Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cafe Racers  (Read 4040 times)

Extreme Velcro

Cafe Racers
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:36:50 am »
Ok - just when I think I've got every category of bike down pat and where each m,ake and bike kind of fits in, I get thrown a curve ball with the expression CAFE RACER.

What the hell is that?  Is this a new category or does it only apply to that pretty little Buell?  Does it mean you race from cafe to cafe or is it an acronym for something?

I know this is not about DS biking as such, but I know you'll have the answers....

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: Cafe Racers
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:43 am »
ooooo cafe racers.  :drif: naked type bikes build up, or standard. Lekker poser bike, park in front of a cafe/coffee shop and drool over it.
Cape Town I will definitely have one.  :thumleft:

Come on EV get one.  :mwink:

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:58:16 am »
Ok - so its a naked bike basically....is that right?

I'd get the Buell - it fits me. 

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 09:44:34 am »
what Buell? Well it's more a build up of any old bike, minus all the weight. a Ducati 650 Monster is also a cafe racer and short people love it.

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:59:43 am »
Dis Buell - the 1125CR

Looks pretty - even I could maybe look pretty on this little babe....

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:26:11 am »
buell's and monsters are not strictly cafe racers, they are more streetfighters

the triumph thruxton however, is a cafe racer...

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 10:33:23 am »
Ok - now that I am once again confused....

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:09:27 am »
A café racer, originally pronounced "caff" (as in Kaff) racer, is a type of motorcycle as well as a type of motorcyclist. Both meanings have their roots in the 1960s British counterculture group the Rockers or the Ton Up Club, although they were also common in Italy, Germany, and other European countries.
Rockers were a young and rebellious Rock and Roll counterculture that wanted a fast, personalized and distinctive bike to travel between transport cafés along the newly built arterial motorways in and around British towns and cities. The goal of many was to be able to reach 100 miles per hour (called simply "the ton") along such a route where the rider would leave from a cafe, race to a predetermined point and back to the cafe before a single song could play on the jukebox, this was called record-racing. They are remembered as being especially fond of Rockabilly music and their image is now embedded in today's rockabilly culture.
A classic example of this was to race from the Ace Cafe on The North Circular road in NW London to the Hanger Lane junction as it then was - it is now the more famous Hanger Lane Gyratory System - and back again. The aim was to get back to the Ace Cafe before the record you'd put onto the jukebox had finished. Given that some of the Eddie Cochran tunes that were in vogue at this time were less than 2 minutes long, the racers would have had to traverse the three miles round trip at extremely high speed.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_racer

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 11:13:34 am »
Thanks Wes - that description helps. 

So its basically a naked bike really, that is called a cafe racer in Europe and something else somewhere else and maybe something else in another part of somewhere else....

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 11:14:26 am »
EV get a bike, does'nt matter what, you will love it once you have it. It's like most  pregnant mothers, she want daughter, then they have a butt ugly little red head son, despite the fact that it's not really what se wanted she loves it non teh less.

The same with any bike you will buy, the moment you get on it, you going to love it and ride.  :mwink:

I mean just check the KLR riders, you know must much love and open minded they must be to ride that bike?  :pot: :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:15:05 am by michnus »

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 11:21:09 am »
EV get a bike, does'nt matter what, you will love it once you have it. It's like most  pregnant mothers, she want daughter, then they have a butt ugly little red head son, despite the fact that it's not really what se wanted she loves it non teh less.

The same with any bike you will buy, the moment you get on it, you going to love it and ride.  :mwink:

I mean just check the KLR riders, you know must much love and open minded they must be to ride that bike?  :pot: :biggrin:

Hey - I'm getting a KLR as a starter - whatcha trying to say here ?

No, I'm so not good for any form of road bike; something like that would be suicidal for someone like me.

I jsut saw the term and wanted to know more. 

In all seriousness, it is just a naked bike and a kind of slang for those types.

Mark and I were discussing this the other day and I do find sometimes the various labels/categories that are given to bikes these days somewhat confusing.

By the time I got my head around the fact that sports bikes are this and yet their naked versions are basically more devillish on corners and that tourers are this with some sub categories there and that under DS biking we have some bikes that are more road bikes adapted to adventure riding and some are adventure bikes adapated to road riding and .....my poor little brain spun.

And then I got cafe racer thrown into the mix and complete confusion reigned.

However, they are pretty - can we see some more examples please?

Disselboom

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:26:14 am »
We were parked at the toy run the other day, I tried to point out to my wife all the the different class of bikes.
She just wanted to know what bike that tall, ponytailed muscle dude was on.
Woman, I'll never get it.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:56 am »
I guess you already know more than some posers here.  :mwink: :biggrin: Cafe racers are not solely about speed, it's about fun, and riding something different, the essence and enjoyment of biking. 

Any old bike for that matter, that's restored to minimalist, retro style is cool, and it can sort of qualify as a cafe racer.

enjoy

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252051&highlight=cafe+racers
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:43:23 am by michnus »

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 12:40:38 pm »
I think the Wiki deifinition about sums it up - in the early 70's when I was first turned onto bikes I had a number of pics of cafe racers on my wall (I recall one Honda 750 Four especially)and it was a term I understood ... and made my 50cc resemble as closely as possible  :biggrin: Essentially, yes, a naked bike (even though this term was only coined in the 90's) because generally road bikes did not have fairings or screens in those days, 'pimped' in as much as it also generally needed some strategic chrome (but not overdone), rear-sets, clip-ons, often a single racing seat and maybe long tank ... custom spray job also helps define the cafe racer.
While there are some contemporary new off the floor bikes that qoute the cafe racer style a cafe racer is a personaised classic road bike and often quite minimilist.

This pic epitomises the Cafe Racer (and the rider epitomises my dream riding partner  ::))
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:45:25 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline lecap

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 01:38:40 pm »
At the end of the day you can't buy a cafe racer.
You have to build it. (or cheat a bit and get someone to build it for you)
It's as individual as a true chopper, just better handling and faster.

I have a 1980 CB250RS: XL500R engine, FT500 carb & made to fit exhaust, 1/2 CB400N + 1/2 VF750S front brake, DIY rearset, DIY airbox, M-bar, black + checkerboard custom paint. 36hp and 131kg with fuel. Still needs fatter tires and a single seat to become my Cafe Racer :)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 02:20:18 pm »
I hve a 350cc version of this one. In the 70s it was a known as a cafe racer.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 02:33:41 pm »
I hve a 350cc version of this one. In the 70s it was a known as a cafe racer.

AND YES, they made a DS / Scrambler version a bit like the Triumph  :biggrin: :biggrin:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:37:35 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Online Sprocketbek

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »
There was a silver 450 Ducati just like the one in the picture in Stellenbosch when I was a youngster. It had a fantastic sound. There was quite a busy road behind our house and we became boffins at identifying the Ducati's, Guzzi's, BSA's, Norton's etc by sound alone. 
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin ....
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 09:24:37 pm »
Cafe Racers  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 09:29:17 pm »