An Audacious Venture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blikkies1

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So, I seem to do silly things every few years, my brain is always racing with mad ideas which I need to keep in check but one is sticking again. This post is just a quick recce, I will post a formal one as plans progress, the basic idea is to get my overweight and unfit body in shape and cycle from CT to PE in December while raising funds and creating awareness for some or other cause - I am not a cyclist or crusader.
The reason I'm typing this is to get your input regarding the cause, I had an uncle who suffered from depression commit suicide last year so I'm thinking of raising awareness and funds for an association that deals with male depression specifically, I'm not immediately aware of such an association so I hope you chaps can steer me in the right direction?
I have another uncle who battles with depression, I want to get him to join me on the journey to sort of be the face of what can be achieved no matter the affliction.
Points to ponder:
1: Establish a cause to support, think I'm already fixed on this but open to other ideas.
2: Get uncle's buy-in, we hike every Saturday so I'll broach the subject carefully with him this coming Saturday.
2. Sign up for a gym contract and start spinning classes.
3: Create a professional FB page, my girl works for a marketing agency so should have this covered.
4: Money - I'll fund all the expenses, money raised(if any) will go to the cause entirely. Do I try to get sponsors and get them and FB members to pay per kilometer covered or use some other mechanism? I'm just
    an average Joe so don't see myself getting any big sponsors, will most likely target other average Joe's. 
5:Treasury - my sis is a CA so she can handle any potential incoming funds.
6: Videography - attain and learn how to use a GoPro effectively for general trip videos and interviews
7: Chat with a psychologist to give a breakdown of the affliction for the FB page.
8: Figure out how to pack light for a bicycle trip.
9: Stop vaping.
10: Train.
11: Train.
12: Cry from pain.
13: Break through the pain and train more.

Any input will be appreciated chaps. I have zero experience with this sort of thing, I'm really not sure why this entered my brain. I don't want to go OTT, just want to make a small difference, 

Edit: I will need to map a bicycle friendly route as we obviously can't follow the N2, it will need to follow an efficient vector between A and B as much as possible,