Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2022  (Read 14022 times)

Offline JK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Everything Counts In Large Amounts
Re: Dakar 2022
« Reply #680 on: January 14, 2022, 03:41:30 pm »
Eish that is sad. Only 20 years old  :'(
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline Exploratio

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #681 on: January 14, 2022, 03:51:50 pm »
Must say that it is going to be very interesting to see those Duracell (Audis) cars when they come back next year  8)
How fo they charge these vehicles when the bivouac is out in the desert ?
Mother of genset.

With their plan to move away from internal combustion engines by 2030, it will be interesting to see how the bikes will do over the long stages.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

XL700V Transalp (Donated)
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer  (Sold)
XR650L

Offline JK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Everything Counts In Large Amounts
« Reply #682 on: January 14, 2022, 04:11:42 pm »
Must say that it is going to be very interesting to see those Duracell (Audis) cars when they come back next year  8)
How fo they charge these vehicles when the bivouac is out in the desert ?
Mother of genset.

With their plan to move away from internal combustion engines by 2030, it will be interesting to see how the bikes will do over the long stages.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Yeah is the refueling truck now going to have charged batteries for the bikes as opposed to fuel . . .  :o
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #683 on: January 14, 2022, 04:18:30 pm »
What a load of wank all those batteries will be charged by internal combustion generators which is less efficient than burning fuel directly

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #684 on: January 14, 2022, 04:48:04 pm »
Yamaha is really a satellite team supported (what looks like begrudgingly) by Yamaha. They're racing with a souped up WR450F enduro bike built by a French Yamaha bunch. Not a bad way to do it. Toyota Gazoo has a similar setup and that works for Toyota. If and when it works, itíll be the archetypal little guy beats all the big guys stories. I donít think they have what it takes yet, but theyíre not very far off either.

KTM have the luxury of 95% of the field making up what is essentially an enormous ongoing laboratory for their engineers to gather data on what works under rally conditions. I'll bet, that their rally program must almost be self-funding... it might even turn a profit for them! If youíve ever crawled under/around one of their bikes and studied them up close, they are simply gorgeous! Nothing, and I mean nothing on those bikes doesnít breathe literally millions of Kmís of hard earned knowledge and quality. Where else can you simply plop your money down, no questions asked, and buy a bike 98% the same as the guy who won on it the year before? They, for the moment define what a rally bike is.

Honda went the other way, they threw obscene amounts of money, engineers, time and sweat on a bespoke bike that no one can buy for any amount of money.... that then mostly gets crushed or leads a quiet life in the Honda Museum tucked away from ever having to roll a wheel again on anything other than carpets. It's a closed shop with only really design cues and the odd mechanical titbit filtering down to their production bikes. I despair of their secretive ways. They have the might, knowhow, engineering brilliance and quality to make the rally bikes gorgeousness more accessible to the adventure community in the guise of a 500 class adventure bike. But don't.

Gas Gas & Husqvarna, they're part of that KTM laboratory above. I don't really get it other than to applaud them for absorbing other brands and then keep them alive. It's great for historical and sentimental reasonsÖ and the brand sluts I suppose.

Sherco? Don't know enough to comment. Not inspired enough to make anything up. Pity.

Kawasaki.... I Imagine a VP accountant at a gathering of CA's and old varsity buddies one boozy evening at a strip club in Chūō, Kobe, Japan, got a quick peek at a Honda's preliminary budget for year 4 of rally. That sobered him up fast enough for him to make a voice note to himself before he got ferociously drunk. Back in the board meeting next week, Kawasaki Heavy Industries made the call that it was cheaper and less risk to focus on industrial robots, gas turbines, pumps, boilers, engines, heavy equipment, aerospace and defence equipment, rolling stock and ships building.

Besides, the engineering principles that have so wonderfully given birth to the KLR, the Landrover (series 1) of the motorcycling world, simply donít work in rally; Rally bikes have to be feather light, blindly quick, amazingly nimble, excellent suspension and bullet proof dependable. 4 out of 5 just wonít cut it.

BMW? One. That's it, just one bike made it to the start this year. A privateer who only made 2 more stages before his 11 year old BMW 450x rally bike ended it's journey. BMW got all sulky because opposed twins of cavernous engine size became the victims of daintyfying cc changes. They had a last fart effort where they loped off one side of the engine, turned that the right way round and campaigned in a jaundiced fashion with the aforementioned starters bike. Make no mistake, in the right hands it was no slouch. Our very own @bonova (RIP Peter How) won his Amageza and took multiple stages on it. (It was heavily modified though)

Shoo! I wasnít intending for this post to come out like that, but it grew as I went! Sorry.

Obscene amount of money..?
Do you for one moment think think that KTMs budget is smaller for Dakar than that of Honda?

Dakar victories are much more important for the KTM brand than Honda.

