Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Across US on Baton Rouge  (Read 13877 times)

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
Re: Across US on Baton Rouge
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »
OK. now this was the highlight of my Utah experience. Zion National Park (N37 14.300 W113 05.928). Just look at this mountains and rocks and colours.

100001 110010 1101010

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 08:33:18 pm »
Thanks Zonk,that Utah valleys looks like real cowboy movie stuff........ :thumleft: :thumleft: :ricky:
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline redtiger

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 09:07:02 pm »
Awsome RR zonke I am really enjoying the pics and the comments keep it coming and thanks for taking the time to post.  :thumleft:

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:38 am »

Shoe tree (N39 23.397 W117 51.240)

Pony express (N39 17.239 W118 01.611)

100001 110010 1101010

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2009, 06:54:54 am »
with this i have to say goodbuy. i have not completed this ride across america. But I will be away for a awhile. I guess, this is the end for me. sorry for not completing but life is as you know.

Friends, just keep on riding and follow the road. Hope, Love and Faith.

Go safe Zonk... may your Dog go with you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:56:21 am by Welsh »
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2009, 08:30:13 am »
Till we meet again.  8)

Go well and be safe! :thumleft:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2009, 11:05:23 am »
Till we meet again.  8)

Go well and be safe! :thumleft:
Absolutely agree with that.
What initially seem to be an arbitrary selection of photos have really informed me.  Did not appreciate the attraction of a Gold Wing until I saw this document of the terrain.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2009, 11:53:00 am »
Ride safe en sit asseblief n nuwe agtertyre op. Hy lyk maar kaal!!
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Iron Shark

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2009, 07:02:41 pm »
with this i have to say goodbuy. i have not completed this ride across america. But I will be away for a awhile. I guess, this is the end for me. sorry for not completing but life is as you know.

Friends, just keep on riding and follow the road. Hope, Love and Faith.

Nice one mate, so where you off to?? Are you heading back to work for a while?   ???
Kawasaki KH 175 - sold
Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - sold
BMW 1200 GS - sold
BMW 1200 GSA - loving it

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 07:37:19 am »
Zonkel.

Hope your turmoil gets sorted.

Ride safe, looking forward to hearing from you again.

Great report, and really awesome pics.

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 09:57:55 am »
Wow What a trip.
I would love to do the Route 66 trip.
Don't know your situation, but wish you all the best!
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.

Offline Stephan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 02:07:12 pm »
Ride safe Zonk and keep well.  :thumright:
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Harvey Mushmin

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 11:20:23 pm »
Super kool dude.
"On Any Sunday"

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42:20 am »
Great ride you've done so far Zonkelnut!
Take the time to sort things out.
Take care.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline keithk

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 07:04:56 pm »
Hey HOMBRE" next time you go to MEXICO I come too  ;D I don't think you are a fairy even if your avatar says so, you ride to all these hard core places on a Versys nogal well done ! thanks for sharing  :thumleft:
ROUTE DIFFICULTY:1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillion friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillion friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding
5 = expert only (we are not worthy, still to meet one)

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 07:42:49 pm »
Ride well Zonkel

Remember these ?  :biggrin:
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2009, 05:15:00 pm »
OK. I have to apologize for the long time away and will continue with the report. Ye, life do have a strange way with me but with every step taking me closer to ... LIFE! I would want it no other way.

I think why I like bikes so much is that it’s so far away from the pain and stuff given to us to deal with. I think everybody on this forum will understand when I say biking takes you away and brings you into the perfect love of life.

Whatever happened to me or the turmoil given to me by life out of love is of no consideration to the roads you or me travel and brought on to us by that dire need to be free and feel the purest form of love healing and filling the emptiness that can not be gained by prayer or meditation or spending time with whomever or wherever or chasing the unreachable goals forced upon us by society. Biking frees us from the you, them and all the others. It is our capsule into unlimited joy and peace. It is the 'my space'. The space reached by only you. And although we are social beings trapped by our fears of being alone, we still crave for this substance that fill what can not be filled. Emptied from daily issues. Like putting gas in the tank, each bike trip represents a 'filling up' process that gains the momentum that needs to be reached every day.

