Bud500 and Dookie try a one night stand...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud500 (R.I.P)

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
It has been way too long since I did a little bike camping trip. (Even longer since I have done a ride report...) I had the need for a self sustained wild camp night.
You could also read this as, affordable camp night. Most of the riding the past years tended to be bakkie supported and thus you have a lighter bike and the riding ends up being more "vigorous".
So sometime, somewhere probably over a dop I mentioned this to [member=11741]dookie[/member] and he was on board. Let's do a shortish one night trip to somewhere. Short so that you can take your time on the road and do lots of little stops. One night because it is easier to get a pass.
But where can we go? Being based in Gauteng, not much wild/free camping options are available, not to mention safe. I had a friend's farm in mind, out towards Loskopdam, where I have spent time on and off for the past 25 years. No power, no cell signal, no civilisation. Dookie mentioned his Uncle has a little spot in the bush towards Beestekraal, it's a game farm next to a lion reserve. So seeing as a bunch of WD's were heading to Loskop on the same day, we decided to head the other way... :pot:
A quick squiz at some maps we chose a general direction and route but didn't plan anything specific.
Roughly, we meet in Moloto, head north west to Pienaarsrivier. Link up with the Zaagkuildrift road, which we used on previous trips. Head west towards Moretele, then south to Jericho. After that in to Brits for farm keys and last shopping and then on to the farm.
Enroute we changed the plan a bit as we spent about 4hrs covering the first 200km, too much smelling the proverbial roses. So we skipped Jericho and blasted through Ga-Rankuwa to get to Brits in time. Jeezz those roads around Soshanguwe are kak. As is the general driving....
We spent a great night under the stars with a bright waning moon and the sounds of lion and jackal in the background. Talked lots of kak and drank leka not so kak whisky.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 276
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 276
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 274
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg