eroded away to an extent that only hikes would be able to do this trip. In two years time that is, No vehicles will be able to fully traverse the Baviaans as it is today. Sad, but a reality due to NIL road maintenance, apparently being a dispute between the Parks Board and Province. Province say the roads in the reserve are Parks Boards problem. Parks Board say they are a nature conservation body, and are not geared for road maintenance and/or building, as required in the Baviaans Kloof, nor do they have the budget for road maintenance. Catch 22   So the roads just continue to deteriorate. This is really the “Slippery Slope” downward, as the rest of Africa. Outside the reserve the roads are really in a good condition, actually excellent, quite surprisingly.

DO Not even attempt to do this route without NOBBIE tyres. Leave the “dual” at home. SERIOUS. DO Not do this alone, have a buddy with you that can ride for help if you have problems. To really enjoy this kloof, seriously consider sleeping at the Makkadat or other caves, as well as many of the other camp sites available.

Typical road surface with washaways. LOTS of this. It will keep you real busy.

Water crossing. Walk it first, check the "marbles under foot" being the river bed. This is challenging stuff because you cant see it.

A 650Gs battling to get through. He had dual tyres and the marbles river bed were not kind to him. He stopped and battled every 3 meters!! with the tyres just slipping and digging in.

Now this is the highway roads outside the reserve. GREAT !! Check the scenery.
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:41 am »
Did this twice with the 1100, mah wife on the back (of the bike ;D ), luggage (30kg's of it) and semi worn Anakees.

Once up and down from Willowmore side and once through from Patensie.

You have to be comfortable with your bike, your own riding skill and the feeling of a pillion on the back.
Easy does it, but don't hesitate - choose a line, stick to it but be able to think on your feet, commit and let the bike do the rest...

Having said all of that - it's been a couple of months ago and from what I've heard the roads have gotten a little worse (although some of the photos look very familiar ;D ;D )

I'll be weary of doing it with the 12 at this stage (with my wife) as the back shock needs some beefing up and I banged the 1100's bash plate quite hard about twice.

And it is easier coming down from Patensie's side.

On my own I won't think twice though ;D
Love that road.

(Nice photos Tweetie - shows some of the interesting bits quite well ;D ;D )
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 10:50:00 am »

And it is easier coming down from Patensie's side.

I agree.

Offline Big H

• Pack Dog
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 11:00:50 am »
Did this twice with the 1100, mah wife on the back (of the bike ;D ), luggage (30kg's of it) and semi worn Anakees.

You have to be comfortable with your bike, your own riding skill and the feeling of a pillion on the back.

Easy does it, but don't hesitate - choose a line, stick to it but be able to think on your feet, commit and let the bike do the rest...

+1

I did it a month ago on a R1200GSA with Metzeler Tourances and didn't have a problem.

Three bikes in our group had pillions and they were fine.

Offline Laban

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 11:46:49 am »

Ons slaap DV Donderdag aand 18 Des in die kloof by S33.54581 E23.96273, tensy ons groot k@k iewers oppad soontoe optel 

Check daai datum Donderdag lees 17 en Vrydag lees 18 ;D
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
  • Race Dog
    • Algoanet
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »
Mooi foto's daar Tweetie - net jammer daar is nie van die snake-bite klippe nie. Daar is gedeeltes waar my 4x4 in 1ste rat lowrange  hande 4 voet moes oorklim teen 2km/h. enigsins vinniger en ek sou skade opgetel het. Ek weet nie hoe dit velede maand daar gelyk het nie maar ek is nou Sondag daardeur en glo my dit is hond kak selfs met 'n 4x4. Veral die pas op na bergplaas vanaf Willowmore se kant. die res is redelik "mak" soos op Tweetie se foto's
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline LouisXander

• Elephant fighter
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Old man with Elephantine motorcycle
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 10:08:15 pm »
Ek gaan dv daar deur Des met n 4x4. Watch it!!  :peepwall:
Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall!

