ICE BEAR to Clarence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
After a hectic week at the shop I really looked forward to the ride down to Clarence for some r&r . We booked accommodation at Eddies, nice place and very affordable. Asked questions about my proposed route via Heilbron and  Petrus Steyn . Was assure it was good , just a 10 km  detour between Sasol and Heilbron. ( dirt detour ) Not keen on dirt , I still decided to give it a try .
Saturday morning arrived cold , But we were geared for is , thermal top , thermal pant , riding jeans , A down jacket under my riding jacket , we were good to go . As we left home the temp on the bike shower 1.5 degrees , and shortly after that the 'ice" warning flashed on , this warning stayed on for most of the way . Wont lie , my hands were freezing . and even thou I had the heated grips on full it made little difference , could have been the thermal glove keeping the heat out .
In planning I asked for suggestion of a good breakfast pit stop along the way , OJ s in Heilbronn was suggested and it did not come soon enough , with frozen hands we stopped at the restaurant , it was open , we were the only clients in , ordered hot chocolates , and a mug of hot water the warm our hands . Can recommend them , food was great ,and the hot chocolate top die for . Heilbronn is just over 130 ks from Alberton and this restaurant could be a nice destination for a breakfast run once the road works has been completed .

The rest of the trip was nice , temp lifted a bit and we had a good ride to Clarence . Clarence is Clarence , still very popular , lots of visitors there as well as many bikers . couple of new restaurants that has opened where other closed . 
On our return yesterday I decided mid trip to try the bad potholed stretch between Reitz and Frankfort , Cars were still using it so thought how bad could it be , yes its bad , you have to be wake up up and dodge some potholes , then there are detour stretches that is dirt , but in reality on a adventure bike it is a easy ride , I could maintain 80kph easily and I am not a dirt road expert, but have many years of riding under the belt , maybe just full of crap , because the bike gets very dusty from riding dirt roads , and I am a bit OCD with a clean bike .

A nice ride suggestion would be , JHB to Heilbronn for breakfast , then on to Frankfort ,  Villiers , N3 home , or turn off and head past the Vaal  dam back to Vereeniging and Home .
Weekend turned out great , batteries recharge and can face another tough week .