I would like to see the budgets for every manufacturer, including ridersÖÖ

I think he was referring to the money spent on the actual bikes that they use Mapog. - That is how I understood it.

i think spending/cost between Honda and Ktm is probably much of a muchness -and all others are budget constrained. How and why is Honda involved in sponsoring the Dakar- same story i moaned about last year- just does not sit right with me. Must say i think Yamaha can add a few satelite bikes in and increase budget as they owe it to their supporters as the second biggest manufacturer in the world
Just wandering off point...
Together with Kawasaki they are the team to beat in off road racing for the last 5 -6years in US and Europe . As for the slaying KLR/Landrover comment  sies Andrew--looking at motocross(ok not quite the same) in 20 years in US -Kawasaki leads by far is the most winningest brand- Just good memories thinking  US desert racing in late 80/90's remember Larry Roeseler, Danny Hamel  & Ty Davis - knuckleheads in green needs the heads tuned.

When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #685 on: January 14, 2022, 05:57:07 pm »
Yamaha is really a satellite team supported (what looks like begrudgingly) by Yamaha. They're racing with a souped up WR450F enduro bike built by a French Yamaha bunch. Not a bad way to do it. Toyota Gazoo has a similar setup and that works for Toyota. If and when it works, itíll be the archetypal little guy beats all the big guys stories. I donít think they have what it takes yet, but theyíre not very far off either.

KTM have the luxury of 95% of the field making up what is essentially an enormous ongoing laboratory for their engineers to gather data on what works under rally conditions. I'll bet, that their rally program must almost be self-funding... it might even turn a profit for them! If youíve ever crawled under/around one of their bikes and studied them up close, they are simply gorgeous! Nothing, and I mean nothing on those bikes doesnít breathe literally millions of Kmís of hard earned knowledge and quality. Where else can you simply plop your money down, no questions asked, and buy a bike 98% the same as the guy who won on it the year before? They, for the moment define what a rally bike is.

Honda went the other way, they threw obscene amounts of money, engineers, time and sweat on a bespoke bike that no one can buy for any amount of money.... that then mostly gets crushed or leads a quiet life in the Honda Museum tucked away from ever having to roll a wheel again on anything other than carpets. It's a closed shop with only really design cues and the odd mechanical titbit filtering down to their production bikes. I despair of their secretive ways. They have the might, knowhow, engineering brilliance and quality to make the rally bikes gorgeousness more accessible to the adventure community in the guise of a 500 class adventure bike. But don't.

Gas Gas & Husqvarna, they're part of that KTM laboratory above. I don't really get it other than to applaud them for absorbing other brands and then keep them alive. It's great for historical and sentimental reasonsÖ and the brand sluts I suppose.

Sherco? Don't know enough to comment. Not inspired enough to make anything up. Pity.

Kawasaki.... I Imagine a VP accountant at a gathering of CA's and old varsity buddies one boozy evening at a strip club in Chūō, Kobe, Japan, got a quick peek at a Honda's preliminary budget for year 4 of rally. That sobered him up fast enough for him to make a voice note to himself before he got ferociously drunk. Back in the board meeting next week, Kawasaki Heavy Industries made the call that it was cheaper and less risk to focus on industrial robots, gas turbines, pumps, boilers, engines, heavy equipment, aerospace and defence equipment, rolling stock and ships building.

Besides, the engineering principles that have so wonderfully given birth to the KLR, the Landrover (series 1) of the motorcycling world, simply donít work in rally; Rally bikes have to be feather light, blindly quick, amazingly nimble, excellent suspension and bullet proof dependable. 4 out of 5 just wonít cut it.

BMW? One. That's it, just one bike made it to the start this year. A privateer who only made 2 more stages before his 11 year old BMW 450x rally bike ended it's journey. BMW got all sulky because opposed twins of cavernous engine size became the victims of daintyfying cc changes. They had a last fart effort where they loped off one side of the engine, turned that the right way round and campaigned in a jaundiced fashion with the aforementioned starters bike. Make no mistake, in the right hands it was no slouch. Our very own @bonova (RIP Peter How) won his Amageza and took multiple stages on it. (It was heavily modified though)

Shoo! I wasnít intending for this post to come out like that, but it grew as I went! Sorry.

Do you for one moment think think that KTMs budget is smaller for Dakar than that of Honda?

The bike to budget ratio makes KTMís effort minuscule compared to Hondas gargantuan effort.

KTM produce and sell 150 rally bikes every year to customers. Those bikes are nearly half a bar each.  The bikes are an exact clone of the previous years factory bikes.

Honda makes 10 a year and crushes 9 of them. They offer nothing to the public. (Ok Iím making it up about the crushing thing, but nobody ever sees them again, so itís the same thing)
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #686 on: January 14, 2022, 06:17:02 pm »
Those Audi's have a 2.0l petrol engine onboard to charge the battery.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #687 on: January 14, 2022, 07:20:05 pm »

The bike to budget ratio makes KTMís effort minuscule compared to Hondas gargantuan effort.