Offline Hagar

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 09:00:47 pm »
As dit nie nat is nie ry die boere steeds gemaklik daar deur met hulle gewone bakkies.

Offline RobbieR

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 11:45:49 am »
Tweetie - Those Cape Town people were probably the Moto Adventure crowd. We were about 25 duals that went from Willowmore direction Patensie over the weekend of 31 October. Some people first timers on gravel. Obviously we had some fun, with some bike swims and a guy nearly going off the side. This was due to a "time mistake" and some guys ended up doing the water crossing  and the firsts pass to Doodsklip at night. Not recommended for the faint hearted!!

A good tip - Stay on the left hand side of the water crossing (as seen from Willowmore side) The right lane of this crossing has two DEEP holes towards the end. Quite a surprise if you think you through and then your bike just "sinks".

The photo's are great, but does not do justice to when you are actually on the slopes.

Enjoy!!!
No Place too Far

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 12:39:36 pm »
As prevoiusly mentioned take lots of water. Take it slow and enjoy. It really is gods country out there. Stop in and have a look at the Maakedat caves on the way out to Willowmore. Well worth spending the night there :thumleft:
Pass this way once!

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »

Another lekker ride (if you have thye fuel left) is when you exit the wilderness (riding from Willowmore to rthe Patensie side) instead of going on to Patensie you can hook a dirt road to the right which takes you to Humansdorp and the coastal area.

Bout 30 - 50 klicks of relaxed riding if I remember correctly

Offline LouisXander

• Elephant fighter
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Old man with Elephantine motorcycle
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »
Dankie vir inligting, ek glo ons gaan dit geniet.
LRFan

Sien jy is maar stil oor waarmee jy gaan. 4x4 Community vaandel of Wilddog vaandel?  :peepwall:
Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall!

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »
Hi Laban
I run a farm out side Hankey, in the valley, if you have any problems at all, please give us a call.
If you have problems in the kloof, tell Tiekie Smith in Cambria, you're a mate of mine and you'l be sorted.
If you would like phone nr's , give us a pm.
Enjoy the ride, be safe and beware of vaalies in cages.

Offline Arrie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Ride to ride again.
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 09:31:05 am »
Myself and 3 mates did Baviaans in the beginning of September this year (partially in the rain).

2 "lewensgevaarliks", a Kawa Versys and a KLR 650. Almost no cagers exept one local farm lady in a Land Cruiser obviously in a hurry and late for her hairdo appointment.

Just take it slow and enjoy the scenary. If you are in a hurry or trying to pull some stunts, you are at the wrong place.

The only part that I struggled with (due to my short ass) was the last watercrossing. I did'nt keep momentum and stalled the bike twice. Luckely I went through without getting wet.

It is realy a beautifull place and a must do on your trippie list.
Die Bloues is definitief die vinnigste!!

Offline Doggone

• Race Dog
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 10:33:27 am »
I intend riding this route somewhere around Xmas time.  ;D

Will my GS1200 have a problem with wading depth on water crossings if it rains?
If so how would you fit a snorkel of sorts?  ???
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 11:33:11 am »
It might have a problem if it falls over  :ricky:

Search for LS's snorkel mod on his 12ADV if you really want to go that route  :D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline met eish

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 12:34:52 pm »
I intend riding this route somewhere around Xmas time.  ;D

Will my GS1200 have a problem with wading depth on water crossings if it rains?
If so how would you fit a snorkel of sorts?  ???
It does'nt rain in Dec, it will be dry and very hot with lots of traffic - be carefull. I hit a Parksboard bakkie years ago around a corner  :o
The watercrossings won't be an issue either, you will have a little bit of water at Smitskraal.

Enjoy
KTM 950

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 09:45:50 pm »
For the gs 1200, try a kreepy krauly pipe, works like a charm.
I carnt see you useing it in dec though.