It brings live, love, passion and unlimited peace. While in the ‘helmet-shell’ of seclusion, we experience the one thing feared by many, obsessed by all, but once reached - peace! It is the being with oneself. Such a thing that scares us and walked away from loneliness. But by being a biker, the one thing cherished above all.

Imagine where you are sitting right now. The office, study or in front of the TV with or without the family. Just by reading this wild dogs forum ride reports and seeing the stuff that others do that you know you should be doing. So many things enter your thoughts. Why am I sitting here? When is the next ride? Why can I not just pack up and go? Where will I go? So many places I want to see. So many routes and people to see and cultures that allude my giving. And then the thought of 'one day' pops un-controlled into your mind. But alas, no amount of 'one day' would ever be enough you then realize with a feeling of remorse.

But just in that is the essence of the adulterous feelings that enters your core. "But I am not an adulterer?!" you scream out in silence. Knowing well enough that each and everyone of us on this forum are an adulterous being. Not ever being happy with what we got or where we are we look for more. More and even more. Just to get sustained by nothingness of wishing.

A wise china man called Tao Te Ching once said that there is a difference and yet the same between ‘wanting to’ and ‘doing’.  Wanting to take out the garbage compared to taking out the garbage. Wanting to go to work and going to work. Wanting to ride your bike and riding your bike.

There is a well know forum member from Canada, I think he was called ‘Ranier the Canadian’ or something (forgive me for not remembering or having the slack of not searching). On the first wild dog bash he said something, which I remember very little people took notice of. This is what he said “One day I got up and realized that on paper I can not ride the world. I wrote down the Not To’s and it encompass many pages in many books. And the Do’s only a few. That is when I realized I am either going to do it or, I am doing it.” He then sold everything, got on his bike and started riding. Not trying to, but doing.

Now everyone’s story is different than the others. For the ‘long way round’ team it was for adventure driven by fame and money. StrikingViking for just doing and I think, mid life crises. And so everyone got their story and own reasons.

Mine was for something way different but still for the same reason. What it is is of no concern as I said before. But rather for doing it. I am now currently in SA (again) and will spend some time here until I regain control over my uncontrollable Baton Rouge arriving in May 2009.

I will then again amuse ya’all on the shallow expectations that we, us Dual purpose riders have and the bias nature we practice our culture with. The Versys not being a ‘pure bred’ dual purpose bike, will truly offend many and amuse most.

There are very little if not none forum members I have met that I dislike (needless to say it will not be the same the other way around), I like you all and learned from all. But there are some that I have a huge respect for when it comes to their own domain.

But for some I have so much respect and acknowledgment as they share the same spirit. The same fate of uncontrollable passion. The same dire need, but maybe with more brains than me for knowing the risks of doing solo riding. For these I hold a special love and bond. Not any different than the others but, just different as I can relate to them.  For these are the men that makes this forum a dream. A dream of what we can be and what we can become in ourselves and still be part of this forum and for that, the world of working, slaving, pain and hardship.

I have to conclude by saying that as members on this forum know me I am not the best or the bravest or the epitome of what a man should be like. I ride Bikes that are not DS accepted nor did in the past portray the true spirit of the group player. I was merely a wannaby and someone lost and oblivious to structures and life skills. Experienced in nothing. But what I did have and still admire is the true pure love of riding without excuses.

I will not try and complete this report but will do it. So stay tuned and enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:25:58 am by Zonkelnut »
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2009, 05:37:29 pm »
...ek sien uit daarna :)
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2009, 05:45:15 pm »
Hi Zonks,
Good to have you back again.
I know I speak for your other friends here - when you ready, give us a call, we'll visit your favourite shebeen and talk about days gone by, and even more importantly - days to come.

Well back mate  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:45:45 pm by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2009, 06:56:20 pm »
Welcome back to SA, D. 8)

You busy 4th April?