KTM produce and sell 150 rally bikes every year to customers. Those bikes are nearly half a bar each.  The bikes are an exact clone of the previous years factory bikes.

Honda makes 10 a year and crushes 9 of them. They offer nothing to the public. (Ok Iím making it up about the crushing thing, but nobody ever sees them again, so itís the same thing)
Itís true not even Rossi could get a HRC bike  :deal:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Ace Venture

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #688 on: January 14, 2022, 11:08:46 pm »

Well he was offered a contract with them last year, but was tied into a 2 year contract with Yamaha,
They even offered to pay the court case to break contract.
But that has now expired post Dakar 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ace Venture

• Pack Dog
« Reply #689 on: January 14, 2022, 11:15:44 pm »
Honda had a solid team performance. All 4 in the top 7.

'KTM' won by the skin of it's teeth and you have to feel for Adrien.

I'm a big fan of Ross but Yamaha can really do with a better team.
Funny how Ross was approached by ALL the top teams last year, but he was locked into a 2 year contract with Yamaha which he pledged to honour.
Remembering all 5 of the Yamaha bikes failed last year, not really the riders fault.

Online voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #690 on: January 15, 2022, 01:18:41 am »

Funny how Ross was approached by ALL the top teams last year, but he was locked into a 2 year contract with Yamaha which he pledged to honour.
Remembering all 5 of the Yamaha bikes failed last year, not really the riders fault.

KTM, GASGAS, Husqvarna, Sherco and Honda?
Interesting.

There was a Yamaha in competition in almost all stages over the last 2 Dakar's.
Not sure how many of those stages were won by a Yamaha, but not many. Maybe 3?

I cannot believe the WR is that much behind the other bikes?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:44:05 am by voorvel »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #691 on: January 15, 2022, 07:26:52 am »

Interesting.

Read Kamanya's excellent post further back, it will explain Yamaha's position to you.

Yamaha should know, in racing there is no half-measures with machinery, like KTM should know in MotoGP.

Offline Ace Venture

• Pack Dog
« Reply #692 on: January 15, 2022, 09:09:44 am »

Interesting.

And some others

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #693 on: January 15, 2022, 09:38:46 am »

Well he was offered a contract with them last year, but was tied into a 2 year contract with Yamaha,
They even offered to pay the court case to break contract.
But that has now expired post Dakar 22.

You didnít read what he wrote @Ace Venture

He was referencing Rossi not Ross

Rossi tried to get his MotoGP bike, even just on loan and Honda wouldnít give it to him.
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #694 on: January 15, 2022, 10:00:15 am »
Well, congratulations on KTM's win.

And Yamaha did substantially better than last year.

Now Yamaha, for 2022 DAKAR, why not fit XT500 engines to those WR's??

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Chief cook and bottle washer
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • Specialised Adventures
« Reply #695 on: January 15, 2022, 10:05:08 am »

Where did you get that from? Honda has made a deal with PQ long ago, as KTM did with KB.
a Wise man once said absolutely nothing...

Online voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #696 on: January 15, 2022, 10:44:18 am »

Interesting.

Read Kamanya's excellent post further back, it will explain Yamaha's position to you.

Yamaha should know, in racing there is no half-measures with machinery, like KTM should know in MotoGP.

Although I liked his post, i don't fully agree with his Honda analysis.
It's not only the Yamaha that's a souped up production bike.
The Honda is an off the shelf CRF-X too, just like the WR is.

Both use stock motors and frames.

Main difference is money, which happens to also, amongst other things, buy better riders.

Look how close the final results have been. It's not as if the purpose built KTM rally bikes gave a huge advantage over their competition?
We are not exactly seeing privateers beating Yamaha or Honda pro riders, because of the massive advantage a KTM rally bike brings.
But that's my uneducated opinion of course. I have no more info about the setup of Honda and Yamaha, than what's available on the net.

Online voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #697 on: January 15, 2022, 10:50:01 am »
Naturally their stock motors are 'souped up' to between 65 to 70hp.
KTM is also in the 70hp range

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #698 on: January 15, 2022, 12:20:32 pm »
Naturally their stock motors are 'souped up' to between 65 to 70hp.
KTM is also in the 70hp range

That is a lot of horses from a 450, no wonder they go like clappers when they also weigh much more than a 701.

Offline Rynet

« Reply #699 on: January 16, 2022, 06:44:15 am »
Couldn't help share these happy photos, she deserves it. :ricky:

"Very happy to finish my first Dakar on four wheels, my 12th finish after the 11 I finished with bikes. I want to thank MAURIZIO GERINI for his great work in his debut as a co-driver, as well as the whole team and sponsors. And thank you so much to you as well for always being on the other side, supporting me!!! Already thinking of the 2023 Dakar!! "

Laia Sanz facebook